Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They make it almost seem an attractive job. Then there is reality and reality - young men of good character and sound physique! Really! But then I did have a good time.
physique

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was very envious of my pal in Ellermans - he used to tell me of marvellous runs ashore in exotic Ports whilst all I had experienced up to that date was runs ashore from BP Tankers in Kharg Island (onion beer!) and Isle of Grain.
The guy in the photo is holding that Sextant a bit strangely- has he had so many runs ashore that he has forgotten how to use it? <smile>
Regards, Mike

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I was very envious of my pal in Ellermans - he used to tell me of marvellous runs ashore in exotic Ports whilst all I had experienced up to that date was runs ashore from BP Tankers in Kharg Island (onion beer!) and Isle of Grain.
The guy in the photo is holding that Sextant a bit strangely- has he had so many runs ashore that he has forgotten how to use it? <smile>
Regards, Mike
Looks OK to me , same way I used to hold the sextant .

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
They are all using ones with a false horizon and trying to drain the alcohol from the bubble. Note the passenger ship teacup etiquette of the observer to the right of this photograph.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
The middle 'shooter' is using his left eye. The other two are using their right eye.

The photo is from the Academy at King's Point on Long Island.

I wonder if anyone ever had a bubble sextant on board? I remember being told that they were not useful at sea. I wonder.

If you are desperate for a bit of alcohol... take it from the standard compass. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Joined my first ship a Denholm's tanker in Jan 1974 and can still remember when going through Gatwick airport there was a huge recruiting poster for Denholm's saying 'We manage 1% of the total World tonnage' and I believe they did at the time mainly due to the amount of large tankers they had at that time.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
World's 'FREE' tonnage. Not including China & USSR. I'm sure about the USSR fleet. I am sure that fleet is not operated from one head office at '120 St Nevsky Street!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The middle 'shooter' is using his left eye. The other two are using their right eye.

The photo is from the Academy at King's Point on Long Island.

I wonder if anyone ever had a bubble sextant on board? I remember being told that they were not useful at sea. I wonder.

If you are desperate for a bit of alcohol... take it from the standard compass. :)
I sailed with a 2/O who had bought and tried an ex RAF bubble sextant for taking Sights and he told me that it was not very accurate for use at sea.

I have an ex Sunderland Flying Boat sextant , which is a reduced size marine sextant.
I am told that the Sunderland Navigators would use a bubble sextant when in the air , when there was no visible horizon, and then use the reduced size marine sextant to fix their position more accurately when they landed on the water.
Regards, Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike

Makes sense. Flying above the clouds for a large part of the time would be a challenge for an horizon! Guess the cockpit would be a restrictive for shooting a high altitude sun and standing on the 'bridge' wing is not a real option.

Just dug out my old sextant and it instinctively sought out my right eye - makes me a right 'eyer' from the perspective of astro navigation. Felt odd and awkward when I forced it onto my left eye....

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is my era. From 1967 till 1969 I had every Cadet Brochure ever printed and after years of deep study I choose Texaco, what a prat.
I only wish I'd have kept them if only to remind me of a way of life no longer open to todays youngsters.
I remember the BP brochure which gave pay scales up to Second Engineer and in 1969 it was £2400 per year, a Kings Ransom and today it wouldn't pay for a good weekend.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Warsash mid 70s when ships where short of officers and crew Mobil had a couple of recruitment drive evenings in the back room of the Silver Fern. They where held atr 1700ish onwards - just enough time for finish of last ;lecture and a hoof it up Newtown Road - and they paid for the drinks!!! They were also giving out Mobil merchandised circular (round) slide rules.Worked a treat - many pints of bitter and a circulalr slide rule when most of us couldnt even use the staright flat one!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
They make it almost seem an attractive job. Then there is reality and reality - young men of good character and sound physique! Really! But then I did have a good time.
physique View attachment 686858
I saw an Ellerman ship in drydock in East London SA whilst doing my first trip as a junior engineer on a chemical tanker and immediately joined them when I had completed that voyage .... It was like working in a time warp and I dont think that Ellermans had ever acknowleged that the days of the British Raj where finally over ! Some beautiful classic ships and some truly wonderful people ... Times never to be forgotten !

·
Registered
278 Posts
I saw an Ellerman ship in drydock in East London SA whilst doing my first trip as a junior engineer on a chemical tanker and immediately joined them when I had completed that voyage .... It was like working in a time warp and I dont think that Ellermans had ever acknowleged that the days of the British Raj where finally over ! Some beautiful classic ships and some truly wonderful people ... Times never to be forgotten !
If it was the City of Singapore in drydock in East London I was third mate on her at the time, early 1975

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it was the City of Singapore in drydock in East London I was third mate on her at the time, early 1975
Thats correct ... I think that she had been aground off the South West Afican coast ... We had called in on a Panocean tanker for bunkers ... My first ship with Ellermans was the City of Oxford .....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thats correct ... I think that she had been aground off the South West Afican coast ... We had called in on a Panocean tanker for bunkers ... My first ship with Ellermans was the City of Oxford .....
yes we had been aground in Lobito, Angola. Dry dock for repairs in East London

1 - 20 of 20 Posts