Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:
On the British Merchant Navy site there has recently appeared a photo of an SD14 - Dunelmia of Metcalfe's:

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/dunelmia.html

Could anyone familiar with the nuances of the development of that design say if she is the 1971 or the 1977 vessel?? It looks to me like an earlier vessel in the series but there are so many detail differences in individual ships that I'd care not to be too dogmatic.

1971 vessel:
Built as DUNELMIA - then: ARDENHALL, MOOLCHAND, MASHCO STAR, DELTA II. 1993/SCRAPPED Mumbai 22 Sept 1993

1977 vessel:
Also sailed as: NEW PANDA, TRADE FORTUNE, TRADE FAIR, HALLDOR, MASHCO STAR

It does seem very unlikely though that BOTH vessels had TWO common names??

Cheers, Geoff

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Geoff,
It's the 1977 built ship. According to the book, "SD14, The Full Story" this ship, as "Halldor", was beached at Tapsakae, Thailand, on 9 April 2002 for breaking up.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave Edge said:
Geoff,
It's the 1977 built ship. According to the book, "SD14, The Full Story" this ship, as "Halldor", was beached at Tapsakae, Thailand, on 9 April 2002 for breaking up.
OK Dave, thanks.
Cheers, Geoff

·
Registered
103 Posts
I sailed on the Dunelmia in 1979. She was the second Dunelmia to be owned by Metcalfes. The Wee C/E from Oban had sailed on both ships amd only he could sort out the spare gear when it came on board as we were still getting stuff that had been ordered for the first Dunelmia. A great ship with a great crowd.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry but no. I was on her from May till September 1979. The first C/S was new to the company, ex RN and paid off in Mauritius, after that it was Vic Green. I paid off in Silvertown, London , and I think she went to dock in Rotterdam and was then sold.
Wee John

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I joined Dunelmia at anchor off Southend on 3/9/79 before discharging at Silvertown. Loaded general cargo for the Gulf, discharged and anchored awaiting new owners. Taken over by Shaw Savill and went light to Bunbury to load a cargo of titanium ore for Immingham. Signed off 26/1/80.
An odd thing about her was she had no stays on the foremast although having a 100 ton jumbo.
She was definately built in 1977.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
she had the largest jumbo ever fitted to an SD14 thats the reason for her heavy square shaped mast it did not need any stays.

cheers tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dunelmia/Ardenhall

I joined the Ardenhall (ex Dunelmia I believe) in autumn 1978 at Birkenhead. She was built in 1971 at Austin & Pickersgills. She was I believe sold to a panamanian co in 1981 and re named Moolchand. Served my time on her under a Capt Dougie Robinson Steve !!.

·
Registered
54 Posts
General Cargo

Greetings. Nice to see queries on the Dunelmia. I sailed on her several times with the Late Alec Stuart as master. We were on a Safmarine charter, Liverpool to all ports in SA. I had to test the jumbo and put 110 tons on her. Then I found the sheaves on the head blocks were worn through and needed replacement. That was from Mar 78 to Jan 79. The first one was from Nov 74 to Mar 75. I was lucky enough to sail on all the Metcalfe ships . Industria, Fidentia and both Dunelmia's. We handed the Industria over to new owners in Marseilles in July 74.
regards
Terry.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Greetings. Nice to see queries on the Dunelmia. I sailed on her several times with the Late Alec Stuart as master. We were on a Safmarine charter, Liverpool to all ports in SA. I had to test the jumbo and put 110 tons on her. Then I found the sheaves on the head blocks were worn through and needed replacement. That was from Mar 78 to Jan 79. The first one was from Nov 74 to Mar 75. I was lucky enough to sail on all the Metcalfe ships . Industria, Fidentia and both Dunelmia's. We handed the Industria over to new owners in Marseilles in July 74.
regards
Terry.
hi terry i ndid a run job on fidentia london to belfast in july 71 peter hagerty was mate jj rose was old man regards kev.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fidentia

Greetings. I relieved Peter Haggerty in Dagenham if memory serves. That was in July 71. I don't know if Peter did it but someone put a cement box around the suction pipe in the forepeak and we couldn't access 75 tons of Fresh water on a trip round the Cape from London to Karachi. i paid off in Hamburg Dec 71. Mad George MacIntosh was Master.
regards
Terry(Thumb)

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
A "super" in the 80's who'se answer to everything was a cement box.

Heard a rumour that he once ordered it by the truck load.

How's life Kevin ?.

JC

·
Premium Member
11,505 Posts
hi terry i ndid a run job on fidentia london to belfast in july 71 peter hagerty was mate jj rose was old man regards kev.

I got to know JJ Rose when I was living in Plymouth in the late 80's. He fell off a ladder while painting his roof and unfortunately suffered fatal head injuries. Denholms called and asked if I would represent then at the funeral. This was about 1989 I guess.

Anyhow, his daughter have me a pair of his cufflinks.... nice enamel pieces with the Diamond D flag. I wear them to this day.

Stephen

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
JJ Rose

How sad Stephen. Sailed with JJ as Old Man on Erskine Bridge - he was a character and a true gentleman.
Hadn't he served his time on Grand Bank schooners?

·
Registered
11 Posts
1971 M.V. Dunelmia

Hello
My first trip deep sea was on the Dunelmia, joined in Immingham 1971
sailed middle trade. then to south africa. up to Bandur shapour with Irainian flag on funnel shot at by Iraq gun boats near Khorrmashar. 6 Chieftains tanks with full crew. We where in Jeddah when they beheaded the Princess & her Boy friend. On to japan. Turbo fan Blower?
explodeD Summarita Straits aug/sep, Commie/Chinese gun boat on port side
Nat/chinese on starboard side, US airforce above. finally towed to Taiwain
then onto Kowloon,s H.U.D. for 3 months. all crew got £650.00 insurance money. Sat through Typhon tied up to the old QE 1 with no power. I left with a Postcard of Nathan Rd, & I was one of the lucky ones. finally made to Japan paid off in Oaska dec. So I think I would have been on the 1st one.
It would be nice if anyone out there was on this nice quite trip or knows anyone who was a shipmate.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 42 Posts