21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
PAH !! ….. more spherical heresy. … :sweat:

·
Registered
26 Posts
... so, if/when this happens and you were still around, how would you approach navigation?
$1.00 minimum, for each interesting/original answer... (?HUH) :confused: (Smoke)

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/earth-magnetic-field-flip-poles-spinning-magnet-alanna-mitchell/

Taff
Flip the Flinder's bar, reverse all of the magnets in the binnacle as well as the quadrantal spheres, put an overlay 180 degrees out on the compass card, and swing the ship for residual deviation. Then adjust the magnets/spheres for minimum deviation.

It's not like anyone looks at it anyhow...

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Flip the Flinder's bar, reverse all of the magnets in the binnacle as well as the quadrantal spheres, put an overlay 180 degrees out on the compass card, and swing the ship for residual deviation. Then adjust the magnets/spheres for minimum deviation.

Jeremy, you have just won the jackpot for the most credible answer out of... well anyway, $10.00 will be on it's way to you as soon as you PM me your address. Please enclose a transfer for $20.00 to cover postage and handling, to my Nigerian address which I will forward by return.:cool:

Taff

·
Registered
3,065 Posts

What about my Wayfinder shoes? Will the compass be out of warranty?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

The Magnetic compass.
Oh yes threre is many who look at it. When undergoing an inspection by the US coast guard the rating who was doing the pilothouse inspection asked to see tthe laminted compass. Don't know what that is I told him and asked to see his check list.
It was a bad photo copy and some letters were missed. What he wanted to see was in fact the illuminated compass!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Magnetic compass.
Oh yes threre is many who look at it. When undergoing an inspection by the US coast guard the rating who was doing the pilothouse inspection asked to see tthe laminted compass. Don't know what that is I told him and asked to see his check list.
It was a bad photo copy and some letters were missed. What he wanted to see was in fact the illuminated compass!!
And these are the guys who are supposed to keep us safe! I was joking a bit about no one looking.

I have been asked to see the spare compass before, and of course the deviation table. I was master on a ship that had been detained on the trip before for an excessively large bubble in the compass. I often wondered what the previous Master had done to upset the PSC inspector to inspire him to look at something like that. I had the same inspector before and after and he never left my office.

I harp on the mates and AB's to watch the magnetic to know the CE in case the gyros fail and also to look for unusual anomalies. For a young captain, I am very old school about such things.

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
Barely. Well barely does the job with a tyre seems acceptable, like barely the proper change. Barely missed the reef is not as comforting.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Barely does the job with a tyre is likely to kill you. Soon as I got the current car and found to my astonishment there was no spare !! just as described above a bottle of foam and a compressor, I went on Ebay and bought a spare wheel with tyre.

Much more likelihood of getting zapped on a road than at sea without risking a bit of glue in a punctured tyre. :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
Much as it would sadden us on SN to have you lost to juggernaut while squirting up on the shoulder of the M1 that would be only you Bob (and suggest we were discussing 'barely' not 'almost'). a reef offers the opportunity to loose not only a ship but her whole crew, too.

As an aside. When run over my mentally unstable neighbour I held him off while deflating one tyre of the VW Van in which he did the running over. By the time I had rung the boy's in blue he had used the tinned tyre stuff and was racing down the drive at me again. Rather quick and effective I'd have thought.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Statistically you are in far more danger on the road than any form of sea transport I can think of, (with the possible exception of X boats.) And your direct point of contact with the road is a sliver of rubber, which really doesn't want to be glued up as a repair.

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
The energy converted in a sea collision/allision is vastly more than one on the roads (unless in some way your car, tyre rubber long vapourised, were to be re-entering the atmosphere after posing as an asteroid).

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Much as it would sadden us on SN to have you lost to juggernaut while squirting up on the shoulder of the M1 that would be only you Bob (and suggest we were discussing 'barely' not 'almost'). a reef offers the opportunity to loose not only a ship but her whole crew, too.

As an aside. When run over my mentally unstable neighbour I held him off while deflating one tyre of the VW Van in which he did the running over. By the time I had rung the boy's in blue he had used the tinned tyre stuff and was racing down the drive at me again. Rather quick and effective I'd have thought.
Your life cannot be described as dull!

·
Registered
698 Posts
You're lucky your drive is long enough to race down. Mine would be a mere lurch possibly one rotation of a tyre.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts