Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just signed up with Energy Guard Insulation to have the inside of our roof spray insulated.
It will cost £3000.
Has anyone heard of this and/or has experience of this firm.
I am a little worried now because he was a very plausable salesman !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Something similar was on rip off britain last year, their expert did not think it was suitable in most of the installations it was done on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One of the problems with the spray insulation is that it can prevent the ventilation needed in the roof space to prevent rot, that is why the modern houses have under eve ventilation, plus ventilation tiles in the peak of the roof space. They contacted me last week, and are a bit pushy, the surveyor will call on you tomorrow etc, no thanks i don't deal with things over the phone/ But would not have it done myself

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
George GM: We had this polyurathene insulation applied to the 90m2 roof of our previous house in Dorset over 25 years ago. I remember the salesman being pushy, but he was very thorough and the job was completed as specified for a cost of around £ 3000 including a written 25 year guarantee. They were very careful to ensure that all the slate tiles were in place and undamaged before work commenced and that there was a ventilation gap left under the eves. The overall result was excellent. Our heating costs were instantly halved and the soundproofing extraordinary. We moved to France about 10 years later and at that time had no cause to complain. There was no rot in any of the roof timbers.
On reflection, I would recommend this treatment to anyone who needs to renovate an old slate roof which is suffering from nail rot - it is about 1/3 rd of the cost of the alternatives. The so called experts who knocked this treatment tended to have little if any actual experience with the resulting performance.
Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
haswellian

If this insulation is sprayed directly to the inside of your roof you are wasting your money. If water gets in it could go undetected until the timbers rot causing expensive damage, best to cancel.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was almost pressurised into it by a very smart salesman.
I signed up and paid £300 deposit.
After a long think and family discussion I changed my mind and cancelled.
The next day so well within the statutary 14 days.
They didn't turn up to do the job and I have asked for my deposit back.
Complete silence from EG.
What do I do now ??

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Just advise,in writing, that they have 7 days to return deposit otherwise trading standards will be notified.
Geoff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hope you get your deposit back, keep at them. Trading Standards? Watchdog? or is there an ombudsman able to help? It may not come to that and a cheque arrives soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts