Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the name of the 1st ship to be built in the UK in 2 halves and welded together AFLOAT.

Frank

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
As she wasn't welded together afloat it is not the tanker "Rondefjell" but she must have been one of the first built in two pieces. She was ordered by Olsen & Ugelstad from John Crown whose slipways weren't long enough to build her in one unit and the two halves were launched seperately and joined together in Middle Docks dry-dock, and "Rondefjell" was known as 'The half-Crown ship'.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, she was welded together afloat.

Another clue. She was built for a UK (Reg) company in the 1970's.

Frank

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Frank

A laker built for the Great Lakes of USA/Canada springs to mind as well as Prince Rupert City or one of the Temple Boats

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
If i mind right i watched her getting welded afloat(bulker i think)cant mind the name though down at Lithgows yard at greenock.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bobby, you are nearly there.

She was built at Lithgows, but she was a tanker.

Frank

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Frank
The only other Tankers I recall being built their in 70,s at Linthgows were a pair for Korean owners King Star and Gold Star the latter becoming the Nicos J Vardinoyannis for some London Greek Outfit and the Jag Priya for Great Eastern Shipping. Apart from that there was British Spey- now Im stumped

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
More Clues

I know the answer but I won't spoil it for others.
Three more hints:
1. Her bow and stern sections had different names!
2. She had a sister ship!
3. There is a photograph of her in SN Gallery!
(Thumb)

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Since it's you Neville - both sisterships' names (eventually) had the same initials!

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Launched as NAESS SCOTSMAN and name changed to NORDIC CLANSMAN while building. As you say the stern section went in as NAESS and the bow as NORDIC!
Pics in the Tankers Forum.
Sadly only 4 were ever built. The whole area is now razed and forms a new alignment to the main A8 road.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Paul,
Bow was launched as Naess Scotsman and stern was Nordic Clansman. Sistership was Nordic Commander and both were managed by Denholm Ship Management.
Nice one Frank P. (Applause)

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Paul,
I didn't know four ships were built. Obviously with my Denholm connection, I knew of Nordic Clansman and Nordic Commander but, what were the other two? (?HUH)

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
WORLD SCORE and WORLD SCHOLAR originally intended for the ill fated Maritime Fruit Co. who ordered masses of ships in the 1970s and then collapsed leaving yards with uncompleted ships.
The two tankers ordered from Lithgow/s were taken over by the Niarchos Group. I/ve put a pic I took of WORLD SCORE in the Gallery.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Paul,
Thanks for refreshing my memory - that brought a glimmer of recognition in my grey matter! (Thumb)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts