Ships Nostalgia banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Anybody remember the name of the river we went up to load at Teco/Teko in the Cameroons W.Africa.
Was it the Bimbia River? Long time ago but remember talking on the HF skeds to the 'Chirripo' or the 'Matina' out of Garston, which was anchored in the Bimbia River waiting to go up to Teko.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Elders and ffyffes

I sailed on the Chicanoa my first trip as baby R/O in 1969 from North Shields 4 months on the US/ central american coast. Then done 2 trips on the Golfito to finish my 6 months before going as solo R/O. Happy times and great runs

·
Registered
78 Posts
I joined the Chicanoa in North Shields After dry dock August 1968. My first trip 2nd R/O the R/O was Maurice Meehan, the Old Man was Morris and C/E was Inverarity. Kevin King was Fridge Eng. Memory fails me after that.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I signed off Chicanoa on 18th July 1968 at South Shields as she was being dry docked. - I had completed 6 months as 2/E on her. Pat Inverarity C/E had joined in Southampton relieving John Smith prior to the run up to South Shields.
Could the Fridge Engineer been Kevin Kilduff and not Kevin King?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Hi George,
My apologies if it seemed I was doubting you. A coincidence that Kevin King become Fridge Engineer on Chicanoa when his predecessor was Kevin Kilduff from Stockport
Hughie King was an Electrician and had thought that the two names had become entwined with the passing of time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Jim, If it had not been that Kevin was from South Shields i would have doubted myself. It was a long time ago. I do however remember sailing between the tyne piers as if it was yesterday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sailed on the Matina III in 1964/5 as galley boy.
My father was Leslie Norman Johnston, he sailed on most of the "T" boats.
He passed away in 1962 on board the Turrialba.

Does anyone remember us and if so have any photographs of him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i was chief cook on manzanares ,1979,chief steward was colin hinds,2nd cook was don roach-bryce,galley boy ginger from dover,a good ship and crew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Motagua hit a reef going from Armulles to canal and Emllyn Hughes would have been the person,l sailed with him as a mate and old man and he was very well liked.
l worked on all the m class except the motag and manznares in the early to middle 70's

·
Registered
5 Posts
I left the Martina in 82 from Genoa, I was a junior Engineer, we had a New Zealander as Fridge Engineer, Bob Davis 3rd engineer and Gary Clarke with his Mrs

181 - 200 of 229 Posts