Ships Nostalgia banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
In September 1969 a Fyffes ship came into Saint John, New Brunswick. The Chief Officer was Colin Leitch who later emigrated to Canada and passed away about 15 years ago. He and I both met our future wives on the same evening at a party aboard the ship. Also aboard was Peter Downey, Chief Steward, whom I remembered as a drinking friend of my Dad's whenever he was home in Gourock. Does anyone remember these two men and what the ship was.

·
Registered
90 Posts
M>Boats

was on these three fine vessels in 79/81 great ships and crews used to run to gulfito/almeranti/turbo/armoise etc. anyone remember Dosa rosa from gulfito
Golfito only good run ashore out of those,on M.Boats from new..Matina,morant,Musa,Magdelana. ships were okay.Iwas in catering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Matina

Golfito only good run ashore out of those,on M.Boats from new..Matina,morant,Musa,Magdelana. ships were okay.Iwas in catering.
Joined Matina in Genoa in '76 and had good runs ashore in Cristobal, Golfito and remember going on a trip to a banana plantation traveling through David in Panama. Can only recall one name Phil Mathews who worked on deck, good crew always up for a good time !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I joined magdalena nov 74 at seattle as galleyboy, chief cook was dennis slade, 2nd cook brian shields,
had 7 happy months. Also sailed on morant 75, did 2 tours on both ships.

·
Registered
70 Posts
"Magdalena"

Any one from the 'M' boats before being sold on in the 80's
Hi: I did one trip as "rent-a-mate" 2/O of "Magdalena" with Capt. Laurie Jewers Nov/Dec 1975. Joined in Southampton, to Panama, Armuelles, Baltimore, Belize (with general cargo), Golfito, Charleston, Turbo, paid off in Rotterdam. Beautiful ship. My photo of "Manzanares" entering the locks is in www.shipspotting.com. Got more photos in the basement. Notchy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a couple more names to add to your list Jim.
C/E Jack (whispering) Russell, Tank top Williams, Ken Peach, Peter Parry, Tony Webb.
2/E Don Walker, Harry Campbell,
3/E George Smart, Mike Todd, Harry Parkinson, Ron Stott, Nick Sufredo,Bede Maduralawala
4/E Dick Sugden, John Hooke, Alan Roberts.
Elec Bob Robinson, Mike Ryan, George Briggs
C/ Stew, Chris Dunham, Mike Wood, Fred / Frank ? Kershaw

·
Registered
701 Posts
Although all of you posting on this site appear to be of post-war vintage, you may be interested in reading the Elders and Fyffes section of my book, SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR, available on Amazon in both print and Kindle format. It contains a wealth of information such as ships’ names, captains, the routes they were lost on, dates and positions when lost, loss of life, hardships endured, and it is likely that you sailed with some of the men involved.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In September 1969 a Fyffes ship came into Saint John, New Brunswick. The Chief Officer was Colin Leitch who later emigrated to Canada and passed away about 15 years ago. He and I both met our future wives on the same evening at a party aboard the ship. Also aboard was Peter Downey, Chief Steward, whom I remembered as a drinking friend of my Dad's whenever he was home in Gourock. Does anyone remember these two men and what the ship was.
Sailed with Peter Downey [Mr twelve and a half percent] on the Tucarinca,he also sat in the pew behind ours in the Ashton Church in Gourock
regards T.Watt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was on her. Sailed as ERS.
Took ages 32 hours to bunker gas oil, then hit the reef and it all shot out the vents. Skipper was a gent, can't remember his name ( age thing ) Billy Passfield was the Bosun.
Remember they gave us a £25 bonus in yen for getting the ballast out at sea.
Happy days

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is a bit harsh to question the engineering knowledge on Mazatec.
As the original writer stated the ship was only 4 months old and for holding down studs on a bank of fuel pumps to shear is most uncommon.
That said the Kawasaki built M-class of motorships had various mishaps in their early careers and were not my favourite ships. Motagua for instance had to take refuge at Hawaii on her maiden voyage when a crack developed across main deck. The other two ships of the class in service at the time were ordered to nearest suitable port where I-beams were welded to the main deck either side of the fore deck hatch coamings from the accommodation to the fo'csle until the builder solved the problem of hull strength.
Turrialba was a turbine ship and not a motor ship.
Was on the fine Motagua at the time of its Pacific mishap. We took refuge at Midway Island and railway lines were brought in from Hawaii to strengthen the deck. All good fun!!
When it was time to weigh anchor the windlass packed up.
She was a ship with character without doubt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Left early 1982 in Genoa

Joined Manzanares as an engine cadet in early 1974 in Long Beach.C/eng was
Willy Duff. I stayed with Fyffes until 1982 when I left the Matina in Genoa as
2nd engineer. Happy days.
I left the Matina early 1982 in Genoa. I was the junior engineer.

Willy Duff was a fantastic man, great CE

John Davies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was the R/O on the MV Morant when she hit the reefs in San Salvador in 1979. Not a great time for the crew but the passengers had a ball.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts