Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this interesting yet intriguing image was found in a derelict building in a old building in johannesburg south africa - it shows a ellerman and bucknall cargo ship - they used to call in sa waters ie city of york - durban - port elizabeth - york

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
One of the "Big Four". I worked for Ellermans from Apprentice to Mate and spent many happy years sailing around the South African Coast.

·
Registered
Bank Line ships 1953 to 1968, Apprentice to Master
1,485 Posts
Ellerman Ships...

I think the ship on the Johannesburg wall in a colour print was of the "City of Oxford" Class. This lead ship was built by John Brown's in Glasgow in 1948 and was the lead ship in a very large class of WWII replacement cargo liners with accommodation for 12 passengers.

They turned up in all Ellerman services so I presume they were allocated to the various lines as needed. Not being an Ellerman man, I need someone to confirm my assertion.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think the ship on the Johannesburg wall in a colour print was of the "City of Oxford" Class. This lead ship was built by John Brown's in Glasgow in 1948 and was the lead ship in a very large class of WWII replacement cargo liners with accommodation for 12 passengers.

They turned up in all Ellerman services so I presume they were allocated to the various lines as needed. Not being an Ellerman man, I need someone to confirm my assertion.
Alistair

The Oxford ended up as " Ellermans Yacht ". She used to take him South in Sept and North in April A good friend of mine was mate during this time. He told me he was due a new uniform but did not get it as Ellerman died.

I understand that one of Ellermans group was blind and Motor ships with the vibration made it hard for him hence keeping a steam ship.

I was Second Mate in the City of Glasgow in 71 and she had a complete set of accomodation for him and gang and it was locked up.

he did one part passage to the cape but got off at Las Palmas bebause of the vibration.

Alan

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mike

Looks like one of the steam 12 leaving Kapstad.

Alan
OOOOOPs need new glasses. Sailed as Mate on the Oxford on the Coast. We had a few of Sir John's buddies onboard but not him. Remember taking a turn round a few of the new oil rigs on the way to the Elbe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's a copy of a painting of the TSMV City of Port Elizabeth. This was my first ship 1953/54. It looks as though it's a painting by the same artist - again near Capetown. This picture was taken from a calendar.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
this interesting yet intriguing image was found in a derelict building in a old building in johannesburg south africa - it shows a ellerman and bucknall cargo ship - they used to call in sa waters ie city of york - durban - port elizabeth - york
That could well be the “City of London” which I sailed on as RO - 1961- SA - Cape Town> Port Elizabeth > Durban > Lourenco Marques and return to those ports to backload. Great trips with Goanese crew and wonderful curries

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely not the 'City of London'. Sailed on her UK - East Africa 1962 followed by UK - India 1963.
Re JRE motor ships. Sailed Voyage 2 'City of Glasgow' 1963. Left her for one year and returned to find JRE had her converted for his travel to South Africa and not liked it. Part of original officers accom. had been converted for him. It was now under strict lock and key !
My memory would say the above picture ex calendar is definitely a 'Big Four'
Stay save, stay at home
Searock62

·
Registered
43 Posts
Definitely not the 'City of London'. Sailed on her UK - East Africa 1962 followed by UK - India 1963.
My memory would say the above picture ex calendar is definitely a 'Big Four'
Stay save, stay at home
Searock62
Searock, I want to repeat. The picture at the top is definitely NOT a "Big Four" as she has two masts. The "Big Four" only had one - a foremast. I was 2nd R/O on the City of Port Elizabeth in 1954. Beautiful ship but the diesels vibrated everything.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Alistair

The Oxford ended up as " Ellermans Yacht ". She used to take him South in Sept and North in April A good friend of mine was mate during this time. He told me he was due a new uniform but did not get it as Ellerman died.

I understand that one of Ellermans group was blind and Motor ships with the vibration made it hard for him hence keeping a steam ship...........
Alan
I did part of my steam time on the 'Oxford in '70 & '71. I think it was was around October '70 we had Sir John onboard southbound when we were off West Africa we got a MayDay from the Esso Ulidia on her maiden voyage. They had had a boiler explosion badly injuring two engineers so we rendezvoused and transferred medical supplies..... and maybe the doctor? The passage of time may have allowed me to imagine the doctor! Anyone around who can confirm that bit?
Later, I was C/E on the 'Oxford when they set fire to the the British Embassy in Dublin at the start of February '72 and things got very nasty for anything flying the Union Jack so we beat a hasty retreat to Liverpool.Anyone else who was there at the time will know there was a bit more to that story!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I did part of my steam time on the 'Oxford in '70 & '71. I think it was was around October '70 we had Sir John onboard southbound when we were off West Africa we got a MayDay from the Esso Ulidia on her maiden voyage. They had had a boiler explosion badly injuring two engineers so we rendezvoused and transferred medical supplies..... and maybe the doctor? The passage of time may have allowed me to imagine the doctor! Anyone around who can confirm that bit?
Later, I was C/E on the 'Oxford when they set fire to the the British Embassy in Dublin at the start of February '72 and things got very nasty for anything flying the Union Jack so we beat a hasty retreat to Liverpool.Anyone else who was there at the time will know there was a bit more to that story!
Tim

When you were in the Oxford doing your Steam Time was Hugh Owen the Mate. I sailed with him twice as Mate when he was Master Delhi in 74/75 and Dundee in 77. i am still in contact with him he is 88 now

Alan

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Tim

When you were in the Oxford doing your Steam Time was Hugh Owen the Mate. I sailed with him twice as Mate when he was Master Delhi in 74/75 and Dundee in 77. i am still in contact with him he is 88 now

Alan
Alan,
That's really good to know that Hugh is still with us - give him my very best wishes when you are next in contact. He can presumably confirm or deny my Sir John's doctor story?!
Memory is very strange. I recently wrote a book (Ships With Everything), a mainly non- technical narrative of my 60 years involvement with ships. I did it principally for the grandkids because it occurred to me that they are unlikely to ever have the experiences that our generations had whilst working in the marine industry. What I found was that I appeared to have good recall of most of the important events but the retained detail varied hugely. For example, I have very little memory of the air start line explosion and it's aftermath on the 'Poona that nearly cost me my eyesight but I can recall in vivid detail 3/E Jimmy Genner on the 'Hereford falling down the ER stairs when coming on watch at midnight whilst carrying a bowl of peas(Jester)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Alan,
That's really good to know that Hugh is still with us - give him my very best wishes when you are next in contact. He can presumably confirm or deny my Sir John's doctor story?!
Memory is very strange. I recently wrote a book (Ships With Everything), a mainly non- technical narrative of my 60 years involvement with ships. I did it principally for the grandkids because it occurred to me that they are unlikely to ever have the experiences that our generations had whilst working in the marine industry. What I found was that I appeared to have good recall of most of the important events but the retained detail varied hugely. For example, I have very little memory of the air start line explosion and it's aftermath on the 'Poona that nearly cost me my eyesight but I can recall in vivid detail 3/E Jimmy Genner on the 'Hereford falling down the ER stairs when coming on watch at midnight whilst carrying a bowl of peas(Jester)
Tim, Is your book available on line? It would make an interesting read

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Tim, Is your book available on line? It would make an interesting read
Ah! It is but it was never intended to escape outside my immediate family. I need to have a think........
Tim G
PS Don't think the bit about Jimmy Genner and the peas is in the book!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts