Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Alan, you are strongly advised in the SN terms and conditions not to post your personal email address, but to use private messages instead. SN is a world-wide public site, and you are open to trouble publishing your email address on it. I suggest that you delete your address from your post and replace it with "Please PM me if....". If you don't know how to do that I can do it for you.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Hi all,
Didn't spot this the first time round, but hello Harry. I sailed with Esso from 1972 to 1979 as 2/O/D to Master on the Fawley, Milford Haven, Purfleet, Preston, Cardiff, Mersey, Severn and Humber. Brought ashore to the Kremlin in late 1979 and then took permanent maritime shore assignments with Esso/Exxon/Esso Chemicals for 22 years from 1980. Took early retirement in 2002, moved to France and am still active at 75 as Marine Consultant. Conincidentally, Les Storey, ex C/E lives five minutes from me in this rural corner of France.
Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
i sailed with a captain bater.we flew out to jacksonville florida to join the esso wandsworth in september 1956.we went to aruba and paid off in south shields.it was a right work up steering her in the open ocean.i was a sos on her.happy times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Captain Ronald Stanley Hawkins

Hello Malleyspain
I sailed under Captain Hawkins on the Esso Oxford and the Esso Bernicia. He was the finest Master of them all.
I have a number of stories that would be a good fit for "Stories About Your Grandfather", and I would like to share them with you. Email me on [email protected] and I will have the space to recount them to you.
Regards
"OldSalty"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Captain Ronald Stanley Hawkins captained the Esso Bernicia - I think he was her first ever captain - but not at the time of a certain well publicised incident! He also served on the Esso Austria - I think in the 1960s - and various Esso oil tankers during his merchant navy days. Did anyone on here serve alongside him? I'm his youngest daughter and I'm looking for stories to share with my new granddaughter. Sadly he died in the 1990s.
Have you seen the post from old salty says he knew your father.Good luck with your quest.
Regards Tony

21 - 26 of 26 Posts