Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother, Phil Nance, was with Bank Line from 1963 until about 1980. I'm keen to make contact with anyone who sailed with him. The ships I remember were Carronbank, Rosebank and Beaverbank.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I never met him but I believe he was the first Chief Officer to be taken into the head office for a six month period. The plan - as I understood it -was to take Chief Officers into the office on a rotation basis, 6 months at time, although for whatever reason your brother was the first and last!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for replying. I believe, though I'm not sure, he may have been made redundant as the result of telling the wheels how it was!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Thank you so much for replying. I believe, though I'm not sure, he may have been made redundant as the result of telling the wheels how it was!

That sounds about right, they were - at times - living in another age as evidenced by the various forms we had to complete on board for quarterly returns. They even spelt shown as 'shewn' an antiquated use of letters and when I first joined, these same forms still had 'storm canvas' on them, quantity in 'bolts'. This was 1970s and they sold their last sailing ship in 1912! That said I enjoyed my time with Bank Line - 3rd mate to chief officer. What did Phil move on to after Weirs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He didn't want to go back deep sea since he'd got a family so he joined Townson Thoroson cross channel ferries, which I fear he found a bit tame. He wasn't actually on the Herald of Free Enterprise when the tragedy happened thankfully but I'm very proud to say that the boatswain (or maybe assistant boatswain) mentioned him in his report to the tribunal as being the only chief officer he ever sailed with who checked that the bow doors were shut. Phil told me some time later that he had witnessed a similar accident overseas and so was punctilious about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sailed with Phil on the Beaverbank, he was 2nd mate, I was senior apprentice. We handed the ship over to the Greeks at the end of that trip.
Sorry it might have been the old Cedarbank. Captain Scott, I ended up in the hospital as the Greek rep got stuck in there when we were in bad weather Bay of Biscay. We had some good drinking sessions in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for this reply, my brother died prematurely (aged 44) and I'm so keen to hear tales of his adventures and to know how people got along with him.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
He didn't want to go back deep sea since he'd got a family so he joined Townson Thoroson cross channel ferries, which I fear he found a bit tame. He wasn't actually on the Herald of Free Enterprise when the tragedy happened thankfully but I'm very proud to say that the boatswain (or maybe assistant boatswain) mentioned him in his report to the tribunal as being the only chief officer he ever sailed with who checked that the bow doors were shut. Phil told me some time later that he had witnessed a similar accident overseas and so was punctilious about it.
Having lived in Dover off and on throughout my early life (Army child!) I was well used to seeing the Townsend-Thoresen ferries and my mother worked for them in the booking department. One thing Bank Line can be thanked for is instilling a very professional outlook on shipboard work and attention to detail, so Phil's actions were spot on. A real shame to lose him so early; you must have been devastated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My brother, Phil Nance, was with Bank Line from 1963 until about 1980. I'm keen to make contact with anyone who sailed with him. The ships I remember were Carronbank, Rosebank and Beaverbank.
I sailed with Phil on Clydebank June to Sept 76. Phil was Chief Officer and I was Radio Officer. This was a good ship with a good crew, we did a cir***navigation of the world under the command of Capt. John Appleby. I went ashore a few times with Phil and John while down in the Pacific Islands. According to my diary we celebrated the arrival of his first child, other than that I do not have any more memories. I was sorry to read about his passing. Sorry I cannot supply more info on Phil.
Regards.
Pat (Ex MIMCO R/O)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for responding; I'm in touch with his son so will let him know you all celebrated his arrival. Rosie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haha, not that my Dad needed much excuse for a drink ashore! i have found some old photos of his time onboard Corrabank and Fleetbank. He also sailed on the Laganbank as master, Crestbank, Speybank, moraybank, Hazelbank and Clydebank as Chief Officer. i was even onboard for a few sailings as a baby and i have a certificate to prove i met Neptune Rex! Of course i have no memory of any of these sailings which is a great shame.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Haha, not that my Dad needed much excuse for a drink ashore! i have found some old photos of his time onboard Corrabank and Fleetbank. He also sailed on the Laganbank as master, Crestbank, Speybank, moraybank, Hazelbank and Clydebank as Chief Officer. i was even onboard for a few sailings as a baby and i have a certificate to prove i met Neptune Rex! Of course i have no memory of any of these sailings which is a great shame.
I see you posted some pics in your profile but they are hard to find. Lots more will see them if you stick them up in the gallery. I recognise a couple of faces.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Dear Rosie,

I sailed with Phil on the 'Nessbank', September 1971 until May 1972. Your brother was 2nd Officer, and I was 4th Engineer. Captain Dave Vincent was the Master.... and what a wonderful voyage it was....
We left London on a 'Harrison Line' charter, and sampled all of the Caribbean delights, before loading in the Gulf of Mexico for Australia and Papua New Guinea.

I've got some very fond memories of that trip, and was deeply saddened to learn of your brothers passing at such a young age.
Captain Vincent has since 'crossed the bar', as has the 3rd Engineer, but I've no further knowledge or information as our paths never crossed again.

Take care, and may your God look after you,

Kindest regards,

Jim Harris.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much for this reply Jim; it's so good to hear that people have such fond memories. I've heard from a few others and I'm so glad I made this enquiry. All very best, Rosie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you so much for these Mike; he's second from the front left seated with eyes half closed, though I don't actually see him in the second photo, though his wife is there so maybe it was him taking the picture. I had already seen these but I can't remember who posted them, it could have been my nephew. It's so good of you to have taken the trouble; I've had some wonderful responses from people who had met him and it's meant such a lot to my sister and me and also especially to his son. Rosie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts