Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody down at Portsmouth(UK) yesterday 28/06/2005 for the fleet review taken some photos of the attendees.

I am informed that there was over 160 warships out there and it looked like it as soon as I can I will put some pics on the board.

Also took quite a lot of video or the evening and afternoon, trafalga battle and fireworks with all the tall ships in if I can and if anybody can advise if it is possible ( Please say if not allowed as I am a newboy) I could put it on for all to see (it is a bit shaky though)

Paul UK

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The review group consisted of the Trinity House tender PATRICIA leading the group, HMS ENDURANCE (A171) with HRH on board, HMS CHATHAM (F87), HMS SCOTT (H131), RFA SIR BEDIVERE (L3004), HMS ENTERPRISE (H88), Yacht LEANDER and replica frigate GRAND TURK.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The Steam Pass group was led by HMS ***BERLAND (F85), followed by HMAS ANZAC (150), HMS GLOUCESTER (D96), HMCS MONTREAL (336), HMS WESTMINSTER (F237) & HMS GRAFTON (F80).

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Unfortunately did not arrive in Portsmouth until last night but watched some of them come in from the end of the dockyard. spending the next 4 days in the Sea Vision stand but with luck might get out on the Essex Police Launch if I meet up with them. Should get some reasonable photos.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
We got it on the news here in Aus last night, one of the most impressive sights I have ever seen.......who said Britain was a spent force?

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,606 Posts
Perhaps True Derek, but literally EVERY British 'warship' that had a working engine and some crew was out there. And I mean EVERYTHING was out there. Add to the fact, that a lot (most?) of the ships there were foreign visitors!

G

·
Glad you liked it guys. Having visited my accountant recently, I can now announce that I was a major financial backer of this event.

Dave (Thumb)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Foggy

A lot of my pics are misty to, when I got there it was either heat haze or the on coming storm hay ho off to international festival of the seas now so maybe some better pics if the rain holds off.

Regards

Paul UK

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
thunderd said:
We got it on the news here in Aus last night, one of the most impressive sights I have ever seen.......who said Britain was a spent force?
Yes but unfortunately a large number werent British!!.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I know I'm going to hate myself for this and will probably be chastised by the moderators for getting political but I just gotta do it

Yes there were a lot of foreign ships there and the old fleet may be getting a bit tired but they can still be rejuvinated and have a sting in their tail, just ask a certain South American country, and a few others as well...

G

·
thunderd said:
..just ask a certain South American country, and a few others as well...
Well, I dunno about that.. The RAF were keeping an eye on them just in case a few Super Etendardes slipped through and gave them a pasting again.

However, as far as being smug about oneself goes, they made a grand job of it. I just hope they don't go mad and award us the Olympics on the strength of it, or I'll have to defer retirement to pay for that too. (*))
Dave

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Ah well Dave that's the penalty you pay for a massive income and unparalled generosity....I suppose good looks are a bit too much to hope for as well....LO(VERY)L

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
thunderd said:
I know I'm going to hate myself for this and will probably be chastised by the moderators for getting political but I just gotta do it

Yes there were a lot of foreign ships there and the old fleet may be getting a bit tired but they can still be rejuvinated and have a sting in their tail, just ask a certain South American country, and a few others as well...
Don't forget HMS Nottingham's invasion of Lord Howe Island last year.
Whoops.

John T.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
As Paul UK says, either heat haze or the beckoning storm, luckily the latter held off until late afternoon. Mind you, the ship I was on had to more on the north side of Spithead so the sun was always in the wrong place.
Close ups look a lot better, see some of them in the gallery in the near future.

G

·
thunderd said:
Ah well Dave that's the penalty you pay for a massive income and unparalled generosity....I suppose good looks are a bit too much to hope for as well....LO(VERY)L
I know, I know! Still, my incredibly young wife finds me attractive and it can't be the money, she has her own!

(Thumb)

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
beryte said:
Security was so stringent at Spithead yesterday that I had to resort to pulling the plug out of the Solent - so that I could walk around the ships!!

These shots were taken from under Ryde Pier. Beryte
Thats a great line but where did u get the crane to pull the plug, last time I saw it it weighed at least two hundred tonnes.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts