Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jan Hendrik said:
Thanks for the info David. Ch. officer at the AMC site was a certain Angus, you would know him. Forgot the captain's name.

I thought they were still trying to sell the vessel "last year", but as time goes fast, then it might have been couple of years now.....
I have good memories of the dockins in Launceston and my visits to Beauty Point.
Jan

p.s. in case you missed it -- main page -- special purpose vessels -- 2nd page AMC ships.
Jan, Angus was after my time; Frad Hartnack was the original AMC master, I was Mate and later Master before Mike Wood and Bill, (blonde moment, forgot his last name, sorry)..there were a whole series of mates, Ian Moist was one , I think he is still at AMC...the ship did a great job of training cadets; Bob Frost was the original Chief Engineer, he came with the ship, in fact he had been with the ship since its delivery to the Pilots from Scotland in 1954 or thereabouts. I think his son John was Chief on her for a short whilwe after Bob retired...

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Confirming what "Tunatownshipwreck" stated about females on Norwegian ships,
I was working on Norwegian ships for about 6 years in the 1970's, and half of the ships that I was on had female radio officers onboard.
All the Norwegian ships that I worked on, had females working onboard, radio officers, stewardess's etc, to have females working onboard European/Scandinavian ships in the 60/70's was not unusual.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
First female R/O on a British ship

I am virtually certain that the first female sparks on a British ship was a lady called Dallas Bradshaw. I am also virtually certain that Dallas was Canadian but trained in the UK at Colwyn Bay. I have read this somewhere and can dig it out if anyone is interested. She definitely worked for Marconi around 1970 and I think she did a couple of trips with Denholms at the same time as they were employing female cadets/apprentices.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks Paul and ex-sailor for the info re Philippa Reynolds- another senile gap in the memory filled by this website. (And, Paul- we sailed together on SCONZ at some stage...)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unicorn Lines of Durban, South Africa had three female radio officers working the two ro-ro vessels "Border" and "Barrier" from 1989 to 1992. They were Shona Graham, (no idea where she is now): Denise Rose (now Koch), married 2nd Engineer Errol Koch, and Jane (now Rennie) but can't remember her name before she married Captain David Rennie. These girls worked 2 months on, one month off, with Shona being permanent on the Border, Jane on the Barrier, and Denise relieving them.
I also sailed with Rose King who regularly writes letters to the Telegraph. Rose also sailed with Unicorn Lines, think she then went to Safmarine, and I sailed with her on Rogers of Mauritius' ship "Belle Etoile" in 1987.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Chris

Female radio officer Reynolds father was Captain Eric Reynolds who had been with Anchor line of Nelson and served later with the then Northland Harbour Board in Whangarei and the Bay of Islands on tugs, pilot vessels and as marine officer in the Bay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Female R/O's

In reply to the post by Cynter, the lady in question was Angela Firman who I knew quite well. Her father was a Ch. Off. and mother a stewardess on Scandinavian ships.
On one of my trips to Hamburg in 1963 I missed her by a day. The last time I saw her would be at Bridlington in 1959.
I believe she married a Norwegian guy and sailed on Norske ships for a while.
NESWT also have a web site and association.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thankyou Barmyclaresdad..... that clears up my question. I never knew the lady in question cos I was well at sea by then. While I was at sea, I QSO'd a few Scandinavian female R/Os and was very tempted to seek employment with "Scouwegian" companies...but it never happened.
Thanks again mate...
Cheers cynter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi ... Barmyclaresdad.
I forgot to ask, but I assume that you must have been a Brid bloke to know about Angela.... will keep listening.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The first female R/O in a Norwegian ship.

In the 50,60 and 70-ties perhaps half of the R/Os in Norwegian ships were girls. Some as young as 18 or 19.
However the first was a Canadian, Fern Blodgett from Toronto. She was trained in Canada, but this was in the middle of WW2 and she couldn`t get a job in a Canadian or Brit ship. Then along came the MOSDALE (Mosvold Shipping, Farsund) and they badly needed a R/O and took her on. She served on that ship for several years on the North Atlantic, perhaps due to the fact that she married the Captain. The Mosdale was a 17 knots Fruit Carrier and due to the speed she was unharmed during all those years. Brave girl and she sort of set the standard.
Rgds, Knut

·
Registered
503 Posts
Female Radio Operators

A good web site to visit is www.warsailors.com. The site is by a woman called Siri Holm and is about her Mother and Father who were both R/O's. Her Father was at sea from 1937 until the 1970's, mainly as a R/O but he did a spell as a 2/O. Her Mother went to sea as a Galley Maid and finished as a R/O.

A well written site with photos of the ships they sailed on.

Regards

Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

·
Registered
503 Posts
Female R/O's

AWA in Australia is still going and works in the IT area only. It is now in private ownership.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Brocklebanks Female ROs

When I was Chief on Mahsud we had a 2 RO named Ruth . Charming young lady who I think became engaged to the 2nd Mate sometime through the trip . Wonder if any of you Brock lads sailed with her ???
Derek

·
Registered
27 Posts
Liz Banham - Female R\O

Liz Banham(nee Rait) was the first female R\O in P&O, I know because she was my junior for 2 trips (1973\74) on the Taupo between UK and NZ.
She took over from myself at Panama on the way back to NZ and she married Rick Banham (Frosty). Looking at some old crew lists from GCD they looked to have been posted to the same ship together for some time.
Still got the press cuttings from the UK papers who made a big thing about it
at the time.

Graham Palmer

·
KIWI
473 Posts
Female crew certainly was not unusual on Scandinavian ships.On Kronviken we took on two Canadian girls in Vancouver,one as Captain's Tiger the other looked after Mates & Eng'rs.This was way back in 1949 & apparently not at all unusual. Kiwi

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
For those members in Aust we have our own Patsy Adam-Smith who was the first female to be articled as a radio officer when she worked on the Australian merchant ship "Naracoopa" from 1954 to 1960.
Although the "Naracoopa" was a small coaster trading around Tasmania it was still a first in this part of the world especially in 1954.
Patsy Adam-Smith's book, "There was a Ship" is still quite a good read.

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
rknibbs said:
When I did my R/O training in 1968/69 we had one female on our course and I think she went to work for Safmarine, well, that was her intention.
She was on the same course timetable as me at Norwood Tech, 1968-1970, and was married (or engaged) to a Swedish Captain, but I can't for the life of me remember which company. I forget her name, I believe she was getting a ticket to be able to sail with her husband.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
520 Posts
During my tenure as the ops man for Cool Carriers in California I often worked with 2 ladies from Leonhardt & Blumberg of Hamburg. They were Capt. Barbaro Massing & Capt. Barbara Jung of the HANSA class reefers. They were both highly effective ship's masters who ran efficient ships.

On the lighter side, Leonhardts also had a senior male master of the name Jung & when we told him that the newly promoted Barbara would be henceforth known as Young Capt Jung & he would be known as Old Capt Jung he was a bit unhappy. We fixed him by addressing the two as Ugly Capt Jung & Pretty Capt Jung - he settled for being Old!

Keep her steady Babs!

21 - 40 of 224 Posts