Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day -

I will be up in North Wales in a few week's time & was thinking to go & have a look at the beached DUKE OF LANCASTER & was wondering whether any members can give me advice on gaining access to the area for photographs.

I am not seeking to get aboard, merely to take photographs & would naturally like to get as close to the ship as possible.

I can see the ship on Google Earth - is the seawall to the east of the ship accessible without trespassing ?
Presumably the quay on her starboard side is not accessible ?
Where is the best place to park [I've no objection to walking a mile or two !].

If you are able to help it would be very much appreciated, as would any other useful info.

I have Emailed the 'Duke of Lancaster Appreciation Society' but have had no response, their website is worth a look -

http://www.dukeoflancaster.net

Thanks in advance for any responses,

73s

Marco

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is 2 public foot path that run down each side of the stream which lead to the old dock were she is moored.

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is possible to get quite close to the ship on the rocky shore line immediatly opposite the ship. To reach this point park your car on the Solitare market site which has an old ships lifeboat adjacent to the main road (A548). There is a footpath left hand side leading under the main coastal railway line to the shore line. It is such a sad sight seeing this ship rotting away, but you should get good photographs, especially if the light is right. Good luck, Keith.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Duke of Lancaster hey day

It is possible to get quite close to the ship on the rocky shore line immediatly opposite the ship. To reach this point park your car on the Solitare market site which has an old ships lifeboat adjacent to the main road (A548). There is a footpath left hand side leading under the main coastal railway line to the shore line. It is such a sad sight seeing this ship rotting away, but you should get good photographs, especially if the light is right. Good luck, Keith.
Just stumbled on this site, as I am a regular contributor to the Bankline site - ( a bit further up!)

I am an ex Chief Officer of the Lancaster when she was in her Hey Day thrashing backwards and forwards to Belfast with 2000 plus passengers, and it is sad to think of her situation now. It reinforces my long held view that ships should have a noble end if pssible - just like humans deserve!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
COS918 / Keith -

Many thanks for your useful replies.
I agree with Alan re the final end for a ship.
This survival is so bizarre is that it certainly deserves a visit.
Hopefully she will be given the coup de grace before she gets into as bad a state of the paddler RYDE on the Isle of Wight.
I've been looking at Ordnance Survey maps in the internet where there is a half-hearted representaton of the ship & much useful info re public footpaths etc.

Thanks again !

73s

Marco

·
Registered
33 Posts
Marco. The ship is not identified on an Ordnance Map, however, you need an O.M. Landranger No 116. The ship is lying at Llannerch-y-Mor, Map Reference 795 178. A548 Flint to Prestatyn road. Good luck, Keith

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith -

Thanks for info & grid ref etc.

Using 'Streetmap' [which seems to be based on O/S mapping] I managed to bring up out a 1/25000 map of Llannerch y Mor & the the shape of the hull does seem to be vaguely visible, or at least the basin in the mud where she is lying.

Hopefully this link will work -

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=317547&y=379292&z=120&sv=llannerch+y+mor&st=3&tl=Map+of+Llannerch-y-mor,+Flintshire+[Town]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

If it doesn't, just go their their homepage & ask for 'Llannerch y Mor'

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

You need to zoom in to 1/25000 to see what I am on about.

The ship looks reasonably accessible, with footpaths on both sides of the creek & I am looking forward to getting there in about three weeks time.

73s

Marco

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Duke of Lancaster - cruises

Contributors might like to read about the " Duke of Lancaster" cruising which took place most summers in the 1960's. The company selected her from the 3 vessels ( the others being the " Duke of Rothesay" and the " Duke of Argyll". ) The cruises were usually 10 days duration, and we went down to Portugal and Brittany, also a different route cruising through the Scottish Islands on the west coast. A third destination wa Copenhagen and the Norwegian ports. A great time was had by all, and it was very civilised on the bridge, with no hassle at all. All ponced up in our best uniforms, and taking tea and coffee at regular intervals.

It was popular with regular customers, and being British Rail, we used to joke that they were all kept in sidings in Crewe during the winter months!

I met my wife of 45 years on one of the cruises, as she was in the hairdressing salon and she could hear my dulcet tones over the Tannoy before we met. Oh, sheer nostalgia!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Duke of Lancaster

In 1953 I signed off a ship at Belfast and travelled back to the UK on the BR "Duke of Lancaster" which was operating the Belfast to Heysham route.
A beautiful ship, after departure Belfast I was allowed to visit the bridge and remember the mate on watch telling me that they changed watch's when the vessel was abeam Pt of Ayre, I.O.M.
I believe that this is not the Duke of Lancaster mentioned in this post.
Maybe it was Duke of Lancaster 1, can anyone confirm this ???
Also, is there a photo around.

Cheers.........Glan

·
Registered
11,683 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but how did she get up on the beach there? Was she abandoned there or did she run aground? Seems remarkably intact for a ship that was both aground and abandoned -- lifeboats still there etc. No wreckers left in Wales?(==D)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but how did she get up on the beach there? Was she abandoned there or did she run aground? Seems remarkably intact for a ship that was both aground and abandoned -- lifeboats still there etc. No wreckers left in Wales?(==D)
She didn't run aground or is abandoned
Have a look here
http://www.dukeoflancaster.net/index.htm

·
Registered
11,683 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I visited the Duke of Lancaster last week with access by footpaths on both sides of the creek directly off the main road. Unlike the coast programme you are unable to gain adjacent contact to the ship due to security fencing and a vigilant security guard but either way with a telephoto lense you can get a reasonable picture or so. She is such a sad sight especially when you look at photographs in her operational splender.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts