Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I make Santos right, The Union ironclad, Monitor, was the first U.S. ship to have a flush toilet.

Phill

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
John Rogers is off on a cruise (the lucky sod), he has asked me to issue the coconut when somebody got the answer to this, here is what he says:

"The answer is the Union ironclad Monitor, Divers found the toilet,the creation of the ships designer John Ericsson in 1988 in the wreckage of the Monitor off Cape hatteras,North Carolina."

·
Registered
508 Posts
thunderd said:
John Rogers is off on a cruise (the lucky sod), he has asked me to issue the coconut when somebody got the answer to this, here is what he says: "The answer is the Union ironclad Monitor, Divers found the toilet,the creation of the ships designer John Ericsson in 1988 in the wreckage of the Monitor off Cape hatteras,North Carolina."
And what was the first British ship? Maybe the Thomas Crapper??? LOL Vix (K)

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

the search for general grant
MAANZ
recovered three items
lavatory flush lever,toggle handle and counter weight
these three items were found together,but were seperated for the conservation process
staff initially identified them from similar artefact from the water witch site in adelaide
a similar artefact was recoverd on the css alabama wreck site off cherbourg,
the css alabama was a british built ship built in 1862 and sold to the confederate forces and sunk after an hour long battle with the uss kearsarge on 19th june 1864.this wreck is contemporary with the building and loss of the general grant
this type of toilet was used during the 1860s and is derived from a project prosposed to the royal navey in 1778 by joseph bramah and although adopted by the navy it was never used,the uss kearsarge is the only uss battleship not named after a state

·
Banned
21 Posts
Hey chaps, sorry about this, but I am " flushed with happiness at being right "

I think I had better go after that. (Fly)

Chris.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts