Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Am looking into my Grandad (Albert's) merchant history during ww2. I know he was on an Artic Convoys and identified he was part of Operation FB on board SS Empire Scott in 1942.

Am trying to pin down where/what Fort Simpson did between July-Oct 1944. Albert was an Able Seaman on board but all his discharge book states 'Special Operations of Europe' while he was on board and this is the same when I've retrieved Fort Simpson's log book from British Archives.

So if anyone could suggest where to look or who to contact for possible more info that would be great. If by the off chance someone already knows that would be incredible.

I've 2 aims with this research, firstly I want to create a video about Albert and where he want and what life for Merch seaman was like in the war. I've already produced a sort of intro to Operation FB though its mostly about Bletchley Park.

Secondly I want to apply for his medals, Albert didn't apply for any he was due and I want to donate these and his story to a museum.

Any help would be really appricated.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Hi Mike,
"Special Operations of Europe" means the ship was involved in convoys to Normandy - D Day and beyond. FORT SIMPSON arrived Normandy D Day +20 on 26th June 1944. The ship was on convoy duty to Normandy during the period you mention. You can check this by visiting the convoyweb site - here: Arnold Hague Ports database
Put the ship's name into the search bar and it should show you her voyages. You can also obtain the ship's movement card for free [if you sign in] from TNA Kew by download here: Ship Name: Fort Simpson Gross Tonnage: 7000, 7133 | The National Archives

To apply for his medals you should first contact the Registry of Shipping and Seamen in Cardiff and check if they already have a medal entitlement for him. There is none showing on the online search but you should still contact them. Be aware if they do not have a medal entitlement [some seamen didn't claim them] or the entitlement has been lost over time, then it will be up to his next of kin to obtain do***entary evidence of service in the relevant theatre of the war. Happy to help you with this should you need it. Medal evidence will be his discharge book and or his CRS 10. Relevant ship movement cards any other relevant records such as crew agreements etc.
I note Roger has given you links for his CRS 10 and Seaman's Pouch in another thread - you should obtain them. Any questions please feel free.

Contact details for RSS Cardiff.

The Registry of Shipping & Seamen
MCA Cardiff
Anchor Court
Ocean Way
Cardiff
CF24 5JW
Email: [email protected]

Regards
Hugh
ps - I have a list of the crew for EMPIRE SCOTT
Ramsay, A. AB. Age, 31 South Shields is noted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hugh,

Thank you very much, this is just what am looking for. For info, the crew list which am assuming you got from the book 'Artic Interlude Independent to North Russia' has Alberts name surname spelt incorrect. It's Ramsey rather than Ramsay.

'To apply for his medals you should first contact the Registry of Shipping and Seamen in Cardiff and check if they already have a medal entitlement for him. There is none showing on the online search but you should still contact them.'

Do you have a link so I could check with correct name to see his entitlement for him ?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Hi Mike,
Yes, sorry, I forgot to edit the name - here is the link for BT 395 I already checked this with the correct spelling - he is not listed. That may be for the reasons I listed in my earlier post. You will now need to contact Cardiff.
Regards
Hugh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts