1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to send an email to by niece in Canada, I print several
lines of it and attach a photo.
Then the "send" button goes grey .
This only happens to this address in Canada.
I have sent test emails to friends and myself and they have all gone.
Anyone any ideas ?

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
It might be a problem with the picture file, for example if it is set to 'read only' then you cannot send, or forward, it.
Have you tried sending the same picture on your test emails?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be a problem with the picture file, for example if it is set to 'read only' then you cannot send, or forward, it.
Have you tried sending the same picture on your test emails?
Thanks Malcolm. I have sent a picture to myself and it went and came back OK.
Do you think it could be something to do with her email address or even Canada in general
Kind regards
George

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
If it is not a valid email address that should in theory highlight itself in the address box when you write it, but yes, it would then not let you send it and would grey-out the send box.
If it is a valid address, but incorrect, it should still send but 'bounce' as undelivered.
There might be a problem with the server at her end but that is unlikely to stop you sending.
I am guessing that you are using Microsoft Outlook. That should in theory work seamlessly with Windows.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I think it does but she hasn't replied (which she usually does) so perhaps[s it doesn't'
Have been on to BT as well but they are no help.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I have had a similar problem with Outlook where messages with a 'certain' (unknown) number/size of attached photos etc just stick in the Outbox and the whole thing goes grey and says 'not responding'. Necessitates crashing out and reducing the attachments after which it usually seems to work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had a similar problem with Outlook where messages with a 'certain' (unknown) number/size of attached photos etc just stick in the Outbox and the whole thing goes grey and says 'not responding'. Necessitates crashing out and reducing the attachments after which it usually seems to work.
Thank you all Gentlemen
Have just consulted my local computer expert (£40 a throw) and he says the problem is
with MS Edge. Changed me to Firefox and now all seems to be well

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Strange, the browser and email client are different things.
But stick with Firefox anyway, it is quite good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might try sending a shorter test message. If that gets through then the problem might exist with the size or type of attachment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might try sending a shorter test message. If that gets through then the problem might exist with the size or type of attachment.
Hi Just sent one to Canada with two attachments. She didn't receive it. What could be the problem with the attachments ?

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Does she receive emails without attachments?
Has she checked her junk mail folder?
Have you tried sending exactly the same attachment to another address?

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
If your son is receiving them then it is not a sending issue but a receiving issue - IE Her end.
It is possible that her own Internet Provider sets a size limit on attachments.
When that is the case the receiving ISP might reduce the size by blocking the attachment.
The other thing that might be blocked by some systems but not others is the 'file type'. - file suffixes like jpg or doc are OK but some others are blocked because they might contain Spam. Difficult to be specific because it can vary from place to place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Just sent one to Canada with two attachments. She didn't receive it. What could be the problem with the attachments ?
THere might be an attachment size limitation either by the email recipient or by the email provider. Some email providers have a 4mb attachment max.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your son is receiving them then it is not a sending issue but a receiving issue - IE Her end.
It is possible that her own Internet Provider sets a size limit on attachments.
When that is the case the receiving ISP might reduce the size by blocking the attachment.
The other thing that might be blocked by some systems but not others is the 'file type'. - file suffixes like jpg or doc are OK but some others are blocked because they might contain Spam. Difficult to be specific because it can vary from place to place.
Hi Malcolm Just had one from "[email protected]" saying he has been trying for 8 days to send to my niece at "sympatico.ca" without success.
So it looks like the problem is there.Spoke to her on the phone and she says she has received no emails with attachments

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Yes George, as I said earlier it 'bounced' - just took a long time doing it apparently.
I have had a look at sympatico and it is part of the Bell media group. so you have another layer to get through.
It still comes back to size, the attachment is perhaps too large for the Bell system to pass on, I would guess. There is even a suggestion on their website of compressing the file before sending it but I doubt you want that hassle.
Another alternative is 'cloud'
If you have something called 'One drive' on your computer then you can upload images to that.
If you don't have One drive then Google also do a free cloud storage. called 'Google Drive'
Once the image is on arrange for her access to it. She can then download the pictures directly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes George, as I said earlier it 'bounced' - just took a long time doing it apparently.
I have had a look at sympatico and it is part of the Bell media group. so you have another layer to get through.
It still comes back to size, the attachment is perhaps too large for the Bell system to pass on, I would guess. There is even a suggestion on their website of compressing the file before sending it but I doubt you want that hassle.
If you have something called 'One drive' on your computer then you can upload images to that.
If you don't have One drive then Google also do a free cloud storage. called 'Google Drive'
Once the image is on arrange for her access to it. She can then download the pictures directly.
Thanks Malcolm. Am having general difficulty in sending and receiving emails now. (BT tell me there is a problem with their system too)
Have sent normal emails (without attachments) to Canada but they dont seem to be getting through either.
Was recently chanced to Firefox. Could this be anything to do with it ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts