Ships Nostalgia banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I`m hoping someone on here can help..I`m looking for a Michael(Mick) Jordan born approx. 1946 from the London area who was serving on TT Esso York in 1967/8....how can I get a list of people who were on the same tanker? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Esso Tankers

My father, Jack May, was an engineer on a number of Esso tankers in the 1950s, including the Fawley, Oxford and Canterbury - he was appointed chief engineer on the Oxford a few days short of his 29th birthday, in 1954. He went on to manage a couple of fleets, including the Esso coastal fleet, in the UK. Some years ago he wrote his autobiography, which is a great read, but he is now 88 and while his sense of humour and the twinkle in his eye remain intact, his memory is not the best, and he can't fill in a few gaps which need filling in. I am editing the book, more for the family history than for any thoughts of publishing it, and I would appreciate hearing from anyone who worked with him, any stories you have to tell, what you remember of him, any photographs, any names, anything - he didn't include many names in the book at all, and the only names I know are two friends from the office, Frank Soutar and Jack Bicknell (who rose to greater things, but who sadly passed away in Victoria, Australia two or three years ago. I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sailed as a "mess boy" aboard Esso Amsterdam in 1946. It was phased out of wartime service and sailed empty from Baltimore to Aruba where it was filled and sailed on to Hook van Holland. My uncle, Harold Sutherland, was the Captain. I escaped the war with my parents when we left Liverpool in June 1940 aboard the Duchess of Richmond to Canada and USA. All my rellies however stayed in Holland for the entire war. The trip aboard the Esso was my first chance to reunite with them. As a 12 year old I had little understanding of the hell they had endured John. Lankester

·
Registered
382 Posts
chasH

Does Any One Know What Happened To Any Of These Tankers I Sailed On. Esso Demita,esso Cambra,esso Cardiff,esso Scotia,esso Clyde,esso Humber. (eek)
hi bondy was on the esso Austria in 65 and esso Bristol in 61 i think the Bristol was what they called 36 class they also had 26 class sorry cant help with others all the best chasH

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi i sailed on the esso aalborg in the 1960's she was a great ship and did some good trips on her . use to love swimming in her pool in a bit of a swell just like swimming in the sea.
such a great ship.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking for help regarding Mr.Colin James Anderson from Cardiff.
In 1979 he sailed the Esso Scotia,...and was awarded same year with Lloyds bronze medal for heroic saving a shipwrecked sailor in the Arabic Sea. ( Indian Sea? )

Did anyone of you sail with Mr. Anderson ?

He also came to Malaysia sometime betw. 1974-1981,..don't know if that was with Esso Scotia or another tanker.
What ports did Esso Tankers at that time arrive on in Malaysia ?

Grateful if someone can help me solve these questions.
Thanks

Best regards
Elisabeth
Hi Elisabeth, I was with Colin on the Scotia when he made the rescue. I have some information about it but only from memory, nothing official. I never met him again after that trip.
Regards, Mick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fred Cook

Dear all

My father, Capt Frederick Cook, sailed on the Esso Fawley, Milford Haven & Aberdeen (among others) from the 60s to the 90s. He always spoke fondly about his days at sea. I wondered if any of you remember him?

·
Registered
7 Posts
esso

Hi all after recieving some lovely photos of my grandad yesterday,
I believe one of the ships he sailed on was demetia?(not sure if spelling correct) and this correct and im in the correct post but My grandad was
chief superintendant engineer, That the information I have so far, His name Reginald Charles Dodd would love to hear if anyone has any memories and I have some lovely photos of some of his crew mates
Thank you all for reading
Sara(Bounce)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I sailed on esso aalborg danish esso a really good ship to have sailed on even got stuck in the suez canal for a short time from the first day of the 6 day war.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there I am Capt Beldon's son. Interested in any stories from those who served with him? I was 10 when in Sept 73 when he had to take sick leave from the Lincoln, alas never to return, dying in Nov. of that year.

I remember being taken aboard the Lincoln in Bantry Bay possibly 66/67 with mumps and a local doctor having to be called. We lived in the North of Ireland at the time and had driven down to Cork as she was discharging. Someone put me on a bike and cycled me down the length of the deck, carrying me up to the Capt's cabin.

Lincoln had a bad fire 71/72 ? in the Channel loaded with naptha...Some disturbed seaman in the linen locker with drink and cigarettes. HMS Leander stood off as she burned...touch and go for a few hours. Anyone on board remember that?

Anyway grateful for any stories as I am writing up his years in 39-46 in the Atlantic.

Thanks
Hi Dave,
My father, Des Templeman, was the mate on the Lincoln at the time of the fire and fought it using a smoke hood along with others using bottled breathing apparatus.
Dad finished his career as Master on the Warwickshire and sadly passed away last year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Alex,

How you doing, was it 1970 when we drydocked the 'Warwickshire' in Bremerhaven - Happy days indeed.

Rgds,

Mike Irwin.
Hi Mike,

My father, Des Templeman, was on the Warwickshire, probably as mate during the dry docking in Bremerhaven.
I remember it because I got to stay in a hotel there with my mother & sister for the duration of the docking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Mike,

My father, Des Templeman, was on the Warwickshire, probably as mate during the dry docking in Bremerhaven.
I remember it because I got to stay in a hotel there with my mother & sister for the duration of the docking.
Hi Steve'
Yes I remember Des very well, he'd been mate prior to the drydocking, and he went up to Master for the period of the docking and for the trip afterwards. Des was a hard taskmaster but a very fair man and I had the highest respect for him, please give him my regards if he is stll with us.
Regards,

Mike Irwin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steve'
Yes I remember Des very well, he'd been mate prior to the drydocking, and he went up to Master for the period of the docking and for the trip afterwards. Des was a hard taskmaster but a very fair man and I had the highest respect for him, please give him my regards if he is stll with us.
Regards,

Mike Irwin.
Thanks Mike for replying so promptly Mike,
Sadly Dad passed away last August

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Dave,
My father, Des Templeman, was the mate on the Lincoln at the time of the fire and fought it using a smoke hood along with others using bottled breathing apparatus.
Dad finished his career as Master on the Warwickshire and sadly passed away last year.
Hello again Dave,

Having spoken to my mother, I believe the fire that you mentioned may have actually occurred on the Newcastle

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
..probably ran into each other in the past, Jeff. Was 2/O on the Woolston, Hythe, Penzance & Inverness mid-70s. Cut my coastal teeth on these little guys and was an eyeopener for a deep-sea man! There used to be some corner-cutting and I always remember one fine afternoon running down inside the Goodwins through the Gull Stream on a ebb-tide, going like the clappers. The Old Man was snoring below, and when I had Deal abaft the beam I had the most sudden urge for a crap. Being alone on the Bridge, I looked desperately around for an apparent, non-existant rosie as I had spied some fellow creeping round the South Foreland on my starboard bow, also cutting it fine. So with about 3 minutes to spare I dashed down two flights to the Officers' bog on the starboard side and with my head hanging out backwards of a convenient porthole I was (sweatingly) able to keep tabs on the situation ahead, 'enjoy' the surf crashing on to Kingsdown beach abeam and, albeit in a Limbo Dance position, still maintain good aim below! Nipping back up top I was 'relieved' to find the other coaster already on the port bow and a tricky course change towards a lee shore was avoidable.
The Steward gave me a odd look when I asked for a rosie with bin-liner. (*))
I was 2/m & 1/m on all those ships. Enjoyed going through the Downs and some of the other close to coast runs. Bumping over the bar entering Caernavon. Channel Islands, Scapa Flow, Islay and many more interesting places never seen by the deep sea guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I'm a writer for The New Yorker magazine. I just came across this discussion while researching a piece I'm writing about the Esso Tokyo (which became the FSO SAFER, now off the coast of Yemen.) If anybody sailed on the Esso Tokyo from 1976 until she was laid up in Norway in 1982, I'd be thrilled to talk to them. Please drop me a line at [email protected] if you worked on the ship in that period. I'd be so grateful. Thanks in advance, Ed Caesar, The New Yorker.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts