Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes, I believe it was called thin walled mechanical tubing.

I was involved with the building of 5 product tankers (JP5) in Tampa Florida and they actually fitted solid drawn 1" -1.5 round bar as handrail all over the ER, then painted it which prevented you from sliding down the ladders.

Also the bottom plates instead of being checker plate as they used higher up was open grating not a good idea. Between the Japanese and American designers the ER was a bit of a c**** up by modern standards I had just left.
Even cheaper, there were no pneumicators fitted to the DO or HFO deep tanks.
This was 1984 and yet I sailed on British ships built it early 50's that had pneumicators on all fuel tanks.

Opposite to that they had a pto generator off the ME and the 3 Cats could start up automatically and go straight onto the swb without human intervention.

Whilst on trials just running Full Ahead on the pto, the super said, "Right, I want you to put the telegraph to Half Astern, and will see how good everything is".
Apart from a few bangs and crashesa puff of smoke out of the tbb it actually worked.
I am sure some of the shipyard Eng Mgt were thinking were can I work next, or will the whole lot blow up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
As a sparks I never knew much about engineroom work.

I've often wondered -

Exactly what does an Engineroom storekeeper do ?

In factories and other large establishments I can imagine a scenario where people are back and fore after various bits and pieces.

But a ships engineroom doesn't have that many workers so the demand for spares cannot be so constant as to justify one bod specifically set aside for that one task ?

Can someone enlighten me ?

Thanks.
When I was on the Bibi in 1970 we had an ER Storeman who was treated as a p.o. Also a Donkeyman who did the 12 to 4 at sea and 12 to 8 in port.
Also two Firemen who were day workers under the Storeman

·
Banned
449 Posts
As a sparks I never knew much about engineroom work.

I've often wondered -

Exactly what does an Engineroom storekeeper do ?

In factories and other large establishments I can imagine a scenario where people are back and fore after various bits and pieces.

But a ships engineroom doesn't have that many workers so the demand for spares cannot be so constant as to justify one bod specifically set aside for that one task ?

Can someone enlighten me ?

Thanks.
Good supply Thom lambmont pump brgs jointing, grease,coconut matting/mat,rags/ gunny sacking,ect ,ect,ect.

·
Banned
449 Posts
When I was on the Bibi in 1970 we had an ER Storeman who was treated as a p.o. Also a Donkeyman who did the 12 to 4 at sea and 12 to 8 in port.
Also two Firemen who were day workers under the Storem interesting but intriguing to know why!!We get get the picture sunrishine,we know about donkeymen firemen and wot they do,so making Storeman think he's a P.O.would hack me off too

·
Banned
449 Posts
The Engine Room Kussab on Texaco Glasgow (Ex Caltex Liverpool) in 1968 proudly told me that he owned a farm with a house at each end of the land. In one was his old wife for good company and feeding and in the other was his young wife for 'Plenty jig jig Sahib!
No wonder the youger guys Holiday in Bangkok,no chance and Thai chick's non too keen,I've been told.

·
Banned
449 Posts
In my day all of we youngsters usually slid down. Just pick up our feet and slide on our hands. Sometimes gloves sometimes not. Handrails were sturdy steel pipes polished very lightly oiled. The tightness of your grip controlled descent speed.

Greg Hayden
Vista, CA USA
Make sure both sides oiled evenly OK.
Then you'll be good to go

21 - 31 of 31 Posts