Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we likely to see a searchable gallery any time soon please ? There was a very good one before that we all used at some time.

David

+

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Stand by for a stony silence from the site owners.
An add-on IS available to enable media searching but for some reason they have decided not to install it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
David,

We can already search the gallery use Google.com.

At Google, click on "images."

Enter:

site:shipsnostalgia.com followed by the name of the ship in quotes.

Or do this:

DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified. (DuckDuckGo.com)

Enter: !gi for Google Images. Then after that site:shipsnostalgia.com then the name of the ship in quotes.

DR
QTP NMF

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Yes I have previously tested the Google suggestion before, just tried again. There are results, sometimes, but they tend to be quite random.
So, not quite what we are looking for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes I have previously tested the Google suggestion before, just tried again. There are results, sometimes, but they tend to be quite random.
So, not quite what we are looking for.
I can't imagine how you think it gives you random results. There's not another search feature!

The most accurate results are generally first, but you can find others lower down.

I tried at random a ship that is in the gallery: "Framlington Court" and it found all the photos I knew about plus several I didn't know about.

In any event, I have found that the google web crawler usually works better than internal indexers, you mileage and consumption will probably vary.

DR

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Have just tried this method, & while it appears to be good for finding the photos, the details that went with it are not there. That`s a shame if researching details of a vessel.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
There is a very good site offering quality pictures of shipping. Just google www.shipphotos.co.uk. I have no connection with the site other than a viewer.
Some good outfits mentioned on there as well.

BW
J 😎 😎

·
Premium Member
11,509 Posts
Shipphoto.co.uk. A bit disappointing. Oriana 1995 ... 1. Oriana 1960.... 0!!!! Nieuw Amsterdam .... 0!!!!!!!
Searched for photos of my old ships.... 0!!!! Searched through 'Company', tried Denholm.... 0!!!!!

Most of the photos are recent ship. I will say that the quality seems to be very good and you can buy photos. Easier to search through 'Company' and ship 'Types' give you a better result. Yes, some nice photos, but a very slim pickings. The site has not been updated for over a year.

Stephen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts