Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

does anybody know where Esso International managed their fleet from? I suppose they were not on the Bahamas, though registered there. I mean these VLCCs/ULCCs as Esso... Atlantic, Pacific, Japan, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Tokyo, Osaka, etc.
And what was the difference between Esso International Shipping and Esso Tankers Inc.? Was it the same company but just renamed?

Thanks and best regards,
Axel

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Esso International Company (ECI) Tanker Department was based at 220 Park Avenue, Florham Park, New Jersey. Exxon International Company Supply and Transportation Department was based at 1251 Avenue of the Americas, New York.

If I recall correctly from my early days ashore with Esso Europe Inc in London, where I was based for 5 years on the ECI payroll, the latter, Manhattan offices of Exxon were closed in late 1984/85 and moved to Dallas. The ECI S&T deparment joined the Tanker Department in Florham Park NJ when that occured.

The big ships that you refer to were registered in Liberia and owned by Esso Tankers Inc, or by Esso International Shipping (Bahamas) Co.Ltd, and registered in Bahamas but managed and operated out of the ECI Florham Park offices.

Cheers,

Chris. ( Esso Petroleum Co Ltd annuitant)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts