Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Did 2 trips in the Ulidia - Very fond memories indeed - would be about 81 - 83 . Gulf to Med then Europe ....
In late 1970,on her maiden voyage, she suffered a boiler explosion off West Africa resulting in a couple of serious injuries. We were passing on the City of Oxford with the owner, Sir John Ellerman, onboard and were able to transfer medical supplies and maybe the doctor or nurse? It was a long time ago!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was a first trip deck cadet on the City of Oxford when it went to the assistance of the Ulidia. They sent a lifeboat across to us and we lowered some medicines/drugs into it. We had to tell them to keep the noise down when they called up their thanks as it was early in the morning and we didn't want them to wake the owner.

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
I was a first trip deck cadet on the City of Oxford when it went to the assistance of the Ulidia. They sent a lifeboat across to us and we lowered some medicines/drugs into it. We had to tell them to keep the noise down when they called up their thanks as it was early in the morning and we didn't want them to wake the owner.
I'd have thought the owner would have been more that a little interested. Pretty good PR for him I would have thought. :)

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I'd have thought the owner would have been more that a little interested. Pretty good PR for him I would have thought. :)
You need to read up about the man, Dickyboy. He wasn't interested in PR and didn't even care much about people. A bit of a recluse, he maintained a stronger interest in rodents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts