Ships Nostalgia banner
201 - 209 of 209 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
G'Day from Australia pelerous. I do indeed remember a few of the names. Captain Kennedy was in charge of Mates when I was there. Alec Warden did the Radar Observer at Ardrossan.Andrew Callendarwith a ferocious Kelvinside accent I remember It was a first class school. I started Masters at Plymouth but went back to Glasgow, nothing wrong with the school really, too many good pubs in the West Country. When you were up for Masters did you strike an old friend of mine, now sadly crossed the bar? Norman Liddle, hailed from Oban, served his time with Blue Star then he was longtime with Australian National Line. You would have been up around the same time I think.

· Registered
7 Posts
Challenge to cut accents? I left a small island in mid Atlantic and went from NAESS PIONEER then straight to GCNS... you are joking?!!! Actually did quite well. On PIONEER Jr Engineer Alastair Cuthill spent a few hours with a bottle of whisky and he learned me how say 'GTF'... 'Git tae Fuc*'!!!! After that... easy! ;-) A another few dances at Highlander's Institute.... another experience.

The Yeoman... can't remember, but I remember on day standing up his box waving his signal flags.... "Remember lads when you get up for Examiner.... I drink black rum!"

Back to Alastair Cuthill. First class mate... killed in motorcycle... about '72. His mandolin playing was magic!

Stephen
Good morning from Edinburgh Stephen.
I was browsing the site this morning and came across your post. I know it was some time ago but it struck a chord.
I knew Alastair Cuthill, he was 2 years ahead of me at secondary school in my sister's year, Vale of Leven Academy, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire. He was a great guy and it was he, in fact, who encouraged me to join Denholms as a Marine Engineering Apprentice. We were the first year at GCNS in 1968 and attended classes around all the workies who were still finishing and fitting out. I remember Alastair's mandolin playing as it was excellent and a group of us had the occasional soujourn to the Youth Hostel at Rowardennan for an overnight stay and a visit to the local hotel for folk singing, much beer and a puggled walk back to the sleeping bag on the bunk in the hostel. I am sure 'Cuth' would also have taught you the Gettifu ya bazza! much quoted by Billy Connolly.
We were all shocked when we heard the news about the motor bike accident, none more than his poor mother and sister Fiona.
I seem to remember the Naess Pioneer had a reputation as a work horse (didn't they all). I remember a story Alastair told me about a trip on the Jersey Bridge, one of Clarkson's ore carriers B&W driven. One of the mates found cracking on the decking between hatches and they ended up drilling lots of holes in the deck plating to act as crack arresters. A bit scary ! I did 3 trips with Denholms, MV Baknes ,medium speed B&W's, MV Chemical Explorer B&W and the Naess Champion steam turbine before I left and joined Texaco.
I do hope you get this as some time has passed since your post.
Best wishes
Adam Conn
R899763

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Good morning from Edinburgh Stephen.
I was browsing the site this morning and came across your post. I know it was some time ago but it struck a chord.
I knew Alastair Cuthill, he was 2 years ahead of me at secondary school in my sister's year, Vale of Leven Academy, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire. He was a great guy and it was he, in fact, who encouraged me to join Denholms as a Marine Engineering Apprentice. We were the first year at GCNS in 1968 and attended classes around all the workies who were still finishing and fitting out. I remember Alastair's mandolin playing as it was excellent and a group of us had the occasional soujourn to the Youth Hostel at Rowardennan for an overnight stay and a visit to the local hotel for folk singing, much beer and a puggled walk back to the sleeping bag on the bunk in the hostel. I am sure 'Cuth' would also have taught you the Gettifu ya bazza! much quoted by Billy Connolly.
We were all shocked when we heard the news about the motor bike accident, none more than his poor mother and sister Fiona.
I seem to remember the Naess Pioneer had a reputation as a work horse (didn't they all). I remember a story Alastair told me about a trip on the Jersey Bridge, one of Clarkson's ore carriers B&W driven. One of the mates found cracking on the decking between hatches and they ended up drilling lots of holes in the deck plating to act as crack arresters. A bit scary ! I did 3 trips with Denholms, MV Baknes ,medium speed B&W's, MV Chemical Explorer B&W and the Naess Champion steam turbine before I left and joined Texaco.
I do hope you get this as some time has passed since your post.
Best wishes
Adam Conn
R899763
You mention 3 of the ships I saileds on ; Baknes , Naess pioneer and my favourite , Jersey Bridge. Was not as
drastic as you make out. Some fractures in way of No.5 forward coaming , was spotted in time and she
returned to get them fixed. Neil MacIver was Master and she was a bulk carrier not just ore.

· Registered
1 Posts
Marion Pettigrew P&O EC, GCNS

Marion/Marian Pettigrew P&O Engineering Cadet (c.a. mid 1970’s)

I recently received an email asking if I had ever heard of a Marion Pettigrew a P&O Engineering Cadet who graduated from Glasgow College of Nautical Studies (GKNS) ‘around 1978’. Now she was not just an Engineering Cadet but possible one of the first females to join P&O in such a rank. If P&O ran an Engineering Cadetship in the manner I know she would possible have started in 1976, but as the statement ‘around 1978’ is not precise let’s say mid 1970’s.

Marion Pettigrew came from the Newarthill area, which I found to be in North Lanarkshire and would account for her time spent, presumably the first two years, at GCNS.

I would be interested to hear if anyone knew her, or even better knows where she is

Graham
As a teacher of Geography at Braidhurst High School in Motherwell(1971-1985), I had the pleasure of meeting Marion Pettigrew as a pupil and as a volunteer Assistant Stage Manager of school stage shows, mainly Gilbert & Sullivan operas.
Bobby McClymont

· Registered
953 Posts
Hi all,
If you are or ever have been a merchant seafarer and live in or within easy travel distance of Glasgow, you might like to know that an effort is currently under way to set up a branch of the Merchant Navy Association (MNA) for Glasgow and surrounding areas (also one for Edinburgh etc).
It is still very early stages, but to find out more, go to GlasgowMNA Facebook page and ask to join the group. No obligation (so far) to actually be a member of the MNA.
We already had an initial get together in Glasgow city centre and aim to do some outings over the summer as well.

Nina

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi All,

I already have a thread on the Radio room chat, can I ask you all, did anyone know a Donald Thompson Tracey who attend the Glasgow Nautical college from August 1969 to January 1972? Donald qualified as a Junior Radio Officer, he was 6 feet tall, brown hair and eyes and was born in Glasgow. After leaving college was employed by Marconi international Marine.
in Dec 1972 he left to live in Australia. Did anyone keep in touch with him?

· Registered
26 Posts
Clelland and The Riverside.

I remember one lad in ONC.... as soon as he could 'finish' (aka 1100) a paper on the finals he would hoof over to the Clelland and pis*ed and then back at next paper by 1300! Every day of the exams.

Riverside... up for master's... seems to be popular for the lecturers as well. It was more serious about the work then... would have a pie and mushy peas... and a small bottle of ginger beer.

GCNS... good crowd.

Douglas Watkinson as Head
Watford
Callender
Crozier
Douglas
HH Brown
Ian Pearson
Porrie (sp)
George ...... ah can't remember his last... Bearsden
Moore LaMay (maths)
Tony.... young lad.... talk us up the Cobbler.
Signals.....

... must be more than that.

Stephen
Some names from the past there!

201 - 209 of 209 Posts