Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greenshields, Cowie & Co

On the scrounge again.
This time I am looking for a house flag for Greenshields, Cowie & Co, Liverpool .
I can't find it in Lloyd's at Mystic Seaport .
Just today I have ordered from ABE books, Flags, Funnels and Hull Colors, Colin Stewart. If any one can suggest other books on house flags would appreciate it.

Thanks

Wreckmaster

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sailed with Gibbs of Newport Mon on there Tramp ship East Wales old wartime built ship
Joined in Grays drydocking on the Tees out in middle of nowhere transporter bridge into town ,it had been debugged by rentokil the cockroaches were dying everywhere , sailed to Hamburg to load bagged fertiliser for Bander Abbas in Gulf supposed to load Mauritius sugar for UK but oh no bagged sugar for Taikoo wharf HK then put on two year charter to Chinese Gov. who sub chartered us to Vietfracht N Vietnamese tan with coal to Whampoa,Shanghai, Dirien, Tsamkong from small port in Halong Bay called Port Cam Pha then loaded cement for Chittagong Trincomalee , the weeks loading Rubber and Coconut oil in Galle and Colombo to Haiphong with US aircraft buzzing overhead gun fire all time in port eventually got war bonus 125 per cent wages Min five days so on Whampoa run we were nearly full time war bonus , but all in all it was hellish way to spend two years of youth , when joined City of Glasgow it seemed other world White informs dress for dinner dhobi done for pittance parties in London, Capetown but especially Durban , oh happy days would not have left but they switched us to India /Montreal run

1 - 5 of 5 Posts