Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was C/Engr. on the Manzanares and Musa for a while. All the banana ports were a good run ashore, especially Golfito!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Seem to recollect Puerto Cortes being an amusing little place - at any time of the day or night (*))

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Puerto Cortes

Ian Haldane said:
Seem to recollect Puerto Cortes being an amusing little place - at any time of the day or night (*))
An occupational hazard when sailing on Bayano and Barranca (the wee container ships) - there every week !!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Hi Guys,
Anyone fancy submitting names of those BOT aquaintances that we sailed with in Fyffes as has been done by the Brocklebank boys ? (of which I once was before Fyffes)

·
Registered
31,259 Posts
its still sad to see ships u have been on gone to the breakers chirripo chicanoa changuinola chuscal chuscal only ten years old thats o .p ,e , c. for u ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P.Cortes

Hi Jim S
Been back to Cortes since Barranca & Bayano as surveyor ,unfortunately social diseases have taken their toll of the usual watering holes. Getting a lot more civilised unfortunately.

·
Registered
19 Posts
John Rogers said:
Never on a "M' boat but sailed on the "A", "B" and "C"
ARIGUANI, BAYANO,CORRALES,and the CAVINA . Oh!! Happy days.
John
Did my first trip to sea on "Ariguani" in March, 1955 - I was 2nd R/O

Regards

Trevor

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
That was a couple of years after me Trevor,we gave her and her sisters the name of "The Sea Going Coalmines" 24 fires back to back.
John

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Fyffes Line 1974

I attach a list of postings on Fyffes Line ships early 1974.

In order to make the print clearer I have divided the page into three sections
Part 1. Barranca, Bayano, Darien, Davao, Magdalena, Manistee
Part 2. Manzanares, MAtina, Mazatec, Morant, Motagua, Musa
Part 3. Patuca, Rio Cobre, Roatan, Ronde, Tucurinca, Turrialba

Attachments

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Doug H said:
Jim S: No Radio Officers??
Fyffes ROs were from Radio Companies (Marconi I think) so probably not known to whoever printed the lists. I sailed on Morant in the '70s as a 'Freelance' and wasn't on the list, I did however, have a fine time

John T.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Doug H said:
Jim S: No Radio Officers??
This was a Fyffes circular and omitted R/Os as they were not direct employees of Fyffes.

As an aside, a good many years ago, and I cannot now remember the ship.
But I recall a newspaper report that a Fyffes ship had sailed up the US East Coast without an R/O. I believe they had left a sick R/O at a previous port.
Possibly the thinking had been that they would be in VHF contact on passage up the coast but this cut no ice with US authorities and were fined for the breach.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Jim S said:
This was a Fyffes circular and omitted R/Os as they were not direct employees of Fyffes.

But I recall a newspaper report that a Fyffes ship had sailed up the US East Coast without an R/O. I believe they had left a sick R/O at a previous port.
Possibly the thinking had been that they would be in VHF contact on passage up the coast but this cut no ice with US authorities and were fined for the breach.
Could this have been Morant? I joined her in dodgy cir***stances in Genoa (story already posted elsewhere on site). She had previously been trading up the US west coast and RO had got into trouble with white powdery substances purchased in Central America.

John T.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Missing R/O

trotterdotpom said:
Could this have been Morant? I joined her in dodgy cir***stances in Genoa (story already posted elsewhere on site). She had previously been trading up the US west coast and RO had got into trouble with white powdery substances purchased in Central America.

John T.
Could well have been - I was not with Fyffes by then and it was just one of these things that caught the eye in a newspaper - the passing years have clouded the detail.

Surprised at the "white powdery substances " - in my day ganja was the halucinate of choise. I suppose that is "progress" . On Camito we would often get a passenger or two from Jamaica with one way ticket to Bermuda - little did they know, or perhaps did not care, that they were under suspicion. They were clever operators though and would engage some assistance from the galley staff and just off Bermuda a choreographed dumping of galley slops would take place at the same time as the packages of ganja was dumped to be picked up by waiting boats. The galley refuse being intended to distract the patrolling police launches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim S said:

can coinfirm as on vessel @ time as 2/0. charterers paid up as cargo urgent. passage was from Golfito to Albany via canal. Illness was not drug related.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Andyroo said:
can coinfirm as on vessel @ time as 2/0. charterers paid up as cargo urgent. passage was from Golfito to Albany via canal. Illness was not drug related.
Thanks Andy, obviously a different episode.

John t.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Andyroo said:
Any one from the 'M' boats before being sold on in the 80's
I was on Mazatec late 83 Golly,Tela,ETC.........Happy Days,Now where did i put that pure coconut oil,suns coming out!

1 - 20 of 229 Posts