Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to relate that your ex Brocklebank colleague, Don A Macleod, who was a frequent contributor to your forum, passed away at Royal Alexandra Hospital, on Monday 26th November. Funeral took place at Ness, Isle of Lewis, on Saturday 1st December.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
This is the most awful news. Donald was the first person I ever met in the Merchant Navy when he was at the top of the gangway when I joined my first ship, Brocklebank Line's Matra in Royal Albert Dock in March 1964. He helped me carry my bags to my cabin. We sailed on 3 subsequent voyages together. We lost touch for a while but I stayed with him in Glasgow about 4 or 5 years ago and my wife and I always talked about accepting his invitation to stay with him on the Isle of Lewis. I am deeply saddened. RIP Donald, you were one of the best.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sad news indeed. We sailed with Don on the Maihar in '70; the only time but did a lot of catching up with him at the reunion 8 years ago. RIP Donald.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Rotten news.

I sailed with Don on 'Mangla' and a bloody good shipmate he was.

Strangely I was only thinking t' other day, "I haven't spoken to Don for quite a while. I'll give him a bell before Christmas".

His sudden death is, unfortunately, a sad reminder of how we can 'go' at any time.

PS Thanks Tony for letting me know. Phil

·
Registered
76 Posts
So very sorry to here about Don, I sailed with him on the Mahout in 1975 up to the Persian Gulf on a Hansa Charter then loaded in India for the UK. A great shipmate!!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I'm sure-----

Ray, I don't think so. I am virtually certain Don spent all his seagoing career with Brocklebank Line.
----you're right, Tony.

I remember having a yarn with Don on "Mangla" and him saying he had worked on her when she was being built at Rowans.

His 'inside' knowledge of her, (electrically), was invaluable as you can no doubt imagine!

Brock's was, no doubt, an automatic choice for him when he decided to join "The Merch". Phil

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ray, I don't think so. I am virtually certain Don spent all his seagoing career with Brocklebank Line.
Don's own post on ClydeMaritime:

dmacleod
Re: Brocklebank Line
Report this post Quote
Post by dmacleod » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:37 am

Great company and some fine ships. Spent my entire sea going days (13 years) with them.As well as apprenticeship on several new builds and repairs with Sunderland Forge. Happy days.
Donald Macleod

Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts