Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Flag of convenience registries proliferate today's Seven Seas.

What was the first significant flag of convenience registry and what was the name of the ship?

Will only accept both correct answers.

No drole or unsavoury remarks about the Saltire pse..

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neville that watering hole thread of yours needs an index...
Then we can start running worldwide guided tours for geriatric jack tars...
Re above.....
You can get the second part of your answer on my gallery but I have to give you "Bombay sent down." (non)..

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
In 1812 American ships flew the Portugese flag to avoid difficulties with the English.In the 1920's Panama became the first country to allow use of her flag followed by Honduras and then Liberia

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R58484956 said:
In 1812 American ships flew the Portugese flag to avoid difficulties with the English.In the 1920's Panama became the first country to allow use of her flag followed by Honduras and then Liberia
Flags of convenience have been around since Roman times so perhaps I should have been more precise in my question. See changes.
I also accept that United Fruit registered mostly under the Honduran flag, after all they owned the country!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lakercapt said:
Could it be the red Ensign after all the I.O.M. is used for that purpose!!!!
Don't know if some of our members would like RE to be considered a f of c.
Would be nice to see some ship name along with answers.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
R58484956 said:
Panama 1933 followed by Honduras & Liberia - Ship name was US owned 'Freedom of the Sea' (Some guess but sounds good) (Thumb)

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
R651400 said:
Neville that watering hole thread of yours needs an index...
Then we can start running worldwide guided tours for geriatric jack tars...
Re above.....
You can get the second part of your answer on my gallery but I have to give you "Bombay sent down." (non)..
Malcolm

Didnt think it would have such a response and Muggins here [promised to take the wife to every location. Never mind the proud Saltire is flying.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Pat McCardle said:
Panama 1933 followed by Honduras & Liberia - Ship name was US owned 'Freedom of the Sea' (Some guess but sounds good) (Thumb)
Pat

I think it would have to be a Brocks ship as it seems they were first to do everything else

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
R651400 said:
Not quite Pat, but spot on with the date, 1933.
I remember reading one of my old Ships Monthly's about this vessel. (Read) It was US owned? Something to do about the Depression years was why they 'flagged out'? Am I not far off with the interpretation of the name? (Thumb)

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pat, Since you were spot on with 1933.
Ship was bought from North American owners and given Greek registry before flag of convenience.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Not sure what ship you are thinking of but in 1923 United American Lines, of New York, transferred their passenger liners "Reliance" and "Resolute" to the Panamanian flag to escape the effects of prohibition which prevented alcohol being served on US flag ships. I think they were the first passenger ships to use Panama as a FoC but the very first seems to have been the "Belen Quezada" which transferred from Canadian to Panamanian registry in 1919. In a delightful bit of poetic justice this ship was in Puntarenas in February 1921 when war broke out between Costa Rica and Panama and she was confiscated by the Costa Rican authorities.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dave, have had to juggle this one around a bit to get the answer I was looking for, yet more and more f of c registries pop out of the woodwork.
Costa Rica in the '50's I remember also as a flag of convenience.
This particular ship and it's owner I'm sure, opened the floodgates to world-wide f of c registry.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The acronym one used to see regarding f.o.c was panlibhon they seemed to be the main ones in the late forties early fifties sailed on a couple myself at the time,I seem to remember a couple of companys which shipped through the pool system with Uk seafarers, Shell,Esso,BTC ,not too sure about Socony Vac.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
janbonde said:
The acronym one used to see regarding f.o.c was panlibhon
Which became panlibhonco when Costa Rica joined.
It's obvious that the ship I am looking for was under Panamanian registry. Will reveal the name soon if their are no further takers.
The stamp below commemorates the first 30 years of Liberian registry, depicting my old ship 1949 st "World Peace." Official number 101.
The Liberians 30 yrs on still think she was a motorship!

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
R651400 said:
Flag of convenience registries proliferate today's Seven Seas.

What was the first significant flag of convenience registry and what was the name of the ship?

Will only accept both correct answers.

No drole or unsavoury remarks about the Saltire pse..
Malcolm

How do we work Liberia out as a F.O.C. as its Shipping office is in the USA

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know it appears ambigious Gdynia, but the ships are registered in Liberia, capital and port of registry Monrovia.
U.S. probably more convenient to do the registration paper-work.
In my case New York, and ticket cost me $10 on presentation of my British one.
I remember signing articles some two months after joining!
On board, I was to stay sober and not carry any offensive weapons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts