Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been announced by the MOD that HMS Illustrious and HMS Bulwark will sail for the Eastern Med immediately from GIB instead of returning home as she was due to do tomorrow. Also HMS Ark Royal will sail ASAP from the UK to Cyprus incase they're needed to evacuate UK civilian's trapped in the Lebanon.

More when , or if , any new anouncements come out( this info from SKY news)

Davie

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is certainally in Rosyth , my Sister and her family were thru her during the annual open day either last week or the week before. I thought she might be rushed thru or it would probably be easier to reactivate the Invincible since she's not in pieces scattered all over Rosyth !!!. As for an airwing I doubt that would be a problem as they're only looking to Evac civillians so she would only need helicopters not Harriers ( unless this idiot of a PM wants to join Israel in bombing the Lebanon !! )

Davie

·
Registered
949 Posts
Davie Tait said:
She is certainally in Rosyth , my Sister and her family were thru her during the annual open day either last week or the week before. I thought she might be rushed thru or it would probably be easier to reactivate the Invincible since she's not in pieces scattered all over Rosyth !!!. As for an airwing I doubt that would be a problem as they're only looking to Evac civillians so she would only need helicopters not Harriers ( unless this idiot of a PM wants to join Israel in bombing the Lebanon !! )

Davie
No Davie

Tony will only attack if george lets him as for the Invincible if she was reactivated instead of putting the Ark back together would that not mean that we need three flat tops and that the invincible was still needed.

No the more expensive route and best time delay put the Ark back together then bring her back and take her back to bits then do the refit.

Makes sense (I think)

Paul

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Any idea where HMS Ocean is at present?. She is just as suitable as any of carriers "IF" any other vessel was needed.

·
Registered
949 Posts
****** said:
Any idea where HMS Ocean is at present?. She is just as suitable as any of carriers "IF" any other vessel was needed.
Probably in or around Devonport as she was to host a visit from the Queen but this was cancelled as she has an outbreak of TB on board.

Paul

·
Registered
949 Posts
re my last post above I do of course mean Hms Ocean has an outbreak of TB on board not the queen as it looks

Paul

·
Registered
903 Posts
It appears the navy HAS again been caught with her knicker,s at half mast.
it is not that we have on interests abroad these days ,but shed loads of our people all over the world.
and they dont,want to be caught up in any thing ,when some politician throws there toys out of the pram, time and time again they try to take short cuts to save money.
on the news is has shown ILLUSTRIOUS and BULWARK but who was that small ship in the back ground?
and once we get there ,which side are we going to be on?
they both have a huge coast line to cover.
Aan who else is going to turn up?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Spot on....

Nice one Yorky Jim...and how so true....

Expect the Argie Navy to be sailing to regain the Falklands as we speak....it'll be a doddle...

We'll be there in 2 months....perhaps just make the new Mayoral parade..?!!!

To everyone who went there last time....I salute you.

Rushie.

·
Registered
321 Posts
According to the July Navy News, Ark Royal is due back in Portsmouth in December, after trials.
Illustrious Gloucester and Fort Victoria presently form the Aquila06 task group, whilst Bulwark, St Albans, Bayleaf and Diligence are in the Northern Gulf.
It would probably be quicker and cheaper to charter a cruise ship out of Greece ;-)

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm the news stated that Bulwark was in northern Spain ????????

Saying that it was only Sky News that reported that so i'm not putting any weight behind that "story" as they've been very very wrong in the past.

Davie

·
Registered
903 Posts
this is the time WHEN we could do with FEARLESS AND INTREPID.
Even getting ashore ,if they would allow us to.
it is better than getting a ship together who is in bits ,than flashing one up that has been laid up.
they may STILL be a need if it really gets out of hand ,and i am not only thinking of there,we were at it in the 1980,s.
a thought for the wise.

·
Banned
38 Posts
My understanding is that Intrepid was literally dropping to pieces some years ago and the Fearless was not much better but when politicians are involved always it is the same old story: God and the Navy we adore, When danger threatens but not before'.
Peter4447

·
Banned
21 Posts
Peter4447 said:
My understanding is that Intrepid was literally dropping to pieces some years ago and the Fearless was not much better but when politicians are involved always it is the same old story: God and the Navy we adore, When danger threatens but not before'.
Peter4447
AMEN (Sad)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
From the BBC News site:

UK 'faces Dunkirk-style pullout'

The operation to rescue thousands of Britons from Lebanon could become the UK's largest evacuation since Dunkirk, a Foreign Office minister has said.

--------------------------------------
Lets hope we don't need the small boats.

Rgds

1 - 20 of 35 Posts