Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to see if it's us guy's that have to go on suffering up here..............

Has that "BLOODY FROG" reached the nether regions of the USA/AUS & KIWI yet............if not I'm e-mailing it out to you all, before I put two barrels through the TV.........I dont see why we should suffer alone!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
It must have reached OZ and they knew how to deal with it...
My son as a new ring tone on his phone, it's the frog starting up, a shot being fired and an Ozzy voice say "Shut up you flaming frog".

Excellent stuff.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had confirmation from flyer that the Kiwi's dont have it yet............"What Frog was the reply"

What do you think guy's .........should we subject them to it as well...?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thank you Bob and John, there's life after the B Frog. I'm pretty slick with the mute button, when I can find it, but not slick enough. Torture last night, had it in stereo, 4 year old grandson likes it and he's tuneful, kept singing it even before the blasted ad came on. Has anyone got any ear defenders?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Frog? What frog?Not the frog that got lost in the fog? or the frog that got ate by a dog. The frog that sat on a log then ? how about the frog that lived in the bog? No? Ohhhhh.....the engineer frog that got caught up in the cog? Wait..wait I know.. the Dutch frog that lost a clog? The fitness nut frog that went for a jog? Aaaaah, I give up. Will somebody tell me WHAT FROG!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
He doesn't know! This is definitely a case of ignorance is bliss. Don't think it can last long. Properly, and politely (just occasionally) it's the crazy frog.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It needs to be shredded through the intake of a jet engine the remains liquidised with olium acid and poured down the throat of the inventor........Hmmm I feel better now

·
Banned
2 Posts
This has gone on long enough!
What on earth has this got to do with Ships Nostalgia?
I can see Frog connections in brickwork or dressmaking - but nautical?
Please keep it within your brief otherwise this is time wasting, despite the chat.
I'm sure someone will come up with a nautical connection with the word "frog" without being insulting to a neighbouring nation.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mess Deck
Off topics subjects, but please dont cross the line or you'll find yourself in the brig...

David with all due respect to yourself......the Frog has nothing whatsoever to do with Ships Nostalgia,that is why it is in the Mess Deck for off topic subjects whether they be nautical or not. This is the reason it was introduced to keep it away from the other forums. If members wish to waste their own time here then surely that is their perogative. After all if we cannot have a laugh and a joke with some banter occasionally then this world and this site will become a sad sad place. In fact it is one of the biggest assets going for this site against all others. Bear in mind that many of our members are housebound and retired and have come to rely on the comradrey they find here. Whether it be in the Mess Deck or other forum's, if they go away with a smile on their face then I for one am a happier person. At the end of the day you know the Mess Deck is for off topic subjects.....yet you still choose to visit it!.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
julian anstis said:
Mess Deck
Off topics subjects, but please dont cross the line or you'll find yourself in the brig...

David with all due respect to yourself......the Frog has nothing whatsoever to do with Ships Nostalgia,that is why it is in the Mess Deck for off topic subjects whether they be nautical or not. This is the reason it was introduced to keep it away from the other forums. If members wish to waste their own time here then surely that is their perogative. After all if we cannot have a laugh and a joke with some banter occasionally then this world and this site will become a sad sad place. In fact it is one of the biggest assets going for this site against all others. Bear in mind that many of our members are housebound and have come to rely on the comradely they find here. Whether it be in the Mess Deck or other forum's, if they go away with a smile on their face then I for one am a happier person. At the end of the day you know the Mess Deck is for off topic subjects.....yet you still choose to visit it.
Totally concur, this has been said before.

·
Banned
3 Posts
julian anstis said:
They have now.........its sat in someone's e-mail box down there just waiting to breed (Frogger)
Hehehe, it hasn't arrived in my mail box. Methinks my email filter has picked it up as spam.................. (LOL)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
flyer682 said:
Hehehe, it hasn't arrived in my mail box. Methinks my email filter has picked it up as spam.................. (LOL)

Methinks you better look again!..........He has a habit of infiltrating everywhere.........."Happy listening"

·
Registered
532 Posts
Frog

Frog connection with nautica? Sure is. For those that remember.......... and for those that don't, PAY ATTENTION.

In the old days, (our days) before satnav and all that modern stuff came out There used to be a thingy strung out on the end of a long line at the stern of the ship. It was attached to a clock like thingy attached to a 'shoe' on the rail, right at the extreme stern of the ship. The thingy in the water on the end of the line was called a rotator which was attached to another thingy called A FROG. The FROG prevented the line called a log line from kinking up.When the log line was put in the water after clearing port, the action of doing that was called "streaming the log" and when the oncoming wheelsman took the information from the clock it was called "reading the log". The log line measured distance not speed, and was not entirely accurate, and was just one of the navigators tools, as were the sun and the stars. Those tools got us around the world and back. One must admire those men that did that. I was with a 15 year old apprentice that stood the sick second mate's watch from Panama to Brisbane. Navigated by the sun and stars alone. No radar even. I take my hat off to the memory of those men. Crying out loud, I think that with all this modern stuff even I could be a ship's officer these days.Though I suppose that they still have to know how to navigate by sun and stars in case the modern stuff didn't work.

By the way, I don't own a cell phone. Lived over 75 years without one and can't visualize the need for one. (Night)

·
Registered
241 Posts
oldbosun said:
Frog connection with nautica? Sure is. For those that remember.......... and for those that don't, PAY ATTENTION.

In the old days, (our days) before satnav and all that modern stuff came out There used to be a thingy strung out on the end of a long line at the stern of the ship. It was attached to a clock like thingy attached to a 'shoe' on the rail, right at the extreme stern of the ship. The thingy in the water on the end of the line was called a rotator which was attached to another thingy called A FROG. The FROG prevented the line called a log line from kinking up.When the log line was put in the water after clearing port, the action of doing that was called "streaming the log" and when the oncoming wheelsman took the information from the clock it was called "reading the log". The log line measured distance not speed, and was not entirely accurate, and was just one of the navigators tools, as were the sun and the stars. Those tools got us around the world and back. One must admire those men that did that. I was with a 15 year old apprentice that stood the sick second mate's watch from Panama to Brisbane. Navigated by the sun and stars alone. No radar even. I take my hat off to the memory of those men. Crying out loud, I think that with all this modern stuff even I could be a ship's officer these days.Though I suppose that they still have to know how to navigate by sun and stars in case the modern stuff didn't work.

By the way, I don't own a cell phone. Lived over 75 years without one and can't visualize the need for one. (Night)
This comment brings it all back!!!! On Blue Funnel ships they called the FROG a FISH, why, I dont Know, but we used to stream the log (outword bound from Liverpool) when we were abeam of the South Stack lighthouse on Anglesey, and it used to be read every four hours. there was a wheel next to the clock which was called a GOVERNOR, apparently this was to keep the log line rotating evenly, bringing in the log line was a bit tricky, and had to be done quickly, as the longer it took, the more turns and kinks you would get in it. Regards Tony. (*))

1 - 20 of 29 Posts