Ships Nostalgia banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ex Ellerman Line Crew

Hello - my father George Herbert Salter was Ellerman Line crew. He took many super 8 films on his travels. He was master for a number of years. I have just had all his films transferred digitally and am in the process of uploading them to youtube here is a link to a couple of clips of City of Bedford and city of Agra. I have lots more to add but it may take me a little time. Many of the clips feature crew. https://youtu.be/Qp5y_8BxcMg and
. He ws with Ellerman from about 1946 until 1981. The clips are mostly from the 1960's

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sailed with your dad on City of Agra, he was C/O I was on my 2nd. ship as a deck apprentice think I joined her about mid 1962 and know we left her in Gibraltar on 23/12/62 stayed overnight in the Bristol hotel and flew home to Gatwick on the morning of Christmas Eve, I managed to get to Kings Cross just in time to get the last train to Doncaster that had a connection to S****horpe that day, no taxi available no phone at home so had to lug my trunk about 2 miles and wake my parents up to let me in it was a supprise for them in the early hours of Christmas Day. I also remember him getting his first command I believe it was the Bedford as a friend of mine Hugh Townsend was also on his first trip as C/O, they had an unfortunate event in the Atlantic when some tween deck hatch beams failed and the machines on them fell into the hold, if my memory is correct they were Catapillar Machines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear Manus,
He was Harry Crompton, poor chap died of malarial fever not long after paying off.
I suppose we all have strong memories of our first trip, most of the other people I sailed with over the years have blurred features, certainly very few have names that I can recall.
Malin Head! That's quite out of the way isn't it! Furthest north, on the west coast, I've been is Westport. My wife has family in Clifden so we visit that area a lot, but that's it really.
I'm glad that you're still around! and well, I hope!
Peter
I sailed with Harry Compton my first trip. I was the writer he was 2nd steward, he was a great guy so sorry to hear he died.
Jon Denman

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder if anyone remembers my father
He is (charles) kerr steele.
He was chief purser on the durban and other city liners.
Not sure of dates but was on the durban in the mid to late 70's
Hi, Steven
I sailed with your dad, Kerr, on the City of Montreal - 69 OR 70 i think. I was his A/P. Never forgot him, he taught me a lot and was a great boss, hope he is still with us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everybody, im looking for all Ellerman city Line crew from 1965 until 1973
Robin Williams x Electrcian.
With Ellerman Lines 1965 to 1973. !965 to 1968 at South Shields Marine & Tech College.
Ships: Darinian, Mercian (x2), Malatian, City of Colombo (when cracked crankshaft found while in the Persian Gulf), City of Durban (x5), City of Hull (standby at Robb-Caledon yard & maiden voyage), City of Montreal (in Montreal when name changed from City of Sydney), back to City of Colombo. Resigned & moved to Canada.
Kevin Murfitt (also known as George in some circles).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hello - I was a Marconi Marine R/O and my first ship in Nov '65 was the City of PE.

The Chief R/O was a drunken, womanising, stinking fat slob from Scotland.

I had to do the entire 20:00 to 06:00 night watch which included taking down in Morse and then typing out the Wireless Press newspaper onto Gestetner wax duplicating skins. (the latter I reckoned was the job of the Junior Writer)
I had to get up again at noon to have my lunch and then relieve the Chief R/O so he could have his.
I was permanently zombie-like tired.
Frequently the steward would put me on the shake as I was dropping off to sleep at 08:00 with the words
"Burra Marconi Sahib no steaming" ie drunk in his bunk.
Like a fool I would get up and cover his watch, this despite having had no sleep.
We were a weather observing ship and the OBS had to be sent off every 6 hours. He never bothered so I had to send them all in my watch periods.
I hated the man.

Despite all that I enjoyed my time on the PE: the deck Cadets and Officers were a fine bunch of ship-mates.
1st Officer Ian Dawse, 2nd/O Jim Binnie, 3rd/O George Webb plus two Apprentices, Andy Williamson and ? Braden.
I can't remember the Surgeon's name but he was as queer as a three-bob note and his cabin was decked out like a boudoir!
Commodore Pulford was super-God of course. He retired on my last trip.
There were massive celebrations for him as we left each S.A. port with the ship dressed overall, all the other ships sounding their hooters and tugs filling the air with fire sprays.
Sadly, when we arrived at Tilbury and then the Royal Docks - absolutely nothing.

Just one point to make to some of the posters on this thread (inc oca999) please put your real name at the end of your posts otherwise we can't identify you!!!

= DE BRUCE MORRIS/GW4XXF = +

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
With Ellerman Lines 1965 to 1973. !965 to 1968 at South Shields Marine & Tech College.
Ships: Darinian, Mercian (x2), Malatian, City of Colombo (when cracked crankshaft found while in the Persian Gulf), City of Durban (x5), City of Hull (standby at Robb-Caledon yard & maiden voyage), City of Montreal (in Montreal when name changed from City of Sydney), back to City of Colombo. Resigned & moved to Canada.
Kevin Murfitt (also known as George in some circles).
Kevin. How could one forget the 'Colombo?! I was the 2/E with you up the Gulf on that "interesting" trip and I was later C/E on her in '72. And then was the Supt. when she had the microbial attack. in '73(?) . I went to Star Offshore in '78, Hall Russell in ' 86 and United Marine Dredging in '88. I "retired" in 2005 but that only lasted a few weeks and I worked independently on and off till 2018. Would still like to do something with ships if something really interesting turned up but realistically that's very unlikely - just a pipe dream! Now 77 and living in North Devon and am on a couple of the local Harbour Boards so haven't totally the marine industry and despite the booze, asbestos , fumes and general bad living am in remarkable good physical health. Mentally, I not so sure . Never got the "work/life" balance right !
Best wishes
Tim G

·
Registered
56 Posts
A bit off topic, but pertaining to City Boats, I was on a BI ship called the Nowshera 1971/72. We were stuck in Karachi during the Indo-Pakistan conflict. I remember we were double berthed with one of the City Boats, but can't remember the name. I think there were 3 wives on board who were not very happy about the situation. We were on constant readiness so kept watches all the time. I was 4/E/O on the 8-12. I seem to remember coming off watch and if our bar was empty everybody would be across the way. It was pointless going to bed as the Indians came over going up country about 2200 and the return sometime after 0200. Both times, the Pakistani navy opened up with anti-aircraft fire. Nov. 5th eat your heart out. Happy days, 100% extra pay for being in a war zone.
Geoff..

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
A bit off topic, but pertaining to City Boats, I was on a BI ship called the Nowshera 1971/72. We were stuck in Karachi during the Indo-Pakistan conflict. I remember we were double berthed with one of the City Boats, but can't remember the name. I think there were 3 wives on board who were not very happy about the situation. We were on constant readiness so kept watches all the time. I was 4/E/O on the 8-12. I seem to remember coming off watch and if our bar was empty everybody would be across the way. It was pointless going to bed as the Indians came over going up country about 2200 and the return sometime after 0200. Both times, the Pakistani navy opened up with anti-aircraft fire. Nov. 5th eat your heart out. Happy days, 100% extra pay for being in a war zone.
Geoff..
War zone pay? Lucky you Geoff ! I was on the City of Hereford in 1965 when we were interned for weeks there in the first Indo-Pak conflict. No extra pay but we had a great time and in fact it was one of the events in my life that prompted me to write a book on my life at sea for the grandkids.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Robin Were you the Elect in the St Albans on the coast Aug 70 ? Old Man was BF Walker Mate Andy Cussins I was Second Mate Third Mate John Fraser from the Shetlands. C/E was Bonner [ Wilson Line ? ] Purser Hugh Devlin. he went home for a family death. We got " Dolly " Danby in Liverpool then Devlin came back. He tried to drop me and you [ if you were the Elect ] with BF but were had both been ashore with Joyce the beetle bird and her mate. Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello James
If my memory serves me right he was lost off Lorenzo Morgues Portuguese East Africa,If this is the case I was on the ship at the time.
Also at the time he was one of the engineers
regds
Dixie
Hello,
Do you know which Coroners Court in London the Inquest was had at please? We have been trying to get a copy but I'm told there are over 30 of them in London so we would need to know exactly which one it is?
Thanks Emma.
(Michael Rogan's Niece)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everybody, im looking for all Ellerman city Line crew from 1965 until 1973
Robin Williams x Electrcian.
Hello,
My late Uncle Michael Rogan sailed with Ellerman on the City of York until he was lost overboard in January 1970.
Did you know him by any chance?
Emma.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Ellerman Life

My Sea Life with Ellerman Lines started back in 1966. I joined my first ship in Glasgow. The "City of Oxford" in Barclay Curles Dry Dock as a ships Writer and worked my way to Purser/Catering Officer. The following are the names and dates of the ships I served on:-

City of Oxford Jan 66 - Apr 66
City of Durban Apr 66 - Sep 66
City of Liverpool (Old) Sep 66 - Jan 67
City of Johannesburg Feb 67 - Sep 67
City of Oxford Oct 67 - May 68
City of Exeter Aug 68 - Feb 69
City of Johannesburg Mar 69 - Nov 69
City of Cape Town Nov 69 - Dec 69
City of Durban Jan 70 - Feb 71
City of York Mar 71 - Jul 71 (Last Voyage)
City of London (New) Sep 71 - Sep 71
City of Liverpool (New) Sep 71 - Oct 71
City of Adelaide Nov 71 - May 73
(Re-named to the "Cap Cleveland" - May 1972 for Charter)
City of Lancaster Aug 73 - Oct 74 (Promoted to Purser)
City of Canberra Dec 75 - Dec 75
City of Wellington Mar 75 - Mar 76
City of Ripon Sep 76 - Oct 76
City of St Albans Nov 76 - Feb 77
City of Montreal May 77 - Jun 77
City of Canberra Jul 77 - Jul 77

The "City of Canberra was my last ship with Ellerman Lines. This was the year I joined "Townsend Thoresen Car Ferries". I enjoyed my life with Ellermans and if anybody remembers me I would be very pleased if you got in touch!

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ron. I only just discovered this forum. I was a cadet on the Cap Cleveland on the same voyage as you. I’ll never forget that trip. It was the best of my seagoing career. I carried on with Ellermans until I got my 1st Mate’s ticket and then came ashore to do a degree in Maritime Studies at Liverpool. in the university summer hols I served as 2nd mate with Townsend Thoresen. What a coincidence! Have been in the shipping industry ever since, including U.S. Lines, SeaLand and APL. Retired some years ago and was doing some consultancy and non-exec stuff in the ports segment. Hope you’re keeping well. Dave Appleton

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
My Ellerman Life

My Sea Life with Ellerman Lines started back in 1966. I joined my first ship in Glasgow. The "City of Oxford" in Barclay Curles Dry Dock as a ships Writer and worked my way to Purser/Catering Officer. The following are the names and dates of the ships I served on:-

City of Oxford Jan 66 - Apr 66
City of Durban Apr 66 - Sep 66
City of Liverpool (Old) Sep 66 - Jan 67
City of Johannesburg Feb 67 - Sep 67
City of Oxford Oct 67 - May 68
City of Exeter Aug 68 - Feb 69
City of Johannesburg Mar 69 - Nov 69
City of Cape Town Nov 69 - Dec 69
City of Durban Jan 70 - Feb 71
City of York Mar 71 - Jul 71 (Last Voyage)
City of London (New) Sep 71 - Sep 71
City of Liverpool (New) Sep 71 - Oct 71
City of Adelaide Nov 71 - May 73
(Re-named to the "Cap Cleveland" - May 1972 for Charter)
City of Lancaster Aug 73 - Oct 74 (Promoted to Purser)
City of Canberra Dec 75 - Dec 75
City of Wellington Mar 75 - Mar 76
City of Ripon Sep 76 - Oct 76
City of St Albans Nov 76 - Feb 77
City of Montreal May 77 - Jun 77
City of Canberra Jul 77 - Jul 77

The "City of Canberra was my last ship with Ellerman Lines. This was the year I joined "Townsend Thoresen Car Ferries". I enjoyed my life with Ellermans and if anybody remembers me I would be very pleased if you got in touch!

Ron
Ron, very belatedly I can confirm I was 2/E with you on the 'Cape Town Nov/Dec '69 and the 'Durban Jan/Feb '70

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ron, very belatedly I can confirm I was 2/E with you on the 'Cape Town Nov/Dec '69 and the 'Durban Jan/Feb '70
Hello Ron
Not sure if you remember me. Alfred PAMPLIN. I was Assistant Purser with you, on the City of Wellington, March 75 to June 75 in Hull. Also sailed with you on Free Enterprise 4.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts