1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a couple of emails from (it says) the DVLA
asking me to 'update' my information .
It contained a lot of very personal questions and
said it would take away my driving licence if I didn't reply.
I haven't answered it.
Is this a scam ?

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
GM George.

If you google "DVLA Scam" you should get something like this:

DVLA scam email warning
  • Published: Friday, 15 June 2012
https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121010140740im_/http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/do***ents/digitalasset/dg_4022917.gif
Watch out for emails claiming to be from DVLA asking you to verify your driving licence details via an online link – it's a scam. DVLA has not sent any such email, so if you get one delete it immediately.
Scam phishing email
There is a scam email in circulation which claims to be from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency). The email asks drivers to verify their personal details via an online link.
If you receive an email claiming to be from DVLA or any other government department or agency that asks for personal information, we advise you to delete it immediately.
Subject: Update Your License Details
We are currrently upgrading our database and all drivers are required to update and verify there driver's license details.To complete your license verification with us, you are required to fill out the form in the link below.
{Fake link}
Drivers that refuses to upgrade his or her details within two weeks of receiving this verification email will lose his or her driver's License and will have to take a fresh driving test.
We sincerely apologise for any inconviniences this might have caused you.
Thank you for your co-operation.
(c) Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Swansea SA6 7JL

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think that the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency might know how to spell licence. (with UK spell-check!)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
In my letter it said they would take away my monitoring license and in the heading it would seem you can pay by DD for electric vehicles. A scam but not a very good one,
Crawford.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Licence is a noun, license is a verb. Before learning to drive, you apply for a provisional driving licence, but the DVLA must license you to drive.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
In the UK we had driver's licences prior to 1934, when the mandatory driving test was introduced and they were renamed as driving licences.
In the US, and others, they have driver's license, apparently.
The simplified US spelling system uses the same spelling for both noun and verb.
Both Microsoft and Apple default to US spelling so that is what is used by the scammers.
Also they tend not to know the differences of there, their, they're. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts