Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My aunty Mary Goscombe was a Stewardess on the Empress of Canada, she went missing presumed overboard in February 1964.

·
Registered
2 Posts
carmelarocha

I knew your aunt Mary well.I was a BRS onboard the Canada and worked with her on many occasions.Seeing her name brought back fond memories from all those years ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I emigrated to Canada in July 68 and was trying to find a site where the passenger manifest would be.
I still have most of the dining room menus from the trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dad was the Chief Purser on the Canada up until it finished. His name was Reg Pitt-Brooke. Wondered if anyone remembers him?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm happy to find this! Thank you! We immigrated to Canada sailing the Empress of Canada in July 1967. Princess Grace & Prince Rainier of Monaco were aboard and we played with their youngest children in the day care. My mum and Grace Kelly met getting their hair done and their husbands met chatting at the day care. They all met up and my parents were invited to eat at the captain's table that night and a few nights after too. Respectfully, no photos were ever requested by my parents. My bro wasn't old and bold enough! I'll see if we have any photos of us on deck or the interior etc., this could take a while... best wishes, Debbie

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dad was chief purser that trip and therefore responsible for Princess Grace. I have the letter he wrote home to my mum in which he talks about her and the children.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is so great you still have the letter. I hope your dad had a positive and memorable experience with Princess Grace. My mum said she was very warm, down to earth and had a fun sense of humour.

My dad was chief purser that trip and therefore responsible for Princess Grace. I have the letter he wrote home to my mum in which he talks about her and the children.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dad was the Chief Purser on the Canada up until it finished. His name was Reg Pitt-Brooke. Wondered
My dad was the Chief Purser on the Canada up until it finished. His name was Reg Pitt-Brooke. Wondered if anyone remembers him?
of course I remember him- I sailed with him for several years- a super boss and friend
Marshall Christie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Marshall. I remember your name so well. I loved going on board in Liverpool with mum when the ship docked. And I did a "there and back" trip in 71(?). Mum sailed with dad for the last trip. I still have so many things from the ship, including the bell! We also still have dad's hat and, sadly, the flag that covered his coffin and then his ashes. Mum only died 5 years ago at the age of 92. We put a lovely picture of them both on her order of service and had dad's name put on mum's grave stone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marshall. I remember your name so well. I loved going on board in Liverpool with mum when the ship docked. And I did a "there and back" trip in 71(?). Mum sailed with dad for the last trip. I still have so many things from the ship, including the bell! We also still have dad's hat and, sadly, the flag that covered his coffin and then his ashes. Mum only died 5 years ago at the age of 92. We put a lovely picture of them both on her order of service and had dad's name put on mum's grave stone
My address [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad, John Beaton sailed as an engineer on the Empress Of Canada. He has such fond memories of her. Not sure of exact years, will need to check. He would love this thread, will need to show him.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts