Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Administrator
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky news reports that an Egyptian ferry has sunk, no more details at the moment.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Ferry is Al Salaam 98 with 1310 passengers aboard. Lost contact with radar 62 miles out from Duba. Reports of one lifeboat with 3 persons aboard spotted by Egyptian search and rescue forces. also reports of many bodies in the sea. Weather condition are reported bad in the area. Vessel is apparently ex Itallian car ferry built approx 1970.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have just read a report on aol stating that the salaam 98 left the saudi port of duba last night the report states that she was hampered by heavy weather and disapeared of the radar there were aproxamatly 1,300 on board first reports do not sound good (Cloud)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
One of the Great disasters of ours days:She was the former BOCCACCIO of
Tirrenia di navigazone Italcantieri built 1970 Lane length 4,92 clear height 4,20.You can see in my gallery her sister LEOPARDI as she was built ,as you see very different.
Gp

·
Registered
773 Posts
Could be worse than first reported.
Local sources say manifest numbers are very often understated.
Normally they sail with something in the region of 2000 pax on board.

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Pat,

OK Doki Pat,
As sunset is falling in the area, some 100 persins are survived, and some 100 dead bodies found, we have to worry about those other 1000+[No official figures about how many were on board, but some saying at least 1400, but might be up to 2000]
You can watch a CNN breaking news video by clicking on ship photo in Watch----browse/search

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/03/egypt.ship/index.html

Vessel latest Safety Management Certificate was in Italy[10-2004]and expires on 10-2009, and that for a 35 years old Ro-Ro Ferry?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
rstimaru said:
Those upper decks looks just like a townsend thorson ferrie
As originally built (before those upper decks were added above the boat deck) she was quite a good-looking ship. After that, you are right, she looked just like a T-T ferry!

Ron

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I think TT added one, or at most two extra decks and I hated using them on the P&O services in the Western Channel in winter. This Italian ship seems to have had three or even four decks added! The Egyptian company bought two or three of these abortions.

Fred

·
Registered
16 Posts
HEY LADS its abad state of affairs the Egyptian ferry must have been a target if you know what i mean.Now its dark i think its bad news,as far as more survivers are concerned, we will just have to hope.
your aye Alan (bungy) Williams

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
One wonders how she complied with Solas 95 - Stockholm agreement stability requirements, my guess is she didn't. Unfortunately SMC's mean little as do DOC's with these sort's of companies, most only pay lips service to them (ISM) and local Falg States probably do not police full Solas requirements. Or maybe it was a catostrophic failure of the hull or bow door?
Eventually we will all find out I guess, until then conjecture will no doubt flow.
Such a loss for the families of the lost souls - may God (who ever and where ever he /she maybe) go with them! Be it an Ismalic or a Christian god! It matters not.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
From The Times on Line report: -

Hosni Mubarak, the President of Egypt, has ordered an immediate inquiry into the accident, questioning whether safety regulations had been obeyed. Suleiman Awad, President Mubarak's spokesman, said that the Egyptian government wanted guarantees that other similar ships comply with safety regulations.

"The speed at which the ship sank and the fact there were not enough life rafts on board confirm that there was a (safety) problem but we cannot anticipate the results of the investigation," said Mr Awad

Fred

·
Registered
17 Posts
Survivor update

BBC now reporting 300 survivors and CNN 263. CNN quoting Egyptian Transport Minister as source of information - BBC does not quote their source.

Brian

1 - 20 of 101 Posts