Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, my Mum used to worry about Dad, especially on the trawlers, but less so on tankers. The old boy spent two seasons whaling in the Weddell Sea and that was difficult for Mum too. After 5 months away, I knew when Dad was home - I got sent to Grandma's place so that my parents could 're-acquaint themselves'. Dad was a great guy, full of sea stories and fantastic engineering tales. I miss him - lost to medical misadventure in his 83rd year. I shall certainly look out that book you mentioned and thanks for mentioning that. I tried to get Dad to write his stories, and he was always going to ... but it never happened. If you, or any of the SN community, are thinking of writing, well get it done guys before it's too late!
All the Best, Doug.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just got that book ("The Luckiest Thirteen") here (in US) through Book Depository. Fascinating. See The Luckiest Thirteen : Brian W. Lavery : 9781909954229. Thanks for the info, RustyTrawler
Hi Mac i used to live near Tom Sayers, He was not a hull man ,he was from fleetwood he was a top earner out of both ports and a nice man . Brian Lavery also wrote a book called Headscarf Revolutionaries it is about the loss of the three hull trawlers in 1968 .My dad Ken Rudd sometimes used to sail with tom,and i used to go to school with one of his daughters,all the best rustytrawler

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Mac i used to live near Tom Sayers, He was not a hull man ,he was from fleetwood he was a top earner out of both ports and a nice man . Brian Lavery also wrote a book called Headscarf Revolutionaries it is about the loss of the three hull trawlers in 1968 .My dad Ken Rudd sometimes used to sail with tom,and i used to go to school with one of his daughters,all the best rustytrawler
Hi, Rusty (if you don't mind me being too personal). Yes. I saw that other book, but, since I live on my boat, buying a book means dropping a book and, since I was on a book-buying spree, I had run out of abandonable books. Maybe next spree!
Interestingly, I also bought a book written by a Brian Lavery ("In Which They Served") but not Brian W Lavery!
While I'm in a typing mood, I should also give Malcolm Cranfield's "Ocean Freighter Heyday" (Coastal Shipping Publications.... I have NO connection, except as a customer!), which is a book which will NOT ever be one to be abandoned.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Really enjoyed this thread. thank you.
See if you can get hold of a book called cape of storms Hugh popham, its about a trip on the hull trawler BRUCELLA in 1954 its a great book ,my dad was on the brucella and so was popham when he wrote it .Its a keeper and well worth reading ,regards rustytrawler

·
Registered
27 Posts
See if you can get hold of a book called cape of storms Hugh popham, its about a trip on the hull trawler BRUCELLA in 1954 its a great book ,my dad was on the brucella and so was popham when he wrote it .Its a keeper and well worth reading ,regards rustytrawler
Thanks. I'll be looking for it. I'll let everybody know if i find it, maybe there'll be a MAD rush of demand and they'll have to publish another couple'a thousand copies. More royalties to Hugh. That can only be well deserved.
Just did an internet search... did Hugh also write "The Sea Beggars" and some other books? See Hugh Popham | Open Library
Interesting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks. I'll be looking for it. I'll let everybody know if i find it, maybe there'll be a MAD rush of demand and they'll have to publish another couple'a thousand copies. More royalties to Hugh. That can only be well deserved.
Just did an internet search... did Hugh also write "The Sea Beggars" and some other books? See Hugh Popham | Open Library
Interesting.
HI Mac HughPopham wrote the book in 1957,he did his trip on the brucella in 1955 my dad was chief on her at the time .The skipper was Laurie Oliver,who had a big part in the second world war at sea....regards rustytrawler. just search HUGH POPHAM CAPE OF STORMS

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Interesting.
Dont forget to read about the three lost Hull trawlers lost in jan 1968 by B.W. Lavery 58 men lost in two weeks what a tragedy,regards rustytrawler.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dont forget to read about the three lost Hull trawlers lost in jan 1968 by B.W. Lavery 58 men lost in two weeks what a tragedy,regards rustytrawler.
Maaaan... I'm gonna have to buy a bigger boat to hold all these books... well worth it tho'!!! Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rusty. Will you please control yourself.
I've just moved from a bloody big house to a small flat, got rid (under Captains orders) of most of my books and I think the Officer Commanding would have me on the bridge if I got any more!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Rusty. Will you please control yourself.
I've just moved from a bloody big house to a small flat, got rid (under Captains orders) of most of my books and I think the Officer Commanding would have me on the bridge if I got any more!!
Hi rogd winter is coming you may need a good book to go with your tot of rum, you may also need the captain to bring you a bacon banjo good luck with that one,regards rustytrawler.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts