Ships Nostalgia banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I signed on the 'Birmingham' (R/O)in June'66....I can't remember many names but I 'made up' words to 'Sloop John B' which started "We sailed on the City of 'B', young Mike Carruthers and me..." Mike, from 'Bearsden/Glasgow was 3rd mate.

Four of us Mike, asst Purser, Eng and I used to have a midnight curry and 'half a case' of Tennants every night...I think we paid the steward ten bob each a week...

In 1971 I was on the Dundee..

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
John, you were the 2nd Mate on my first ship - City of Auckland, round the UK coast in July 1974 - master was Capt Perry, Paul Wheldon was the C/O, you were relieved by Keith Moger if I remember correctly. I recently met one of the 3rd Engineers from that trip in London and then Dubai - Brian Thornbarrow. I have been sailing recently with another ex-Ellerman officer, Brian Hall who is now working as a super for Serco.

Potted history
City of Auckland - July 1974 -Feb1975 - Capt Ramsden + wife, Ch.Off George Railston, 2nd mate Keith Moger 3rd mate Jack Toberville-Smith
Third Mate was Chris Harding, at least from mid-September to Feb 1975 when I paid off.
Peter Tyson, first trip cadet on that voyage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
City of Auckland

Third Mate was Chris Harding, at least from mid-September to Feb 1975 when I paid off.
Peter Tyson, first trip cadet on that voyage.
My first trip to sea was on the City of Auckland as junior R/O joining in Sept. '74. My chief Joe Murphy came from Dublin. We sailed from Avonmouth to Mauritius. AA Ramsden was the skipper and yes Chris Harding was the 3/O. I remember the pint of Tennents cost a shilling.
Manus Patten

·
Registered
11 Posts
I served my time with City Line, joined City of Glasgow July '66 for a SAfmarine charter, then PE for 2 trips, Oxford (laid up in Qns Dock, Glasgow), Hereford for a far east run, MAR (King Teds), St Albans to India, Manchester and Ottawa both east Africa Red Sea run. Left August '69.

Alan Rore

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
My first trip to sea was on the City of Auckland as junior R/O joining in Sept. '74. My chief Joe Murphy came from Dublin. We sailed from Avonmouth to Mauritius. AA Ramsden was the skipper and yes Chris Harding was the 3/O. I remember the pint of Tennents cost a shilling.
Manus Patten
Hello Manus, from County Mayo, as far as I remember?
Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Manus, from County Mayo, as far as I remember?
Peter
Correct Peter. You have some memory!. Like yourself, I joined in '74 and left in '90. Now at Malin Head CG. These forums makes one realise how time moves on. The Purser on the Auckland was a guy named Harry but can't remember his surname. I regret that I do not have any crew lists of all the vessels that I sailed on.
rgds.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Dear Manus,
He was Harry Crompton, poor chap died of malarial fever not long after paying off.
I suppose we all have strong memories of our first trip, most of the other people I sailed with over the years have blurred features, certainly very few have names that I can recall.
Malin Head! That's quite out of the way isn't it! Furthest north, on the west coast, I've been is Westport. My wife has family in Clifden so we visit that area a lot, but that's it really.
I'm glad that you're still around! and well, I hope!
Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Peter
Sorry to hear the Harry is no longer with us. Correct again, Malin Head is the most northerly point in Ireland. Have been there for the past 20 yrs but living across the border in derry/Londonderry.
I remember you showing me the engine room on the Auckland - a big Doxford (spelling?) engine. It was all so new and exciting at the time. Glad to hear from you and hope you are keeping well.
Regards.

Manus

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Peter
Sorry to hear the Harry is no longer with us. Correct again, Malin Head is the most northerly point in Ireland. Have been there for the past 20 yrs but living across the border in derry/Londonderry.
I remember you showing me the engine room on the Auckland - a big Doxford (spelling?) engine. It was all so new and exciting at the time. Glad to hear from you and hope you are keeping well.
Regards.

Manus
Dear Manus,
It was indeed. And what an adventure! I remember my late father seeing me off at the railway station telling me that it was my first big adventure, but that there'd be many more.
Doxford it was; must have been after my engine room time.
Peter

·
Registered
25 Posts
City of Paris - blast from the past

Hello Charles,
As a relative youngster, I did not go to sea until 1967...! - however I had a girlfriend in '71 / '72 who had travelled back from the Cape to UK as a baby on the last voyage of the Paris in 1953. Hard to believe that was over 60 years ago..........

Surprised that no mention of the City of Paris, was on her in the early fifties, lovely vessel
Chas

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Ellerman Life

My Sea Life with Ellerman Lines started back in 1966. I joined my first ship in Glasgow. The "City of Oxford" in Barclay Curles Dry Dock as a ships Writer and worked my way to Purser/Catering Officer. The following are the names and dates of the ships I served on:-

City of Oxford Jan 66 - Apr 66
City of Durban Apr 66 - Sep 66
City of Liverpool (Old) Sep 66 - Jan 67
City of Johannesburg Feb 67 - Sep 67
City of Oxford Oct 67 - May 68
City of Exeter Aug 68 - Feb 69
City of Johannesburg Mar 69 - Nov 69
City of Cape Town Nov 69 - Dec 69
City of Durban Jan 70 - Feb 71
City of York Mar 71 - Jul 71 (Last Voyage)
City of London (New) Sep 71 - Sep 71
City of Liverpool (New) Sep 71 - Oct 71
City of Adelaide Nov 71 - May 73
(Re-named to the "Cap Cleveland" - May 1972 for Charter)
City of Lancaster Aug 73 - Oct 74 (Promoted to Purser)
City of Canberra Dec 75 - Dec 75
City of Wellington Mar 75 - Mar 76
City of Ripon Sep 76 - Oct 76
City of St Albans Nov 76 - Feb 77
City of Montreal May 77 - Jun 77
City of Canberra Jul 77 - Jul 77

The "City of Canberra was my last ship with Ellerman Lines. This was the year I joined "Townsend Thoresen Car Ferries". I enjoyed my life with Ellermans and if anybody remembers me I would be very pleased if you got in touch!

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder if anyone remembers my father
He is (charles) kerr steele.
He was chief purser on the durban and other city liners.
Not sure of dates but was on the durban in the mid to late 70's

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if anyone remembers my father
He is (charles) kerr steele.
He was chief purser on the durban and other city liners.
Not sure of dates but was on the durban in the mid to late 70's
Hi... I remember the name and I think I may have sailed with him round the coast on one of the "Big Four".

·
Registered
10 Posts
rover days

Hello Doug
You definitely won't remember me but in 1969 I did a trip with you on the City of Gloucester. I was only 17 at the time and di the trip to India before I went to college for my cadetship. Terry cornick was the other cadet.
I'm still at sea with a few years left before retiring. Now working on a SEWOP in the Irish Sea sevicing the oil and gas rigs. It's been a long life with many adventures.
All the best
Mike Owen
hi mick leo the cook here good to see you still on the go , and hey pass the zukinie over here , you take care now

·
Registered
5 Posts
malconyers

The bearded one is alive and kicking - albeit clean shaven!! I'm in touch with Tim Seeman & Paul Harwood. Who else did you know? My last ship in 1978 was City of Newcastle (apt for a Geordie!). Retired in 1983.

Pete Soones
hi pete i sailed with you when you were mate and i was 2nd mate. I think on City of Singapore.Christmas in Novorisk USSR i remember!
I did end up joining cross channel ferries, and hung up my sextant in65
and retired as snr. master on Stena Hengist in1992.

·
Registered
493 Posts
hi pete i sailed with you when you were mate and i was 2nd mate. I think on City of Singapore.Christmas in Novorisk USSR i remember!
I did end up joining cross channel ferries, and hung up my sextant in65
and retired as snr. master on Stena Hengist in1992.
I was 3rd Mate on that trip....I believe we loaded a "bridge" in Novorisk...interesting place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ex Ellerman Crew Liverpool WW2

Good Morning All, I am researching my Grandfather following the unexpected loss of my Dad. We had been planning to look into what he did during the war so I now have to carry on alone...

My Grandfather was called William Chadwick (Billy or Chaddie). He was from Liverpool and I believe he was a Bosun for Ellerman during WW2. He caught Malaria following the war and the company dropped him off somewhere in Africa and he had to make his own way home.
I think he may have worked for White Star at some point also.
I have also been told he was on a number of vessels which were damaged or destroyed during WW2. I dont know anything about my Chadwick family and with the loss of my Dad, Im struggling.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or offer any help at all with where to find records and resources it would be greatly appreciated. Are there crew lists anywhere etc?
Thank you in advance and anticipation

Sal

·
Registered
2 Posts
City line 73 to 80

Hi worked on City boats from 73 to 80, went to St Helena Shipping after, then left the sea,
Worked on Ripon,Hull,Toronto,Exeter,Montreal,Hull and a few more, good times had on all

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Good Morning All, I am researching my Grandfather following the unexpected loss of my Dad. We had been planning to look into what he did during the war so I now have to carry on alone...

My Grandfather was called William Chadwick (Billy or Chaddie). He was from Liverpool and I believe he was a Bosun for Ellerman during WW2. He caught Malaria following the war and the company dropped him off somewhere in Africa and he had to make his own way home.
I think he may have worked for White Star at some point also.
I have also been told he was on a number of vessels which were damaged or destroyed during WW2. I dont know anything about my Chadwick family and with the loss of my Dad, Im struggling.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or offer any help at all with where to find records and resources it would be greatly appreciated. Are there crew lists anywhere etc?
Thank you in advance and anticipation

Sal
Hello,
Could you give us your grandfathers full name, date and place of birth.
I have found this, don't know if this is him.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8212838

regards
Roger

61 - 80 of 117 Posts