Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed an album of old sailing ship photographs, and this image was amongst them. I’m completely mystified as to where and when, this could’ve been taken. I have a great interest in shipwrecks, and consequently have several books on the subject, but I’ve never seen or heard of this one before. If you look closely, there is a fourth ship behind the bow of the one on the right. You’d think that four ships wrecked together, (If at all it is wreckage) would be well do***ented. Any light that can be shed on this, would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Tony.

Attachments

·
Banned
21 Posts
Four wrecks

Hi Tony,

The scene looks to serene to be a mass wrecking. The schooner looks to shipshape and there does not appear to be any visible damage to her sail or rigging. The hull also appears to be sound. Had she been the casualty of a great storm, I would have expected to have seen her sail in tatters and some other form of damage.

It all looks like ships being stranded aground at low water rather than wrecks.

The ship on the right could be a hulk, as she appears to have been a square rigger which is minus her fore topmasts and yards. Unfortunately it is difficult to assess the other two ships, but from what can be seen, there does not appear to be any visible damage on any of the ships in the picture.

I could be that the schooner is the casualty, and the subject of an accidental stranding, where I have no idea.

I am afraid thats the best I can come up with, which I am afraid is not much.

Kind regards,

Santos.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for that Santos, when I first set eyes on the photo I just could not believe what I saw, the serene look you mentioned, could be attributed to using a tripod due to the long exposure, then the sea would have turned into a mist like appearance, but having said that, if there was any wind, the sails on the schooner would have been a blur, which they're not. Its a pity that people didn't scribble on the backs of these old photographs, it would save a lot of head scratching!!!. Best regards Tony.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rhiw.com said:
How about this one then, any ideas? Or can you think of a good caption :)D) !!!
Into Voice Pipe, “Captain, that dense fog has cleared but there’s a problem with getting under way again”

·
Banned
21 Posts
" Sorry to bother you Captain, Third Mate here, you know you said to call you if I was worried about anything, well ...............

·
Registered
151 Posts
'3/O, Get the Draught'

This looks vaguely familiar to me. I think a year or so ago there was a TV program about some boat bringing back gold miners, etc from way up the NW coast of the USA/Canada somewhere, and it ran aground, but something went amiss before everyone was got off...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DaveM said:
I don't want to spoil the fun...but the above struck a note with me. On our return from my first deep sea voyage we took on a pilot at Dover, for passage up to Tilbury Docks. Some time after we'd taken the pilot on board, we sailed close in to the shore by the cliffs, and slowed down. The Old Man gave some hefty blasts on the whistle. His wife appeared on the cliff top waving a table cloth to welcome him home. I was told it was his garden that ran down to the cliff edge.

DaveM
This is far from spoiling anybody's fun, Great Nostagia Dave, Regards Tony.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Great Nostalgia

don't want to spoil the fun...but the above struck a note with me. On our return from my first deep sea voyage we took on a pilot at Dover, for passage up to Tilbury Docks. Some time after we'd taken the pilot on board, we sailed close in to the shore by the cliffs, and slowed down. The Old Man gave some hefty blasts on the whistle. His wife appeared on the cliff top waving a table cloth to welcome him home. I was told it was his garden that ran down to the cliff edge.

This is far from spoiling anybody's fun, Great Nostalgia Dave and keep them coming, Regards Tony.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Rhiw.com said:
How about this one then, any ideas?
Hi:
That is a picture of the Canadian Pacific Railway's 'Princess May', which ran aground in fog in August 5, 1910. She fetched up on Sentinel Island in the Lynn Canal, south of Skagway, Alaska, but all 149 passengers and crew were rescued.
Built in 1888 by Hawthorne, Leslie, Newcastle for the Government of Formosa, she had many changes of name and nationality before the CPR bought her in 1901. She measured 1,394GT, 249' x 33', twin screws, triple expansion engines, about 15 knots. In CPR ownership she carried about 75 first class passengers and about the same in 2nd.
Brought off the rocks and repaired, she was sold in 1919 and ended her career about 1930.

Bruce C.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts