Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Any One Know What Happened To Any Of These Tankers I Sailed On. Esso Demita,esso Cambra,esso Cardiff,esso Scotia,esso Clyde,esso Humber. (eek)

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Esso Tankers

Hi Bondy
I can help with three of your ships. All remained with Esso until they were scrapped. Esso Cambria in South Korea in 1981, Esso Scotia in Taiwan in 1981 and Esso Cardiff in South Korea in 1983.
After the Exxon Valdez fiasco the owners thought it would be prudent to remove their company name from their ships. Esso Clyde and Esso Humber became Petro Clyde and Petro Humber in 1994. Someone will know what became of them.
Fred Henderson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Esso Tankers -merged threads

I sailed with Esso as both third and second deck officer between 1972 and 1977. Anybody else out there who was with Esso at that time? Also do they have an association for us ex seagoing personnel; I haven't managed to find one and have lost contact with the people I sailed with.
Ships sailed on were Esso Cardiff/Esso Newcastle/Esso Yorkshire/Esso Hampshire/Esso Mercia/Esso Ulidia/Esso Anglia and Esso Warwickshire. Like to hear from anyone I may have sailed with

·
Registered
18,699 Posts
I sailed on Esso Mersey in early '70s - UK cruising at its best. Try Auk Visser's Esso Tanker site - lots of photos and info.

John T.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I piloted 15 Esso tankers does this make me an Esso man.
Esso Brixham 3 times, Woolston 3 times, Penzance 6 times, Tenby 8 times, Hythe 3 times, Avon 2 times, Lyndhurst 4 times, Mersey 17 times, Clyde 5 times, Inverness 2 times, Fawley 14 times, Plymouth 1 time, Severn 11 times, Tyne 1 time, Milford Haven 6 times.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was on the White River,Lucky Star they were Panamanian flagged but a lot of Esso men were on them,even in those days they wre good feeders and there was overtime galore for every-one,
Esso ran them as a T2 was supposed to run, even used to pass passenger ships at times

·
Registered
636 Posts
..probably ran into each other in the past, Jeff. Was 2/O on the Woolston, Hythe, Penzance & Inverness mid-70s. Cut my coastal teeth on these little guys and was an eyeopener for a deep-sea man! There used to be some corner-cutting and I always remember one fine afternoon running down inside the Goodwins through the Gull Stream on a ebb-tide, going like the clappers. The Old Man was snoring below, and when I had Deal abaft the beam I had the most sudden urge for a crap. Being alone on the Bridge, I looked desperately around for an apparent, non-existant rosie as I had spied some fellow creeping round the South Foreland on my starboard bow, also cutting it fine. So with about 3 minutes to spare I dashed down two flights to the Officers' bog on the starboard side and with my head hanging out backwards of a convenient porthole I was (sweatingly) able to keep tabs on the situation ahead, 'enjoy' the surf crashing on to Kingsdown beach abeam and, albeit in a Limbo Dance position, still maintain good aim below! Nipping back up top I was 'relieved' to find the other coaster already on the port bow and a tricky course change towards a lee shore was avoidable.
The Steward gave me a odd look when I asked for a rosie with bin-liner. (*))

·
Registered
11,516 Posts
Well I have met one on the board,sailed with him back in 1951.
Without knowing the names of some of our members there could be more.
John

·
Registered
19 Posts
I sailed in the 'Chemawa' (registered in Panama) in 1954/55, one of the last T2's owned by Esso. I remember we signed 2 sets of Articles--- one British and the other Panamamian. Anyone out there remember those excellent ships?
Bobarr

1 - 20 of 139 Posts