Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you venerable engineering types tell me what type designations B&W, MAN and Harland & Wolff gave to their double-acting 2-strokes.

Also, Doxford produced most of its LB, P and J models with a bore either of 670 or 760 mm but my old Lloyd's Registers occasionally come up with an exception, such as 650mm. Are these misprints ore were there other bore and stroke sizes available from Doxford.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bob, I worked in Kincaids where thery built B&W under licence from H&W and hence B&W. The opposed piston as I recall didnt have any prefix but the "poppet valve" - now pretty common, did. The first one K351 was in the Clarkforth of Denholm subsequently Kuwait SC. The first ones had letters like VT2BF or whatever. We simply referred to them by buildrs numbers and the bore....does that help....memory fades. I would have to rummage for the DA and fourstroke, but the opposed piston was 620 and 750bore. The fancy poppets were 740(need to check that one) and 840.....and then I went off to sea!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hello Rennie and Bob,
I have only joined the site today, which accounts for the great time delay!
I was employed by The Blue Funnel Line (Alfred Holt & Co.) who had some 40+ ships powered by H&W / Kincaid B&W diesel engines, double and single acting. The double-acters were all 8 cylinders, 550 mm bore and about 2000mm combined stroke (I need to check the last figure) with 24 pistons and 32 fuel injectors. When properly balanced (as ours were!), they were very smooth and relatively quiet, except for the rumbling of the rootes blowers. The single acting engines came in 7 cylinders with rootes blowers and later turbo-charged (Napier) 6 cylinders with gas pump fuel injection. All of these engines were 8000 bhp or a bit more, at 115 rpm. Actually, they ran better at 119 rpm but Holt's were very conservative in some ways and very progressive in others. The gas operated fuel pump development was a good example, for the time, of the latter characteristic. Virtually all maintenance was carried out by ship's staff with a very good back-up from the company's shore staff on Merseyside.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bob, I worked in Kincaids where thery built B&W under licence from H&W and hence B&W. The opposed piston as I recall didnt have any prefix but the "poppet valve" - now pretty common, did. The first one K351 was in the Clarkforth of Denholm subsequently Kuwait SC. The first ones had letters like VT2BF or whatever. We simply referred to them by buildrs numbers and the bore....does that help....memory fades. I would have to rummage for the DA and fourstroke, but the opposed piston was 620 and 750bore. The fancy poppets were 740(need to check that one) and 840.....and then I went off to sea!
Hi,
I went to sea with Denholms. They sent me to Kincaids Nov 74 to May 76. Some of the engines types were a direct license from B&W. When were you there?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts