Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
He played some of the best & longest drum solo's ever. I think he holds a world record for one of them. RIP Ginger.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
According to an ex neighbour of mine (one Nick Mason) it was Ginger Baker that inspired him to take up drumming. It inspired me too but I'm afraid the call of the sea won out - pity as I might, like Mason, have two nice houses, a large vintage car collection and a helicopter! The reality is that out of every hundred would be rock stars only one will get to the top, so the sea was a better option or at least I force myself to believe that.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
The original for 'Animal'!

The words Rest and Peace, somehow do not seem to apply.
In actual fact "Animal" was based on an earlier Swing Band Drummer Ronnie Verrell. Played for Ted Heath and Syd Lawrence.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I am amazed no-one has said this and it is not meant to disrespect the memory of a musician of immense talent, but my first thought was, Ginger Baker made it to 80! Amazing!
It is a great shame that his name is not better known in his later career, I am sure many have heard and admired him and not known his name and history.

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
There's some great stuff of his, and Cream, on YouTube

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes , He was quite an exceptional drummer ,bordering on Genius probably ,but like many of similar ilk, His head appeared to be full of "Demons."R I P. Ginger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Waighty, A Momentary Lapse of Reason perhaps but at least you got to write Wish You Were Here on all your post card from around the world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts