Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I can't comment about Duracell specifically but I can comment on two other makes of rechargeables which I have used over the last 2 to 3 years. They are two different sizes of battery and they have different levels of usage but I have to say I have been perfectly happy with both. One set which takes the greatest hammer must have been recharged at least 20/25 times and they are fine and hold their charge well. The charger was relatively low cost so I must have saved a few bob over the years.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I bought a 12 pack of AAs from Maplin, their own brand, I cycle them through a couple of high use things, still holding well after about 3 years. Must have been charged over 50 times.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
My wife has a very small personal DAB radio, operating from two AAA cells. She listens to it, using headphones, in bed every night to help her get to sleep. The radio remains operating until she wakes the following morning. The batteries last "up to 10 hours" according to the instructions and for sure they have to be recharged each day, ready for the following night.

There are 4 cells, used as two pairs on alternate nights. They have been in use for almost 3 years now so it seems that they can easily exceed the reputed "100 recharges" that I have seen claimed for such cells.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My reason for posting............

A few weeks ago i found three AAA rechargeable batteries which i bought from
a "£" shop years ago just to see how they would "hold-up".

I was pleasantly surprised when they held their charge for a very reasonable length of time and decided to invest in some new ones..........this time on the.........."You get what you pay for" theory.

I bought a number of Duracell rechargeable AAA batteries and am lucky if they power a set of cordless headphones for 30 minutes after a full charge.

On scanning through Google it seems i am far from being alone.

If anyone can recommend a manufacturer i would appreciate it.

S2182

P.S................ I note Duracell are selling a charger which charges to 85% of maximum in 45 minutes.
I reckon this would reduce the life of the batteries by 50% or so.

Any views?

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
The batteries that we have are "Energizer" rechargeable AAA type. They were selling as a pack of 4 batteries, complete with a charger, for £10 at B&Q and Tesco earlier this year. I bought a set to replace the non-rechargeable types that came in the remote controllers for a new TV.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Ron and also Farmer John for his "Maplin's" recommendation.

I may make an "each way" bet.

:)

What surprises me is that Duracell's NON rechargeable batteries are always superior to virtually any other.............and that their
rechargeable's are so disappointing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
NiMH Rechargeables.

I have a bunch of elderly VHF handsets, originally these had NiCAD based battery packs, which after years of use were pretty well crackered. Stripped them out and replaced the cells with AA NiMH Duracells - found them to be excellent, run all day with a reasonable TX/RX ratio and give the top TX power O/P (6W) no problem. Can't fault them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have at least 6 different makes of rechargeables the best by far are the vapex NI MH

mike

Ebay often do good deals on these

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
For what it's worth, rechargeables are not recommended for some battery powered devices. I believe it's because rechargeables have a different power curve to non-rechargeables (or something!).

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought a 12 pack of AAs from Maplin, their own brand, I cycle them through a couple of high use things, still holding well after about 3 years. Must have been charged over 50 times.
I bought some Maplin brand U2 (as they used to be called) rechargeable and their charger which takes 3 types of batteries, but found they give a very poor beam in the gas torch. When I put them on the volt meter after days of charge they still didn't give the full 1.5v or whatever that size gave. Yet put in a non rechargeable and you get a good beam and full voltage.
I use Energiser in kitchen and bathroom scales and have a spare one such that I can put it on charge straight away. They seem ok.
Don't get me on electric cars.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I usually use ordinary Duracell alkaline batteries and am happy with either them or the equivalent Energizers. :)
I have tried also two different capacities of Duracell re-chargeables and found both to be useless and a waste of money. :mad:

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
The difference is in the nominal voltage, the theoretical start voltage of a fully charged cell.
For zinc carbon and alkaline it is 1.5volt.
For NiCd and NiMH rechargeable it is 1.2 volt.
For practical purposes this means that incandescent lamps (torches etc), small motors and similar will have a lower starting performance, before drop off.
Rechargeables also have 'self discharge' or shorter shelf life than primary cells, hence not used in wall clocks etc.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Good old Duracell, we trust them, don't we? They have eaten more of my electrical bits than any other battery, and I don't mean a torch left switched on in Grannies handbag. They do seem to have fallen in quality over the last few years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts