Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I post. it's almost impossible to believe the last post on this forum is all of 9 days ago when (before this change of format) 9 plus posts a day would be the Stormy Wx norm...

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Stormy Weather? That used to be a 'restricted access' section but now seems to be open for all whether you previously opted in, out, or whatever. Or is it?
As the whole site seems to have suffered from a Tsunami, storm damage is insignificant.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tsunami maybe ML but more to the point why was it necessary to change format from the last SN vBulletin version to this "faecebook" clone?
If a change was necessary, which it wasn't, if you take SH (aka the other site) still using vBulletin Ver 3.8.7 and not latest version 5.5.3.
Why not a SN update to latest vBulletin version or betters still vBadvanced instead of this??
Since its inception SN is probably one of the only seafaring websites that gives www browsers the most comprehensive return on all matters marine with the finest collection of (now irretrievable) ship images plus personal seafaring data that can be found nowhere else on the internet.
Time for some answers why we are now relegated to just another Zuckenberg clone.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
While the storm about this new site arrangement rages why are all the moderators the normally take heed sitting silent ?
Is there anybody home?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
While the storm about this new site arrangement rages why are all the moderators the normally take heed sitting silent ?
Is there anybody home?
Moderators moderate, they are as much in the dark as the rest of us.
Admin seems to be the point of contact but that just seems to be like a man on the reception desk, not the actual Manager.
This goes much higher, the 'decision' was just like shuffling paper around a meeting table - no one actually looks at it, just nod and pass it on. Someone in charge was 'advised' and signed it off.

·
Administrator
269 Posts
I'm still an administrator here, but as lots of you have moved to the original format on the other channel, its difficult to answer lots of questions in my mail and PM box, if you want to leave a question or observation here, I will come back and try and answer it for you.

Steve

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As I'm responsible for orginating the thread...
One simple question.
Would you kindly inform members why was this format chosen for SN's future rather than a continuation/upgrade of the previous version that has been used from the outset.?

·
Registered
USSCo,Shell,P&O,Bank Line, ODA BSI, pilot Orkney,Honiara,Yambu,Dubai,Yeman, Oil Movements Egypt,etc
85 Posts
If it is not broken leave it alone

·
Administrator
269 Posts
Ok, firstly this new platform is designed for easier use on iPhones and tablets, all is scaled down to fit, VB now is but it is not as good as Xen, secondly the admin controls are much easier for admin and Moderators to use, thirdly and maybe not the answer members want, but the advertising portals on Xen are much more manageable, and you will probably see a lot more, however I believe an opt out version for a fee is just around the corner.

There are also advantages for the members, better interface etc embedded videos etc, but TBH I don't think the members here(especially older members) want the much, just to be able to read and post.

those that persevere may find it better.

·
Registered
USSCo,Shell,P&O,Bank Line, ODA BSI, pilot Orkney,Honiara,Yambu,Dubai,Yeman, Oil Movements Egypt,etc
85 Posts
I believe it is all too confuse us old ones , a bit like flying to the moon on a cycle without without wings

·
Registered
256 Posts
Steve, you have been here since 1970, but have only posted 261 times, so maybe even you weren't involved in the decision to change formats. I am only a Johnny-come-lately,
But, at the age most of us are now (and obviously yourself as well), we probably find Iphone and Tablet screens, plus the use of miniature keys, are so hard for most of us to use that we head for our laptop or desktop computers when we come to this site. Now, to discover I will have to pay a fee to have an ad-free screen, it looks like I will be packing my bag and emmigrating to the site you mentioned in your #11 Post above.

It has been very enjoyable to participate, and contribute, to this site over the years. I was only at sea from 1969 till 2017, and have tended to spend 20 years here, then 10 years there, 15 somewhere else, so to speak. So it has been enjoyable to read the exploits of others who have spent time on the type of ships I have no experience of. I thank you all for your donations of knowledge, wit & humour, and hope to meet you all again on the other site.
Cheers,
Skilly

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
#9...As an elderly non iphone possessing SN member of which I'm sure there are many more your post is most unconvincing especially when you suggest gravitating to another site still running a vBulletin format as SN did prior to this change .

·
Administrator
269 Posts
So What exactly is unconvincing ? I explained exactly why the site moved to the new platform, What bit don't you get?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can we keep this on an even keel..
Firstly any site is only as good as its following and I have yet to read one solitary post on three (now four) threads one of which is your admin feedback that is in favour of the move to this format..
Can you kindly explain why you think your #9 convinces those who feel SN was better as it was.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Further to my analogy at #5
Sometimes you will find someone on the reception desk who really knows what is going on and will give you good advice. He might not be able to change things because he is not the actual Manager or Owner and he still has to work within the given environment, just like everyone else.
Nevertheless it is best to listen to what he says.
I don't think Steve is trying to tell you that the changes are all to the good, but just why the changes were made, which goes some ways towards understanding.

Steve, If I'm going over the top again, just tell me to shut up..

·
Administrator
269 Posts
Malcolm, not at all, people are struggling with the new platform and have asked why we moved from VB to XEN, I have tried to explain( as tactfully as I am allowed) that it is for the benefit of the site owners not the membership UNLESS you are tech savvy? R651400 has missed the point by a bus ride, so I'll try again.

1. the new platform is much better for iPhones and iPads, it aligns much better.
2.the moderation is much easier a bit like going from 25 crew on a container ship, to 4 on the latest huge Mearsk thing.
3.the advertising portal is much easier to control and cleaner ads can be added in seconds and aligned with google or whatever agency they want to use.
4.the new board is comparable with FB, Twitter, Pinterest,Tumblr, all with the touch of a key.

I could go on but I feel as though Im wasting my time, the main point is 1.but I stress maybe not for this membership, but the fact is that over 30% of traffic on Boards now comes from iPhones iPads etc mainly from people on the move.

Again for R651400,I have nothing to do with the fiscal or management side of vertical scope, they made a commercial decision for their business, SN is unique with its membership demographics, unlike the cycling site with is mainly younger people with iPads iPhones etc. With reference to shipping history, it is staying on a vb board exactly because of the membership, and we over there, know that members want simplicity, and something they know how to use.

Again having said that this platform, once you get used it is fine.

clearer ? I hope so.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
...With reference to shipping history, it is staying on a vb board exactly because of the membership, and we over there, know that members want simplicity, and something they know how to use...
Nothing missed on my part but thanks for finally getting to the nub of what I and no doubt many of similar SN disposition wished to corroborate.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts