Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us on SN have traveled or traded over the years with India ; Pakistan and Bangladesh .

The world news casts seem only to concentrate on local matters and some other countries ( which is understandable and I have no issue with that )
However there is a potential huge wave of the virus coming in the above mentioned countries .

Some quick statistics ; USA population 331 million
India ; Pakistan and Bangladesh 1,773 Million

About 5.4 times

One hopes that the higher temps. humidity and sunlight ( which apparently the virus does not like saves them )

Those countries have poor general health ; poverty and massive overcrowding .
Those of us who have visited and traded to those areas such as Calcutta and Bombay no that social separation of 6 feet is impossible , should the virus take over the effects will be the most dire in the world .
I find it strange that the world news has not addressed this probability .
I would like to hear members views on the subject ( and hope I am wrong )

One mans View Derek

·
Registered
933 Posts
As a fellow Canadian have you access to Al Jazeera or BBC World News on your cable? We do, and both give constant updates on the situation in India, etc. They make a nice change from our self-isolating, goatee-bearded PM's too frequent appearances on his front doorstep spreading gloom and repeating all the standard warnings for the umpteenth time.

Nick

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
It will be interesting to see how India fares, Modi's isolation order is not working as such a high proportion of the population has no fixed abode to lock down in and the desperate need to constantly forage for food will prevent real isolation. On the other hand the inbuilt natural immunisation of the population through generations of disease may prove the antidote that we westerners lack.

Bob

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
According to the "experts" here in the West, the virus does not fair so well in the Summer months (hot/warm weather).

Frank

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
According to the "experts" here in the West, the virus does not fair so well in the Summer months (hot/warm weather).

Frank
That's us facked then!

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
You mean it is cold weather that has gotten the virus thriving so well in Spain and Italy, and heat that has left my country nearly out of it so far? (Nine dead last night, highest number so far - must have been the cold snap.)

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Most of the deaths were in Northern Italy and Central Spain (Madrid) and in February the temperatures there are not to hot.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
COVID-19 was only found to exist less than 6 months ago (it was undoubtably already present but not identified). There has been no time to establish whether any temperature or climate related patterns exist.
The experts opine that if it behaves like influenza then warmer weather brings lower infection rates, but they do not yet know if it will behave like influenza.
Part of the lower incidence in warmer weather is actually due to the human body's ability to resist rather than the virus being less virulent. This would tend to explain the situation in Norway where the population would generally be acclimatised to a lower ambient temperature and thus have a genetic resistance to similar infections. The converse, with the same effect may be applicable in the Indian sub continent.
Nobody yet knows, we will have wait and see.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I think that is more to do with our behaviour. It was certainly thought so at school. The first sign of Winter bugs, off went the heating so that there was no excuse to stuff together indoors. Be outside just like in Summer.

(More UV in Summer, does that have an effect on the bug. It does cause DNA damage to the skin?)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I too have great fears of what may lie ahead for countries like India. I hope their leaders are laying plans, and that they prove effective.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
We hear little on the news about what's happening in the refugee camps where the virus would spread like wild fire if conditions, and environmental factors suit. Nor do we hear anything of the thousands who have trudged across to the Turkish border, only to be met by tear gas, and Closed signs.
It's hard to believe in our cocooned isolation being drip fed constant virus updates that these things are still going on, they haven't stopped. Even now for the majority it's not difficult. Stay indoors, stay 2 meters, wash your hands. The NHS,key workers, and Government will do the rest, and you will hopefully pass through ok, the state is doing its best.
But what about those crisis hit areas? Just doesn't stop because of a virus does it?

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
do we need space travel? Can we save the world population and its survival from its self? Answers on a postcard Please!
If sci-fi is an indicator of such things, of course we need to be able to go out to infest other planets and foul them up just as much as home.
We have already started fly tipping on the Moon and Mars. (Cloud)

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Perhaps we are on some celestial petrie dish which has just reached the right temperature for alien science's vaccine against the epidemic of human infestation to show signs of success.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Sky news reports more people in South Africa may have been killed by lock-down enforcement than the virus itself..
See here

1 - 20 of 21 Posts