Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amongst the ex Bank Line team, we have often spouted about things tramping, linering, docking etc. I can't remember if we ever had a favourite port thread.
Any ideas? For whatever reason at all, what port rang the bell for you?

China hand.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Amongst the ex Bank Line team, we have often spouted about things tramping, linering, docking etc. I can't remember if we ever had a favourite port thread.
Any ideas? For whatever reason at all, what port rang the bell for you?

China hand.
Kobe
Mike.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Always Bangkok, it seemed just that little bit more wild and I loved the approach up the river.

Half my family live there now, it is not quite the same place.

·
Registered
992 Posts
For me John, a tough decision once upon a time, - Singapore or there. River transit notable, but would probably go Singapore. (Though neither place anything like now).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Too many to speak of. Easier to remember some of the ones which I didn't like! (Dampier in NW Australia was one, another was La Skhirra in Libya and just about anywhere in western Africa).

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Not Bank line but the "opposition"! Penang, Singapore, Hong Kong for runs ashore. San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, to see the missus!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Favourite Port of Call

The best Port of Call that I ever had was Kure in Japan,called
there about seven or eight times on the Empire Orwell,the best
ship that I sailed on.
Dave Williams.

·
Registered
497 Posts
For me it was the Kiwi coast and great times but also Japan and especially Kobe as we used to drydock there but also Kure as i joined a new build there and had many good times.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Going back to the 1950s - 60s, Ma-he ,Seychelles before it was a tourist attraction, Hong Kong where there was a bar every ten yards, Subic Bay where the US Marines thought they were cock of the north until the RN arrived, drinks in every bar that was visited wouldn't take your money, many of our lads drifted back to the ship blotto, great runs ashore --- every port visited the notice went up on the board " VD IS RIFE IN THIS PORT" Same notice went up on arrival back at Portsmouth!!!!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
There has been a thread about best or favorite port but what subject it was under I can't recall.

You can break the best port down by what you liked there and when you were there. Brisbane for gigantic steak meals and giant prawns; Bangkok for the more salacious activites, although Kaoshiung comes just as near but slightly more upmarket, Hamburg for some excellent cultural activites and the best curry wurst in Germany, Singapore in the 1960s for the sheer buzz of being there - very different from when I lived there as a child, Durban for the best lobster thermidor anywhere, Port Swettenham in the 1960s for the unforgettable 'jungle bar' which had absolutely no charm or hygiene whatsoever but some great times and Bugo for the only bed-for-a-night beach near the ship where after a skinful of San Miguel one could sleep it off and get called from someone leaning over the fo'csle for turn-to the next morning. Happy Days.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Home. Port Liverpool always the favourite,but abroad B.A.is among my best ,great bars the best steak in the world great girls and when sober enough I enjoyed the wonderful architecture.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Following on Post # 1 and my post #12, there was a similar - but not the same - thread called "Shore Excursions" on page 10 of the Bank Line sub-site.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Home. Port Liverpool always the favourite,but abroad B.A.is among my best ,great bars the best steak in the world great girls and when sober enough I enjoyed the wonderful architecture.
Tom,
It is my regret that I never sailed from or to Liverpool. The only UK "port" that I visited during my sea career was "Gravesend, explosives anchorage!". I spent my time on the Barber Blue Sea service with Bluies.
Rgds.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Hong Kong before handed back to China. We spent three days there not on Bank Line, but P&O's Canberra and 1954 built Arcadia. What a place. Junks following us into port, and setting up stalls on deck before we even docked, climbing the side of the ship like ants. Tailor's coming to my cabin to measure up for suits, trousers, shirts, the lot. Shoes made to measure all delivered to my cabin on sailing day. On the passenger terminal I would have the best shave ever, eyes tested with new glasses made to order. The passenger terminal was like a mini city, all you needed without going into town. The ship also had a wash and brush up. Going into town was also great, Kowloon. But a trip on the Star ferry to Hong Kong island is a must, and in the cheap section too!

Another favourite port was Cape Town. A ride to the top of Table Mountain a must. The view is stunning.

Sydney was another favourite for obvious reasons, possibly the best harbour in the world, but also our home port on Arcadia, and I had family there, so was like home.

Auckland was my former home, so I loved going back there visiting friends and the hospital where I worked.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Tom,
It is my regret that I never sailed from or to Liverpool. The only UK "port" that I visited during my sea career was "Gravesend, explosives anchorage!". I spent my time on the Barber Blue Sea service with Bluies.
Rgds.
Dave
If I remember correctly the only explosives anchorage in the Thames in the 50's was 'Chapmans Reach' near Southend, the first port reached inwards after that would be Gravesend. Carried explosives on many trips from Chapmans Reach. Explosives down the forward holds, detonators in the aft holds. When discharging they were put in the same barge!

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
If I remember correctly the only explosives anchorage in the Thames in the 50's was 'Chapmans Reach' near Southend, the first port reached inwards after that would be Gravesend. Carried explosives on many trips from Chapmans Reach. Explosives down the forward holds, detonators in the aft holds. When discharging they were put in the same barge!
Guy Fawkes would be in heaven.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The London dockers who did the loading at Chapman's Anchorage earned a fortune for doing so. A couple of days loading explosives, armaments, etc. would give them a pay packet way way in excess of their wages for a week in the docks proper. In fact when they were on-board they were the highest paid people there!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts