Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello Auke very good site you have i sailed with Esso in the early fifties on theirT2`s White River,Lucky Star under Panamanian flag.returned to the company in 69 was on the Esso Scotia in 69/70 with David Smith Master, he was a very likeable man to work alongside,last I saw him was in Sullom Voe on the Esso Dalriada I was also on the Portsmouth ,Warwickshire,Lincoln Lancashire ,Fawley,

·
Registered
458 Posts
howling dowling

graham dowling sailed as g.p. on a few of the glasgow greek fleet my old "man" also sailed long time with them as lecky.we actually sailed together on the vancouver forest.still at sea now working in the north sea.plenty photographs and memories. also sailed early days in the 70's with cayzer irvine on rotherwick castle,king james,rothesay castle.remember good and bad times any person associated with these ships please contact at dowling or e-mail me at ******** (Hippy)

e-mail address removed from public display for member's security. Contact by PM please if you can assist with the query. - Gulpers

·
Registered
458 Posts
(Hippy)
Welcome Graham; ever come across Alan Eadie in your Esso days.
sorry,not really good with names and have no recollction of anybody with esso.sailed on dalriada may to oct 1975,old man was k.ross.then onto hibernia as part of a paint crew in the engine room dec.75 to feb 76.finished on the demetia april to june 76 when a lot of modifications were going on with tank cleaning gear .sorry i cannot be of any help .(Hippy)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Esso Clyde or Petro Clyde as she was latterly known was scrapped in India in 1998/98 . The Humber i dont know about as she was not one of the ship in the UK fleet when i joined in 1990

·
Registered
177 Posts
was on esso tanker beacon street she allso ithink was a german captured .at that time she was one of the bigist tankers afloat .had a blue with the mate said ta.ta in naples . old sinner jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi John I joined my first ship the "Esso Lincoln" in 1973 and as it was on the Eastern seaboard/Venezuela run we were in port every 5 days.It was a really enjoyable 1st voyage.
I then joined the Esso Hampshire later that year and spent over a month in Malta drydock so again not a bad trip.
Then I joined the Esso Pembrokeshire at Augusta,Sicily and spent 5 months on board without stepping off her once due to marshall law in Malaysia.
That put me off tankers and I went on the pool after that.
You probably wouldnt have known me though as I was just an assistant operator (remember integrated crew ?)in the catering then down the pump room ha ha .Can't complain about the wages they paid though. Regards Graham K

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi john,
andy dunn here,i sailed with esso from 76 till 91 in the catering dept,mainly
deep sea. also in the catering was tom and ronnie two of my brothers. my dad
was on the deck as a-b,.only tom still going to sea now,
have some great memories of my time with esso,like the horse racing nights on the way up to the gulf some canny money crossed hands those nights,
also the dry dock in singapore,think i did five,getting back to the ship at five in the morning to start work at six ,shattered,but recovered by the following night to go ashore again.
some great guys,some i remember at the moment, brian randel,davy dodsworth,ian heywood,davy meads,could go on for ever,
been ashore since 91 but the 17 years at sea were the best times.
bye for now andy dunn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi bondie,
just to correct the name,k ross ,was,nt the old man ,he was the purser,sailed with him a couple of times ,while steward.used to have us stripping the polish off the allyways in bare feet,said it would do our feet the world of good,must admit did no halm,
andy dunn

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sailed with Esso as both third and second deck officer between 1972 and 1977. Anybody else out there who was with Esso at that time? Also do they have an association for us ex seagoing personnel; I haven't managed to find one and have lost contact with the people I sailed with.
Ships sailed on were Esso Cardiff/Esso Newcastle/Esso Yorkshire/Esso Hampshire/Esso Mercia/Esso Ulidia/Esso Anglia and Esso Warwickshire. Like to hear from anyone I may have sailed with
hi im john jack able seaman sailed on esso ships at that time

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi i sailed on the esso aalborg in 1967 even got stuck in the suez in the 6 day war on her.
we were the last ship out of the canal before it closed.
A great tanker great crew great life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
esso anglia mercia lancashire

I sailed with Esso as both third and second deck officer between 1972 and 1977. Anybody else out there who was with Esso at that time? Also do they have an association for us ex seagoing personnel; I haven't managed to find one and have lost contact with the people I sailed with.
Ships sailed on were Esso Cardiff/Esso Newcastle/Esso Yorkshire/Esso Hampshire/Esso Mercia/Esso Ulidia/Esso Anglia and Esso Warwickshire. Like to hear from anyone I may have sailed with
Isailed on the anglia mercia & lancashire 1972 / 1975 had a great time on them all Mal doherty membership c/o ida doherty

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sailed on the Anglia mercia& lancashire 1972--- 1975 as A/B enjoyed all three but went back coasting again Yes you can join the Royal Navy assoc
or if there is a branch of the Merchant navy assco near your area

Malcolm doherty memship c/o idadoherty

·
Registered
10 Posts
eso anglia

HI I,m mal was on the esso anglia 1972 running gulf r/dam s/pore on to esso mercia esso lancanshire great ships good crew &grub do you have any photos on esso anglias deck accom bridge

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Andy,

Sure we sailed together - was in Esso from 77 to 94...........

Ken Ross - remember him well. He was Purser on the Scotia. Woke up one morning with a throbbing gum, and during breakfast asked Ken if he had some bicarb for my ulcer. He appeared in the wheelhouse an hour later with the Old Man (Bugsy Boler) who was contemplating organising a medi-vac....... Ken's life was misery for days when the O/M discovered the truth!!!! Both great guys though.

Harvey

21 - 40 of 140 Posts