Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad was on the crew that brought the Esso Pembrokeshire from Germany to the UK when it was first built. The BBC made a file about the voyage and the ship - does anyone remember it ? I would love to get a copy and to hear from anyone who may remember him.

His name was Ronnie Graham and he died in 2010. He was also on the Esso Hampshire. In about 1964, he had a serious accident in Malta and was on shore for 3 years before working for Stevie Clarks. I haven't got access to his old papers and the only other ship I remember was the Pulborough (operating out of Blyth) and later on dredgers on the Wear.

Regards,

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
That link was great thanks. I was 4 Eng there from 22Nov62 (Birkenhead) to 18 April 63(So'ton). Having spent my last 30 odd years on Cook Strait Ferries, I'd forgotten how enormous the Engine Room was. Don't recall much else about it. Len Tarleton
(ex Oxford,Preston,York,Manchester,Norwich,Salisbury,Pembrokeshre and Wandsworth. Left Esso Xmas '63

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
It always surprised me how much empty space there was in a steam ships engine room compared with a motorships. Even the turbines looked small in comparison to a motorships engine, and nowhere as noisy. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
was on the pembrokeshire joined her in february 62 as deck boy milford haven to kuwait twice can not remember any names though as it was fifty + years ago
regards dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pembrokeshire 1962

I was on the Pembrokeshire from 18 Sep to 12 Nov when she went into dry dock in Birkenhead and then one short trip till paid off in Milford haven 11 Dec

·
Registered
8 Posts
esso pembrokshire

hello brian williams was on her same time as you then payed off in birkenhead i was the deck boy first trip was called deckie second trip i was called taffy as i had stood up to a big scots git my brother was on her to in catering small world is,nt it

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad was on the crew that brought the Esso Pembrokeshire from Germany to the UK when it was first built. The BBC made a file about the voyage and the ship - does anyone remember it ? I would love to get a copy and to hear from anyone who may remember him.

His name was Ronnie Graham and he died in 2010. He was also on the Esso Hampshire. In about 1964, he had a serious accident in Malta and was on shore for 3 years before working for Stevie Clarks. I haven't got access to his old papers and the only other ship I remember was the Pulborough (operating out of Blyth) and later on dredgers on the Wear.

Regards,

David
I sailed on the ship in 1975 as a 1st trip deck cadet. Still have the red ensign which was flown when we went through the Suez Canal on ourway to being scrapped in Taiwan. Served 15 years with Essie and have many memories!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts