Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read/heard somewhere that at the end of WW2, there was a debate in the Company about the comparative economics of the 'new-fangled' diesels and the traditional steam turbines. In an attempt to settle this, Ellermans decided that their order for 6 new ships of about 10,000 tons gross for delivery in 1946 would have half of the ships steam turbine powered, the other half would be motor ships.

I have been able to identify only 5 ships fitting that brief description, two steam ships and three motor ships, namely:

Vessel/Callsign; Tonnage; Official Number; Month, Year of Delivery; Builder

ss City of Carlisle/G???;
Tonnage: 9,913 gross; 181???; ????? 1946; Cammell Laird, Birkenhead

mv City of Khartoum/G???;
Tonnage: 9,955 gross; 181014; January, 1946; Barclay Curle, Clydeholm

ss City of Lucknow/GDSP;
Tonnage: 9,972 gross; 181017; May, 1946; Denny's, Dumbarton

mv City of Poona/G???;
Tonnage: 9,962 gross; 181028; July, 1946; Swan, Hunter Neptune Yard

mv City of Swansea/G???;
Tonnage: 9,959 gross; 181016; April, 1946; Barclay Curle, Clydeholm

If anyone can clarify whether there were in fact 6 ships or if indeed only 5 were ordered, I would be very grateful.

If there were 6 ships, what was the name of the missing one?

Can anyone provide the 4 missing radio callsigns and the City of Carlisle's official number and month of delivery?

A good deal of internet searching has not helped me so far, but others are better researchers than I and have better resources than Google provides, so I am in hope that they can help.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hi Ron.

CITY OF CARLISLE- official number 180816 - callsign GBJK

Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ron
They also did the same with the Twin Screw Steam 12's. Hull :London: New York and Pretoria The 5th ship was the Johannesburg in 47. She was twin screw but a Motor ship.
Alan

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
#2 , Thank you for that, Hugh.

However Clydesite shows the City of Swansea to have O.N. 181016 so there remains some doubt. That is confirmed by the Crew List Index Project (CLIP) website.

I had guessed that the O.N. for City of Carlise would be either 181015 or 181018, since the other ships' official numbers ran almost in sequence, but those numbers were assigned to non-Ellerman vessels.

The mystery continues for the present.

Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
415 Posts
#2 , Thank you for that, Hugh.

However Clydesite shows the City of Swansea to have O.N. 181016 so there remains some doubt. That is confirmed by the Crew List Index Project (CLIP) website.

I had guessed that the O.N. for City of Carlise would be either 181015 or 181018, since the other ships' official numbers ran almost in sequence, but those numbers were assigned to non-Ellerman vessels.

The mystery continues for the present.

Any suggestions anyone?
Ron
The last was City of Durham built by Cammels in Birkenhead. Sorry not able to supply ON.
They were all Fast Standard ships designed towards the end of WW2. Known as " Ministry Ships " in Ellermans. The Khartoom Swansea and Poona were sold to Ben Line in the late 60's.

Alan

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for that, Sid. Missed her because she was started in 1944 whereas the other 5 were not started until 1945. All were delivered in 1946 so I assumed they were all started in the same year.

She had the greatest tonnage of them all - something must have been modified (on ships ordered later in the series) that lost a bit of space somewhere.

Her O.N. according to the CLIP site is 169434.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hello Ron,
I am satisfied the official number quoted by me is correct but I hope this will put your mind at ease.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9157389

If it doesn't then I am afraid the only way you will know for certain is to obtain the logbooks for her - there are plenty.

Ship callsigns -

CITY OF KHARTOUM – GBZC
CITY OF POONA – GBJT
CITY OF SWANSEA - GBZT
CITY OF DURHAM - GBJM

Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Apologies, Hugh, you are absolutely correct as always. I obviously need to go to Specsavers, because I confused 181016 and 180816 - or it was some variant of senile dyslexia. (Jester)

Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I sailed on ss City of Durham for a year 1960-61. She was the first of that class, built in 1945. No bridge wing cabs on her.
Andy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts