Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sailed on the Faraday as 4th eng in 1978 and the trip went bad when we lost 2 guys to a gas leak. I paid off in Maracaibo and vowed not to sail with Houlders again.
George, I was on her just after and never properly understood what happened. Upon thinking my memory had played tricks and it never took place and I could never find any official record, report etc in Births, Deaths and Marriages or anywhere else.

Would you mind if I contacted you privately?

OB

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was on Faraday 80/81 lost 3rd mate in Mexico he was coming back from shore on them ferryboats slipped getting off never seen him again. Scotch lad islands i think. Had to go ashore in Huston texas make statement. good ship good runs tho

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was on Faraday 80/81 lost 3rd mate in Mexico he was coming back from shore on them ferryboats slipped getting off never seen him again. Scotch lad islands i think. Had to go ashore in Huston texas make statement. good ship good runs tho
I think that was John Patterson. His nickname when i Knew him was Twizzle. Nice lad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vic Thompson was the cook on the first ship I joined, which was the Orenda Bridge, in Rotterdam, that was August 72 and I was a first trip galley rat. He was a cracking man and good cook that taught my how to make bread and pastry. He hailed from Gravesend, which is where I went to sea school and now live. It's a funny old world! Later on I did a trip on the Cavendish in January 73 and back to back trips on the Faraday from June 74, via a couple of more Houlders boat, being the Furness Bridge and the Tenbury.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Faraday Waiting for orders @Gib

Went ashore with then 2/O Mark Andrews and couple of others (think it was the trip he was made upto 1st Mate). After a good night ashore came back to the dock and got on board an old launch to take us back to the ship. The launch had been very well looked after and Mark was inspecting the brass work when we heard a splash, into the dock he had gone. What a great ending to the night for us (not so much for him).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Went ashore with then 2/O Mark Andrews and couple of others (think it was the trip he was made upto 1st Mate). After a good night ashore came back to the dock and got on board an old launch to take us back to the ship. The launch had been very well looked after and Mark was inspecting the brass work when we heard a splash, into the dock he had gone. What a great ending to the night for us (not so much for him).
Last I heard of Mark was that he was Harbormaster down at Milford Haven, overseeing the commissioning of the new Gas Berths. In fact I saw a brief interview of him on TV. A very pleasant young man who I first met when we sailed together on the "Furness Bridge"

Regards (Thumb)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I flew out to CAPE TOWN to join FARADAY with full crew, the captain was R.HODGES, anyone remember him?, I joined her July 71,payed off LE-HAVRE Jan72, not a good ship, another ship rammed us went to New Zealand for repairs, then we caught fire!!! fight broke out in crew bar, I was slashed with broken glass!, glad to go home, good riddence faraday!!!!!!!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts