Ships Nostalgia banner
61 - 80 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lowestoft Information
In the 1970s members of the Port of Lowestoft Research Society were involved in a project to record as many Lowestoft drifter and trawler funnel markings as possible. There are hundreds of examples now in the Lowestoft Record Office and these are used by local artists for various commissions. Basically Lowestoft is very well covered for liveries and funnel colours of the bygone fleet. If anybody wants to know about Putfords (at one time owner of the preserved Putford Merlin or Mincarlo and not BDSF as some sources state), this is easy. Their ships are at work in the North Sea now. The colour markings on these is the same as that carried by their trawlers, including Mincarlo, just ingnore the "S" if there is one. Go to Yarmouth and you will see many ships operated by Boston Putford, a company now owned by Seacor. The SSVs also visit Lowestoft, sometimes there are three in, but only for about 8 hours (for stores and crew change) then they are off again back on duty near the rigs. The scene when one of these comes in is also the same as when a trawler landed, lots of activity and many taxis on the quayside. I expect many will know that the Boston Putford head office at Lowestoft is the old BDSF and Consolidated office.

Yarmouth Information
Les Hawkins, who many will know through his Yarmouth fishing industry books, complied a detailed list of Yarmouth fishing vessels funnel marking and this is available locally. As with Lowestoft, Yarmouth is well covered.

Hope this is of interest to somebody!!!
Kind Regards

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Lord Hood,
This of course is of great interest to me as I had hoped to get as many funnel liveries onto one research source as possible. I envisage a free to all disc or what ever retrieval system at all sites where fishing vessel research may be carried out. Some ports are more comprehensively recorded than others and it would seem from what you say the East Anglian ports are a case in point. There are other ports however were this is certainly not the case and were recorded funnel liveries are at best fragmented around in small collections or more likely not recorded at all. The very welcome offering by R J Burton further up this page of the Stanley Rowden Ramsgate livery shows how perhaps the smaller ports could disappear so easily from memory and sight. The need for one major source is made when researching a vessels history from photographs and finding many changes of ownership within a port or the sale and movement between ports and being able to access that information without travelling the length and breadth of our once great fishing nation.
Bill

·
OilyRag
2,066 Posts
Hello Bill,
The SN website is rapidly becoming a quasi official source for information, particularly with good input coming in from all over, yourself included.
Keep going.
Regards
Dave

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Added colour

This weeks offering takes a 100 year old photograph and identifies the owners of various trawlers within the jumble that was Grimsby fish docks. Whilst the photograph doesn't allow individual trawlers to be identified it doe's show how helpful the database is in respect of research. The funnel carrying the F may well in retrospect be the Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co but the 1912 Lloyds Book of Flags and Funnels shows it buff/yellow funnel, black smoke cap and black F.
Please use magnifier for best results.
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Eastick family of Gt Yarmouth/ Gorleston has 43 boats between them
starting with the Sailing Vessel Piscator YH105 built in 1858 finishing with
the Motor Trawler Hawkflight A215 built in 1961. They had 2 house flags
both Red & White squares or rectangles in a checkerboard design. Mr H.F.
Eastick, 6 rectangles nearest the mast from top RED, WHITE, RED, outer
WHITE,RED,WHITE. His son H.J.Eastick had 9 squares in 3 rows of 3 as above
but the outer third row RED,WHITE,RED top to bottom. I am sure the preserved steam drifter Lydia Eva YH89 has H.J Flag
My Grandmother was born in GT Yarmouth her maiden name was Eastick but I
never found a link with the fishing family.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Richard Many thanks.
Would like to break my duck with Plymouth.
There were Grimsby trawlers that fished many years from the south coast and kept their GY registry. Owned by W H Chant and then J Chant. The Oakwold GY 948 and Trojan Gy 848 were two to my knowledge and perhaps Atlantic GY 1085 Seahawk GY 1073 and Dereske GY 1144 as well. Any one know the funnel livery of these while on the south coast ?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Postcards

Bill
I am assuming you will have seen these but I have just found among my files four pictures of postcards that I downloaded from ebay. I probably bid on them and lost. They are in a series called House Flags and Funnels and are
Trawlers nos 3, 4, 5, 6. I've attached thumbs because even if you've seen them, others may not have.

Mind you, given your project, you are probably the person who outbid me on ebay!

Hilary

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Hilary
Thank you but I have seen them, "bought" them same way you did.
They are very colourful but don't be too beguiled by the pretty colours.
Take the first sheet you posted of the four (happens to be Sheet No 3 )
F & T Ross Ltd Hull the R should be black.
Charleson Smith Hull both black bands should be same width they show top band narrower
Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Aberdeen should be a black smoke cap, funnel body a greyish green or should say a greenish grey more correctly, with a white W on a red star on a white circle with a blue rim.
J Marr & Son a much fuller red and not the pinkish red shown.
I could go on.
They are though a good starting point but we have to make sure we don't just slavishly copy and perpetuate errors which is why I wish for as much input to the collection from everyone and my weekly sheets are there to be shot down by anyone who wishes a pop and it's fine by me.
Bill

·
Registered
637 Posts
Bill
I admire your attitude and dedication. I have seen many errors perpetuated -from one website to another, for example, or books that have copied errors from earlier books. True research requires not only sources, but checking and cross referencing of sources. All power to you.
Hilary

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Eastick family of Gt Yarmouth/ Gorleston has 43 boats between them
starting with the Sailing Vessel Piscator YH105 built in 1858 finishing with
the Motor Trawler Hawkflight A215 built in 1961. They had 2 house flags
both Red & White squares or rectangles in a checkerboard design. Mr H.F.
Eastick, 6 rectangles nearest the mast from top RED, WHITE, RED, outer
WHITE,RED,WHITE. His son H.J.Eastick had 9 squares in 3 rows of 3 as above
but the outer third row RED,WHITE,RED top to bottom. I am sure the preserved steam drifter Lydia Eva YH89 has H.J Flag
My Grandmother was born in GT Yarmouth her maiden name was Eastick but I
never found a link with the fishing family.
Ken Kent's notes in his book "Herring Heydays" on the Eastick family has very detailed information concerning the family and the house flags used on their drifters, trawlers and longshore boats. If you have a copy of this rare book have a look at page 68. A drifterman all his life, Ken was usually to be found in the summer months on board Lydia Eva showing holiday makers around. He was a member of the Friends of Lydia Eva and also the Port of Lowestoft Research Society. Fortuately he gave me many of his fishing vessel photographs two years before his death, including some of the big Yarmouth steam trawlers.

The funnel of YH89 Lydia Eva now has the Eastick house flag painted up and also the funnel lettering. She is still on Small's slip at Lowestoft.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thanks
I have an East Anglian holiday planned as these ports are poorly represented among the major fishing ports of the UK on my data base. (687 in total to date)
This weeks offering is three funnels that I wish you to look at and comment on. They are just first worked roughs that need verification before a final work over. I have also tried a different way of getting to a thumbnail to avoid printing (which is costly in coloured inks) and scanning prior to getting them onto the forum
So lets see how they turn out and have comments on them as to their correctness
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
To Confirm

Well we didn't do very well with the last posting did we.
Can we try with this next posting. Can any SN member confirm any of these Fleetwood roughs so I can add them to the list. We are now teetering around the 700 mark but still a long way to go to the end. Please feel free to save the funnel liveries into a folder for your own use if you wish to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Hello Billblow:
Some of the early post war built trawlers for the Fred Parkes North Cape Fishing Co had a different hull color from other Bostons/stAndrews as well as a different
funnell color.
Did they have other companys under their owner ship who did not carry their usual colors/funnell colors.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Nicolina
I find the whole question of multiple companies held by one company very confusing. It seems when you look hard that they chopped and changed about either with paper movements or just whims that took them during various times in their ownwership. Just when you think you have come up with the answer you find a photograph albiet mostly in black and white that makes you uncertain again partly because the precise date is missing.
But please everyone don't be affraid to offer them up as we still have 100's out there between us to record.
Bill

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Bill,
It's always been a major problem when painting these trawlers from black & white photo's....especially the earlier ships! You are filling a huge void in this department, and a thank you from me will not be amiss!

Steve

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
To follow up Nicolina's posting of GY 135 Anacoana photo on the gallery and my early "panic" that it was sporting yet another J & G Alward funnel livery, calm returned when a close look showed it to be one on the attached sheet. The white band on my representation may well be a little too wide for the one in the pic but is based on other pics where the band was wider.
Their other companies shown carried the first letter of the vessels name as also show on the examples on the attachment.
I'm fairly certain they all settled down into the black funnel red over white bands carrying a black A over.
Use magnifier facility for best viewing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
Dutch Treat !

This weeks offering of early Dutch funnel liveries is as a huge thank you to SN member Jan H who single handedly provided me with 26 early British funnel liveries I had not previously recorded plus 17 from the Nederlands 6 from Belgian and 27 from France.
It occured to me as so many British vessels were bought or sold with these countries that perhaps an appendix at the rear of the British contingent may be in order. For that reason I redrew them into the database.
Pleae note in getting my originals onto the thumbnail shown, there is a great deal of distortion of colour and lines from those originals.
Anyway the Jan H superb offering shows that coloured funnel liveries are still out there somewhere waiting to be recorded so please keep looking.
Bill
use magnifier for best result when viewing attachments

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
French Stars

This weeks offering shows pre WW1 French fishing companies funnel liveries.
They all include stars and it would appear the further south you go the more colourful they seem to get. Full of Gallic flair one would say. Not one addition from SN members this week, what are you playing at?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Man o War H 181

Trawler Man o War H 181 ON 164423 when scrapped in1963 was registered in Olsen's to the Devon Fishing Co Ltd. Was this an Hellyer Brothers Ltd "paper" company and so had the Hellyer funnel livery of yellow funnel, black cap with a blue flag with a white H or did it have something else on it's funnel ?
What if anything did the Devon Fishing Co of Hull have to do with the Devon Steam Trawling Co Ltd of Fleetwood ?

61 - 80 of 243 Posts