Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
This is my first message on this forum and I am looking for help to get background on a few English fishing smacks sold to Sweden just about 1900. I dont know if I am in the right forum so I ask you first before I present my questions. When English fishermen went over to steamers they sold many old sailing smacks to Scandinavia and to indentify some of those is what I want.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I have now been able to read a little moore what is in the forum I understand that this is the right forum for my questions. Here comes the first once.

There was a fishing smack on the west coast of Sweden bought from England and with the namn "Little Ethel". I have no other information than it came from England in the first decades of 1900. How do I trace this smack? Is there anybody who have heared that namn?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I think that this is your smack, imar.

LITTLE ETHEL (GY140) sailing trawler ketch rigged
O.N.94076. 68 tons 72.5 x 19.0 x 9.6 feet
Built 1888 by Furner & Leaver, Grimsby for Joseph Dennis, New Clee, Lincs. 28.2.1888: Registered at Grimsby as LITTLE ETHEL (GY140). 11.1896: Sold to James Cross, New Clee, Lincs. 1.1898: Sold to Arthur Henry Barber, Grimsby. 1899: Sold to Sweden. 30.3.1899: Grimsby registry closed "Sold to Swedes".
Gil.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Gil. It seems to be the right one. Can you tell me what means O.N. 94076? Is it a local registry or a domestic. I will come back shortly with another one. I suppose there is no information to whome it was sold in Sweden.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is another one which appeared in my willage on the west coast of Sweden. Its name was "Deerhound". I have a photo of her from about the last years of 1930 but I have no information from where in England she came or when. Any body who knows?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
O.N. is the Official Number allocated to all British & Commonwealth vessels that are fully registered and stays with the vessel throughout her life whilst on the British Register.
DEEHOUND is a tall order, there were at least six sailing trawlers that carried that name; do you have anymore details?
You may well be going over old ground, another Swedish researcher, Göran Olsson may already have the details. Do you know him?
Gil.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Gil. I have to think if I can find any detalis about Deerhound and come back to you. Just to be sure, can you confirm that you lost an "r" in the namn. You wrote Deehound.

In the meantime I will try another one. This smack was called "Enavant". It sounds strange to me. It is definitely not a Swedish name but it does not sound very English either. It has been described as an English smack for me. I have no further information about Enavant.

About Göran Olsson I don´t know. I can´t remember any such name. Do you know where he is living?

Another thing I wonder. Is there any possibilities to see in this forum if a name have been discussed. I can´t find any such possibilities.

Imar

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
EN AVANT is easier.

EN AVANT (GY457) Sailing trawler ketch rigged
O.N.99674. 74 tons 73.7 x 20.3 x 10.4 feet

Built in 1892 by G. & T. Smith, Rye for Joseph Smith, Grimsby. 10.5.1892 Registered at Grimsby as EN AVANT (GY457). 10.1899: Sold to Sweden. 25.10.1899: Grimsby registry closed "Sold to Swedes".

Yes sorry DEERHOUND. As far as I know Göran also lives on west coast of Sweden and has done considerable research into Swedish fishing vessels, including those bought from UK.
Gil.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again Gil,

Thanks for the EN AVANT and for the adres of the very useful website.
EN AVANT was the one I was looking for and now I have been working on that website you recomended in order to find the right DEERHOUND. There was a lot of them of different kinds.

Lokking at the size of the others that was bought from England, Little Ethel 68 tons and Enavant 74 tons, both rigged as ketches, I beleive that I have to look for a ketch in about the same size.

There we have Deerhound ON 83547, built in Galmpton 1881 and 80 tons. Reg closed 1899 (no reason mentioned unfortunately). Built for James Thorpe, 231 Freeman st, Grimsby.

The one I have on picture is a ketch and the picture is from the last years of 1930, but I do not know how many years that was after she came to Sweden.

It is just a guess so far but I wonder if there is any chance that you could find out why her register was closed 1899?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
This is almost certainly your smack but I do not have complete details of her.

DEERHOUND (GY807) Sailing trawler ketch rigged
O.N.83547. 80tons

Built 1881 by W. Gibbs, Galmpton, Devon for John Russell, New Clee. Lincs. 7.1881: Registered at Grimsby as DEERHOUND (GY807). 1889: Sold to James Thorpe, Grimsby. 27.9.1890: Sold to Frederick Woldemar, Grimsby. By 1896: Sold to Thomas Dobson, Grimsby. 10.1899: Sold to Sweden. 30.10.1899: Grimsby registry closed "Sold to Sweden".
Gil.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Gil, I have had problem with my internet.connection a couple of days. May be it is ok now.

Deerhound, I think we have solved that problem, thanks to you. There can´t be another Deerhound sold to Sweden than ON 83547 I think.

Thanks again, I will be back tonight with another problem (if I have connection).

Sorry about all water you had in England, hope you are all well.
Imar

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The connection was fixed today so I say thank you again and I will be back tonight with some other questions regarding fishing smacks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am very thankful for information so far. In 1904 there was a amall ketch called Erato sailing from the west coast of Sweden to Iceland for fishing. That means it was sold to Sweden before that. There are no other information.

Another sailing trawler bought to Sweden was Fram. The name does not sound very English so it is not perhaps the original name.

I have also another one with the name Paradigm which I found two. One is built in 1882, reg as Dandy and rec. closed 1899 and the other one is built 1889 reg as ketch and rec. closed 1912. I beleive one of them was sold to Sweden. They have ON 86417 and 95703.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
We escaped the storm.
Quick response to PARADIGM.
PARADIGM (GY846) Sailing trawler dandy rig
O.N.86417. 79 tons 76.2 x 19.4 x 10.45 feet

1882: Completed by Smith, Stephenson & Vere, Grimsby for William Moss, Grimsby as PARADIGM. 17.5.1882: Registered at Grimsby (GY846). 10.1899: Sold to Sweden. 19.10.1899: Grimsby registry closed "Sold to Swedes".

I will look at the other two later.
Gil.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There was two smacks named Peregal on the British register, ON 91530 and 91550. One of them was sold to Sweden but I don´t know which.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Cannot find an ERATO or FRAM that fits, sorry.

You can see now how the Official Number narrows down the search. This is the one that you want.

PEREGAL (GY1045) Sailing trawler ketch rigged
O.N.91550. 83 tons 77.0 x 20.8 x 10.55 feet

1885: Completed by Furner & Lever, Grimsby for James Rich, New Clee, Lincolnshire as PEREGAL. 9.1885: Registered at Grimsby (GY1045). 6.9.1890: Re-registered. 5.1898: Sold to David Smith, New Clee, Lincolnshire. 3.1900: Sold to Sweden. 7.3.1900: Grimsby registry closed "Sold to Swedes".
Gil.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts