Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find out about Axis and German occupied countries “floating dry docks” and their movements and those that have foundered as a result of Allied action in Europe, 1939-1945 for a book I am writing (with little success on this subject).
I have run out of sources, the only listing I can get hold of is what I think is a current listing “floating dry docks” by Wikipedia.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction to try and find out “floating dry dock’s” names, owners & location dates for this period.
Currently am looking for data on the Floating dry dock at Nantes, which was bombed by the USAF on September 16th. & 23rd, 1943 and foundered as a direct result of these attacks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinks for your input, I did take a some on board your suggestion, but I only came up with those in one piece, the problem I came across was there was little account on those that had been bombed by the RAF, USAAF, SAF and those blown-up/destroyed during the European Allied and Axis retreats, scrapped or foundered en-route as a result of enemy action.
It is a subject which there is no other way, but the hard way !, there is only one blessing, the US floating drydock program did not have any influence over this side of the pond in Europe until after the WW2 was over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts