Ships Nostalgia banner
221 - 224 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Chance of a joke. But the joke is now lost because Troppo has now corrected his typographical mistake..
You might be able to work it out from the red type in my post. If not then ça ne fait rien .
Or as we say in Welsh does dim ots .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote from The Red Duster:
"The Norwegian Merchant Navy was the only Allied merchant fleet that permitted women to serve on board as radio operators, although Russia might have done so. In spite of women holding identical licences to their male counterparts they faced a closed door during and after the war."

IAN M
In 1985 I joined the Chimo as R/O (became Bergen Pride / Sylvia and other names later), taken over by Wallemship Hkg. Originally built 1984 for the Norwegians and was told my berth was previously occupied by a female Norwegian so clearly at some point they changed their minds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
USA Radio Officer Billie Adele Pennings, who graduated from radio operator training in San Francisco took this route, registering and serving with Norwegian shipping company. After WWII she trained as a veterinarian, and received her DVM degree.

Dr. Billie Adels Pennings, aged 99 of Bellaire, Texas formerly of Corpus Christi, Texas where she had her veterinary practice is shown below after graduation from radio operator training school in San Francisco. This pioneer wanted to serve her country so she registered with Norwegian shipping company, dodging U Boats in WWII.

1.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say about half of the Norwegian radio operators were female in the 1970s, I don't know what the numbers were in the 1960s, but I met a few. I remember a Russian woman who was R/O on a Soviet ship in the early 1970s, also a Filipina woman on a ship from Taiwan in 1971. Around the mid-late 1970s I read articles about American women breaking in to the trade on US ships. I met a Canadian woman who was working keys on a Japanese-owned ship with a Panamanian flag and Filipino crew around 1974. Then there was a British R/O who might have been a woman working on a Greek ship, the crew wasn't sure either.
I was the last R/O on the MT Marion Sleigh/VPIH. The company sold the ship on completion of 6 weeks dry-docking in Amsterdam and sold to the Reidar shipping company who named her the Gruno Reidar (can't remember the call sigh apart from it beginning with O). A very attractive Norwegian radio operator took over from me and I had a most enjoyable hand-over. Found out then that she was just purely an operator, as the 2nd Engineer (who was her boyfriend -DAMN!) was responsible for all of the radio and electronics maintenance on the ship. Different from the UK system.

221 - 224 of 224 Posts